Ready for a cam need some opinions and good shops in the OK

This is a discussion on Ready for a cam need some opinions and good shops in the OK within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have a 2000 ws6 M6 has about 110k miles. so far i have done ls6 intake, 4:10 gears, slp ...

Ready for a cam need some opinions and good shops in the OK

I have a 2000 ws6 M6 has about 110k miles.
    so far i have done ls6 intake, 4:10 gears, slp lid, hooker long tubes, magnaflow, with Y pipe dumped at axle.

I have been trying to decide which direction to go, i live in OKC area, and have been checking with shops to do a cam swap.

Been seriously thinking of the MS3 cam, but it peaks at crazy high rpm's and this car is more of a garage queen, and only driven maybe a few times a month, and not raced a lot. I may run it at the track a few times, but it is not the direction i am going with this car.

I want the car to be stronger than what it is, and i definitly want the sound the ms3 gives. Been looking at the 228r cam as well, as i think that may be a good option. I am not planning on doing the heads yet, other than double springs.

Anyway, just wondered if anybody has a shop in the OKC area they can recommend and suggestions on some cam options.

thanks!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

I would check with Jodi. She lives in OKC area and she I'm sure can at least tell yo what shops to stay away from.

228 cam is a decent cam that has good street manners and will still give you some pep when you want it. Since you're not looking for a heavy track or street use I recommend finding a good set of use 243 heads. Get them freshen up with new valve guides and springs to match the cam and you'll have a fun car for what you want.

MS3 cams are ok but they were designed early into the LS days. There are way better cams out their that are not so harsh on the valve train. I've read that MS3 cams need to have the valve springs re-torqued every 25,000 miles. If it's a sound you're looking for you can achieve that with the LSA lob. 114-115 LSA's are close to stock while 112LSA's have a Harley sound.

So other issues you need to address or plan for:

New timing chain: :LS2 or C5R timing chain. No need for double TC at this point.
    Oil Pump: Melling 10295 or LS6 oil pump.
    Tune: You will need one.
    Injectors - With a 228 cam I believe you're fine with stock injectors, however if you go with a higher cam you'll need to see what injectors to go with it.

Also:
    Rear - I see you have a M6 with 4.10 gears. Is this on a stock 10 bolt? If so better start saving up for a new rear.
    SFC - ? do you have them yet? Highly recommend getting these. Body flex is easy on this cars.

Here are some threads on recent & current engine builds.

Engine Builds

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Every machine shop in OKC has it's pro's and con's. I've used just about all of them.

But Moore Machine shop is probably the only one I haven't had issues with. They seem to be good guys.
    Last edited by jrbonds; 06-26-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by okiels1 View Post
    I have a 2000 ws6 M6 has about 110k miles.
    so far i have done ls6 intake, 4:10 gears, slp lid, hooker long tubes, magnaflow, with Y pipe dumped at axle.

I have been trying to decide which direction to go, i live in OKC area, and have been checking with shops to do a cam swap.

Been seriously thinking of the MS3 cam, but it peaks at crazy high rpm's and this car is more of a garage queen, and only driven maybe a few times a month, and not raced a lot. I may run it at the track a few times, but it is not the direction i am going with this car.

I want the car to be stronger than what it is, and i definitly want the sound the ms3 gives. Been looking at the 228r cam as well, as i think that may be a good option. I am not planning on doing the heads yet, other than double springs.

Anyway, just wondered if anybody has a shop in the OKC area they can recommend and suggestions on some cam options.

thanks!
    Don't forget to change the push rods.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Thread Information