Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Pushrods Upgrade!!!!!

I am having a ticking noise. I believe its the pushrods. I just ordered some, they are the chromemoly ones. Whenever I install them do I need to adjust anything?? Its it just a swap or is there anything I should do?
    This is my first time attempting this and just want to know what else should I do when installing new pushrods. The Rockers are torque down to 22lbs. right?

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

tighten the rocker arms back down to 20 ft./lbs

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Stock valvetrain??
    If so, return the pushrods. Unless you plan on picking up a cam down the road.

Take out the stockers and check them on a flat glass surface. If they are all straight, you have a different issue causing the tick. Assuming a stock valvetrain, if you have a bent one, replace it with a stock straight pushrod.

The problem with running a hardened pushrod on the stock valvetrain is that the stockers will give on a mechanical over-rev saving the valves from hitting the pistons. Hardened pushrods will put your valve into the piston on the over-rev.
    Just a thought.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Purple
    1998 T/A convertable

+1 I helped someone else for 2 days check a tick with this problem. With Hydraulics you wouldn't be able to comp with lash. With solid lifters you'd drown out the noise anyway lol....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Stock valvetrain??

Take out the stockers and check them on a flat glass surface. If they are all straight, you have a different issue causing the tick. Assuming a stock valvetrain, if you have a bent one, replace it with a stock straight pushrod.

The problem with running a hardened pushrod on the stock valvetrain is that the stockers will give on a mechanical over-rev saving the valves from hitting the pistons. Hardened pushrods will put your valve into the piston on the over-rev.
    Just a thought.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Stock valvetrain??

Just a thought.
    Thanks a lot guys. I am really not worry about over-revving the engine anymore. As soon as I fixed this problem I am selling the car. Just wanted to fix the car before someone else gets it. I really didn't like the M6 so I am going back to Automatics. The ONLY thing I like about the M6 was the gas mileage on the highway, but that's it. Anyway thanks a bunch and hopefully I solve this problem as soon as possible.

Thread Information