Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Question about heads and cam.

This is a discussion on Question about heads and cam. within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have a 2000 SS Camaro A4. I drive the car a few days a week to work and cruise ...

  1. #1
    Member Tnhillbilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Age
    53
    Posts
    584

    Red
    2000 Camaro SS #2364

    Question about heads and cam.

    I have a 2000 SS Camaro A4. I drive the car a few days a week to work and cruise around on the weekends. It is bone stock except for a lid, kn filter and ported Tb. I have already bought an LS6 intake. I am thinking of buying a cam and maybe even heads. My goal is to get 400 rwhp give or take , and still keep good driveability on the street.

    I am planning on long tubes, catback, y-pipe w/cats, 373 gears, shift kit, and maybe a stall between 2800 and 3200.

    Would you'all recommend me a setup to get me there?
    Cam?
    Heads that will work with my LS6 intake? (if needed)
    Anything else? Thanks, Jimmy

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    vivian, la
    Posts
    68

    black
    1999 Trans Am

    everyones told me the best cam to go with is the tsp torquer v2 its big but not too big that you have to change lifters and crap as far as heads i don't know your budget but a good set of ported stock ls1 heads flow pretty damn good with the ls6 intake. then youll need a ls2 timing chain and a better flowing oil pump i started a very similiar thread "best way to 395" frankthetank helped me alot give it a look

  3. #3
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,519

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    The 224 is a proven daily driver cam if you're looking for drivability. You don't state your budget so AFR heads would be the upper end of that scale and patriots would be the more affordable.

  4. #4
    Member 2001hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    213

    Black & Black
    2001 Firehawk & 2002 WS-6

    I would strongly recommend going the head and cam route if you can put the money together. Don't get me wrong cam-only still kicks ass, but I have a set of AFR's and a set of patriot stage 2's both push really hard.

  5. #5
    Member Tnhillbilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Age
    53
    Posts
    584

    Red
    2000 Camaro SS #2364

    Blackbird: I will give the thread a look and also the V2 cam.

    Orion: Ive also seen where the 224 is a proven cam also. What will be the difference between the 224 and the V2? I was thinking of the patriot heads (complete). Will the patriots match up with the LS6 intake and what kind of qains can i expect versus stock heads?

    As for a budget, I want to get the best bang for the buck but if I need to spend somewhat extra, I will save up till I get the extra cash.

    Thanks, Jimmy

  6. #6
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,519

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by tnhillbilly View Post
    Blackbird: I will give the thread a look and also the V2 cam.

    Orion: Ive also seen where the 224 is a proven cam also. What will be the difference between the 224 and the V2? I was thinking of the patriot heads (complete). Will the patriots match up with the LS6 intake and what kind of qains can i expect versus stock heads?

    As for a budget, I want to get the best bang for the buck but if I need to spend somewhat extra, I will save up till I get the extra cash.

    Thanks, Jimmy
    The main difference with your auto is the car will stay running at stop lights.
    Last edited by 0rion; 04-14-2007 at 08:19 AM.

  7. #7
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    The V2 is a 230's cam. Its pretty large, You will need a stall to make it work properly. I would say 224, The V2 is a big cam for a 346. It will sound mean, and pull really hard up TOP. For a semi DD, Ide say the 224 is the way to go.

  8. #8
    Member Tnhillbilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Age
    53
    Posts
    584

    Red
    2000 Camaro SS #2364

    Will the 224 still have a somewhat lopey idle? Who has the best 224 cam between comp and tsp?

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    vivian, la
    Posts
    68

    black
    1999 Trans Am

    thats true i forgot about the difference in the auto and the manual, 224 would probably be the best way to go

  10. #10
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,519

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Not sure I've ever read any comparisons between 224 cams. I would imagine there wouldn't be a huge difference. You can go to ls1sounds.com and listen to some cammed cars to get an idea of what your idle would sound like. A 112 lsa will be a bit more choppy but I would get it on a 114.

  11. #11
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    vinci's project AFR heads car
    055 cam 216/224 .551/.551 LSA 113
    http://vincihighperformance.com/BECK...CT%20PAGE.HTML

    test #6 is where they hit the 400 rwhp mark. look at test #7 where they installed 3.73 gears and converter. car went quicker, but now the dyno results were under 400 rwhp. so, don't get hung up on a dyno number.

  12. #12
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Not sure I've ever read any comparisons between 224 cams. I would imagine there wouldn't be a huge difference. You can go to ls1sounds.com and listen to some cammed cars to get an idea of what your idle would sound like. A 112 lsa will be a bit more choppy but I would get it on a 114.
    during the project AFR, vinci tested the comp cams 220/224 .581/.581 lsa 115 with 1.7 rockers and their 216/224 .551/.551 LSA 113 with the 1.8 accelerated lift rockers (brings lift to .589/.589)

    http://vincihighperformance.com/beck...20tricker.html

  13. #13
    Member Tnhillbilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Age
    53
    Posts
    584

    Red
    2000 Camaro SS #2364

    Mrr23: I checked out the links. The gears and stall made a pretty big difference there. In the 2nd link it looked as if the crane/vinci made more power than the comp cam. So i guess all cams arent created equal. I also checked out the Tsp V2, could I run this cam with a 3000 yank converter?

