ready to inspect rockers..what should i NOT do?

This is a discussion on ready to inspect rockers..what should i NOT do? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i currently have a 99 z28 with 119k on the original motor, never apart, with no mods, no check engine ...

Black
    99 SS clone M6

Question ready to inspect rockers..what should i NOT do?

i currently have a 99 z28 with 119k on the original motor, never apart, with no mods, no check engine lights etc. car idles great, runs really well, and pulls hard to 6000..probably past that. HOWEVER I have a real nasty sounding valvetrain noise on the drivers side front of the valve cover (video on here i posted of the noise, not very good though).
    Im ready to pull the rocker cover off and see if the rockers are loose, and im way to afraid to pull all of them off and inspect them. i just want to wiggle them around and perhaps throw on a torque wrench and set them all to 22 ft lbs. now...i have seen i can do all of this without each cylinder at TDC.
    Is this legit or should i follow the guide where you rotate the engine to TDC number 1, torque the intake and exhaust rockers, then do the corresponding closed valves. since im only doing one side. im a real newbie at trying to set rocker lash on LS motors..so any help or a link on how NOT to make the sound worse can help. FYI noise is loudest at 1800 rpm or so.
    99 z28 m6 ss clone
    79 Z28 (fast as Fu*k) thanks rich
    SLP Loudmouth, Founder's LCA's, BMR APHRD, Tranzilla T56, Exedy clutch SLP Lid FTRA Powerslot rotors 'brock strut brace, SS wheels and SS hood, hurst, 1LE bars, Energy bushs, EBC's
    past: 95 T/A, 78 Z28, 98 Z28, 86 Z28, 00 GSXR 600

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

It would be easier to torque down the rockers in sequence like you said just so you're not fighting the springs.
    Ls1's have noisy valvetrains. Youve probably got week lifters that aren't pumping up as good at low rpms. Check to see if the rockers are good visually and that none seem to be coming apart to be safe, but try using a thicker oil to see if it'll help the lifters pump up faster. What oil are you using now?
    I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

My Cardomain Site My Fquick site Custom Installs

Black
    99 SS clone M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    It would be easier to torque down the rockers in sequence like you said just so you're not fighting the springs.
    Ls1's have noisy valvetrains. Youve probably got week lifters that aren't pumping up as good at low rpms. Check to see if the rockers are good visually and that none seem to be coming apart to be safe, but try using a thicker oil to see if it'll help the lifters pump up faster. What oil are you using now?
    im using 10w30 mobil one high mileage synthetic right now. I was gonna substitute a quart of lucas oil stabilizer...but i dunno. my oil pressure is pretty good as it is now. sometimes close to 70 psi cold and never below 40 psi even at hot idle. it doesnt seem to be affecting the performance of the motor, im just wondering what i can do to quiet the thing down

Thread Information