Pulling the heads soon, what to upgrade?

This is a discussion on Pulling the heads soon, what to upgrade? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I'm going to be pulling off my heads soon (a month or so) to replace a collapsed lifter and I'm ...

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Pulling the heads soon, what to upgrade?

I'm going to be pulling off my heads soon (a month or so) to replace a collapsed lifter and I'm stuck deciding on what to upgrade?

Obviously lifters (probably ls7 style) and I'll do pushrods, springs/seats/retainers (since heads are already off)

Now to the dilemma...I want to bolt one some lt's since I have to pull off the manifolds anyway, but would it be a better Idea in this case to go with a cam, timing chain, and ported oil pump instead of the lt's? I know I'll just waste $$$ to have it tuned twice, but would it be worht it, considering the circumstances? Or should I just suck it up for a little while and save the $$$ to do it all at once?

I'm like rattling my brain figuring everything out, and I'd just like a little bit of outside thought/advice. Thanks!!!!

Red
    2001 Trash Can

I'll be doing all of the labor (minus the tune) by myself by the way.

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

well I would say do all the other stuff and do the lt's in a month or 2. that my opinion though. you don't really need any of those mods without lt's though. you won't hardly get any power out of a cam without lt's

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    well I would say do all the other stuff and do the lt's in a month or 2. that my opinion though. you don't really need any of those mods without lt's though. you won't hardly get any power out of a cam without lt's
    yea I know...that's why I'm havin a hang up on the whole thing. If I do the cam, I'll need a tune (to get it to run correctly) but the power gains will be minimal. the only advantage here would be that It'd be easier to get the accessories and timing cover off with all the shit out of the way, and I'll be able to save some $$ on the valvetrain.

But, I have to unbolt the manifolds anyway.

any more feedback, I'm still confused???

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

if i were you I'd do it all at once. it'll be easier that way and prolly cheaper on gaskets

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, I would hold off and do it all at the same time and tune it once.

White
    99Trans am

i am doing it myself also: and now i know why they charge the $$$$$$$$$$ its a bitch if you have no experince: but my advice is to get everything at ounce saves time and money its been a week and i am already installing the beast back toghther starting with the double roller timing chain: to go fast= hard work and patience....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

make sure you shimmed your double roller or it'll eat into your front cover. Just check it for clearance.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by 99w69kitt View Post
    i am doing it myself also: and now i know why they charge the $$$$$$$$$$ its a bitch if you have no experince: but my advice is to get everything at ounce saves time and money its been a week and i am already installing the beast back toghther starting with the double roller timing chain: to go fast= hard work and patience....
    I'm fine with hard work, and I can work on my patience haha. Did you do the swap with the motor in the car or drop it out. My buddy's dad has a 2 post lift, but not many tools, and the garage I have to use has tools and no lift...It would be a lot easier to do with motor out, but I think I'm jsut gonna go for it with the motor in.

I wanna wait to do everything because of price, but also it'll SOOO much easier to install the new springs on the heads after they're removed (since I have to pull them to get to the lifters).

I was telling my girl what the problem was, and was like...ya know hun, since I'm in there I might as well replace the cam since it'll be cheaper to do it all together, and get headers so the engine can breathe better...she knows better though haha!

White
    99Trans am

i am doing it with the engine in but very true about the springs way easier to install with the heads off

White
    99Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    make sure you shimmed your double roller or it'll eat into your front cover. Just check it for clearance.
    its a slp double roller timing chain and there are spacers and a washer slp said to forget about the spacers but it doesnt look like it needs the washer give me more info about the washer ???

Red
    2001 Trash Can

I just had my car out to get it washed (landlord won't let me wash it in driveway???) and I had the t-tops off and windows down and MAN could I hear the tap!!! I drive mostly city type/ stop and go driving and it sucks cause that's all I can hear...

Anyway, it's loud as shit and I'm just hoping it's a lifter (had 3 different mechanics tell me it "probably" is). Should my car miss at all? Cause I have noticed a difference in the idle, but it doesnt sound like it's missing all that badly. I kinda figured that if a lifter collapsed, there would be a noticeable miss. Anyone help me out on this one?

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    I just had my car out to get it washed (landlord won't let me wash it in driveway???) and I had the t-tops off and windows down and MAN could I hear the tap!!! I drive mostly city type/ stop and go driving and it sucks cause that's all I can hear...

Anyway, it's loud as shit and I'm just hoping it's a lifter (had 3 different mechanics tell me it "probably" is). Should my car miss at all? Cause I have noticed a difference in the idle, but it doesnt sound like it's missing all that badly. I kinda figured that if a lifter collapsed, there would be a noticeable miss. Anyone help me out on this one?
    Me personally I think this could cause a miss. My buddy had a collapsed lifter and it lead to ruining a lobe on his cam when he tore it all apart and looked at the damage. Have you taken the valve covers off to make sure its not anything more simple than a lifter?

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by lvbroham1 View Post
    Me personally I think this could cause a miss. My buddy had a collapsed lifter and it lead to ruining a lobe on his cam when he tore it all apart and looked at the damage. Have you taken the valve covers off to make sure its not anything more simple than a lifter?
    yes, twice JUST to make sure. Pushrods are all straight and nothing wrong with the rockers. Luckily I'll be replacing my cam at the same time!

Thread Information