    I checked out some heads. Afr: 2500.00 assembled vs Patriots: 1100.00 assembled. Is the patriots the best bang for the buck or are the afrs worth the extra cash? Also do you think I need heads at all to reach my goal of 380 to 400rwhp.

  14. #14
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    digging deeper into the combo, it's the vinci cam with 1.8 rockers that made more power than the comp cam with 1.7 rockers. remember, the vinci cam has less duration on the intake and same total lift with the 1.8 rockers.it's a matter of picking the right parts.

    if you click the first graph, the AFR heads were the first piece to go on. nothing else. made 37 rwhp with stock tuning. no other head manufacturer has done this kind of test. the patriots are a good buy for the price.

    AFR are all new castings. and 205 cc ports. this makes for a stronger head with great velocity. stock ports are just under 205cc.

    the patriots, for that price, are factory castings that have been ported and milled. port sizes are generally in the 225cc range.

    you can hit 380 without heads. it'll cost you in terms of having to get a large cam to acheive it. this gets into the lumpy cam and some street drive ability. it's up to you. do you want a nice sounding car, where people would only think it's a small cam car? or, do you want a choppy sounding car?

  15. #15
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Not sure I've ever read any comparisons between 224 cams. I would imagine there wouldn't be a huge difference. You can go to ls1sounds.com and listen to some cammed cars to get an idea of what your idle would sound like. A 112 lsa will be a bit more choppy but I would get it on a 114.
    the comp cams 224 with a 581 lift makes more power under the curve than thunders 550 lift 224 cam.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

  16. #16
    Member Tnhillbilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Age
    53
    Posts
    584

    Red
    2000 Camaro SS #2364

    Probably a nice sounding car with a small cam lopey idle. Im supposeing the Ls6 intake and the Patriots will bolt up just fine. Do you know if I will still be able to run on High octane pump gas. I hope Im not asking too many stupid questions, just trying not to buy the wrong stuff and have to do it over again. Thanks, Jimmy

  17. #17
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by tnhillbilly View Post
    Mrr23: I checked out the links. The gears and stall made a pretty big difference there. In the 2nd link it looked as if the crane/vinci made more power than the comp cam. So i guess all cams arent created equal. I also checked out the Tsp V2, could I run this cam with a 3000 yank converter?

    I checked out some heads. Afr: 2500.00 assembled vs Patriots: 1100.00 assembled. Is the patriots the best bang for the buck or are the afrs worth the extra cash? Also do you think I need heads at all to reach my goal of 380 to 400rwhp.
    run the tsp V2 with the normal bolt ons and youll hit 380, and thats without heads.
    patriots are good heads for the money. they will make about 10 less h.p than AFRs.
    a 3500 stall will be perfect and totally DD.

  18. #18
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by tnhillbilly View Post
    Probably a nice sounding car with a small cam lopey idle. Im supposeing the Ls6 intake and the Patriots will bolt up just fine. Do you know if I will still be able to run on High octane pump gas. I hope Im not asking too many stupid questions, just trying not to buy the wrong stuff and have to do it over again. Thanks, Jimmy
    dont run anything past 93. 02s will start throwing coses.
    Last edited by nhraformula; 04-14-2007 at 05:20 PM.

  19. #19
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    digging deeper into the combo, it's the vinci cam with 1.8 rockers that made more power than the comp cam with 1.7 rockers. remember, the vinci cam has less duration on the intake and same total lift with the 1.8 rockers.it's a matter of picking the right parts.
    he wants bang for the buck. getting a cam kit and rockers is not that.
    getting a bigger cam thats still streetable fits his needs.

  20. #20
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    vinci's project AFR heads car
    055 cam 216/224 .551/.551 LSA 113
    http://vincihighperformance.com/BECK...CT%20PAGE.HTML

    test #6 is where they hit the 400 rwhp mark. look at test #7 where they installed 3.73 gears and converter. car went quicker, but now the dyno results were under 400 rwhp. so, don't get hung up on a dyno number.
    TEST 7 1.88 7.77 11.98 117.70
    somebody needs to learn how to drive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. question on heads
    By bluehawk2000 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-30-2009, 04:35 PM
  2. heads question?
    By 99w69kitt in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 11:19 PM
  3. heads question?
    By 99w69kitt in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2008, 05:27 PM
  4. Heads question
    By JwMonE99 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-24-2008, 07:20 PM
  5. PP stg 2 heads and cam question
    By 98formy in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 06:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •