Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Progress of my head install

I ordered the Patriot Stage II heads about 3 weeks ago, I have to call on Monday to see how much longer its gonna be, they told me 2.5 weeks so who knows

In the mean time, I started taking everything apart, As of now, I have the stock heads removed and started cleaning up the block so when the heads actually do come, I can slap them on and finish this project. I still have to clean all the gunk out of bolt hole, but its coming along.

The Car:

Engine before surgery:

Intake Manifold/Valve Covers removed:

Heads removed:

What sensor is this? I broke it, Its on the driver side head towards the front of the car?

Hopefully the heads comes soon, I'm anxious granted I cant drive it anytime soon thanks to winter
    Pacesetter Headers & ORY, Magnaflow Catback, P&P TB, Koni SA Shocks, Strano Lowering Springs, TSP228R, PRC Dual Valve Springs, LS6 Ported Oil Pump, Vig. 3200 Stall, TransGo Shift Kit, Trans Cooler, Spohn Panhard Bar, UMI Rear LCA's, Relocation brackets, Torque Arm SFC. 411 hp / 386 ft/tq

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

that is the coolant temp sensor.

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

Beautiful car,bro! Good luck on the install. That does look like the coolint sending unit.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

While you're waiting spend some time getting that block as clean as possible. I got all the graphite off of mine. Don't nick the block though, I used a plastic ice scraper and a plastic dish scrubbing whatchamacallit. I even used some scotch brite type pads although you aren't supposed to use those because if the scotch brite particles get into your oil it'll ruin your bearings. I just used them very sparingly and made sure not to get the crap into the cylinders. It took a long ass time it seemed like but it all came off. Double, triple, and quadruple clean those bolt holes. My wife is a nurse and brought me home some of those long ass que-tips on the wooden sticks. Worked great. Find a medical supply place or stop by a dentists office and try to buy you a few of them.

o4goatman

red
    04 gto A/T

I am going to replace the heads in my 04 gto. Any suggestions you can give me so i don't run into bups like you did?

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Yep you need to clean that surface where the head gasket was.. it looks like its still on it.. I would clean that up and use a scraper that doesn't scratch the block or put deep scratches.. you can use a die grinder if you want just make sure you use the pad for almunium. Until the mean time keep it covered and make sure nothing falls in the cylinders. put like some rags and you should be good to go.. Let me know how it turns out...

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by WARP211 View Post
    Yep you need to clean that surface where the head gasket was.. it looks like its still on it.. I would clean that up and use a scraper that doesn't scratch the block or put deep scratches.. you can use a die grinder if you want just make sure you use the pad for almunium. Until the mean time keep it covered and make sure nothing falls in the cylinders. put like some rags and you should be good to go.. Let me know how it turns out...
    Yea, I know I still have to clean it up, I used a scraper already and it actually feels smooth but I still have to clean it up. I have a good 2-3 weeks till I will see the heads, There was a mix-up w/ the order. But they were good about it and gave me free shipping for the misunderstanding. So i have plenty of time to clean the block up

Sunset Orange
    2002 TransAm

It's a good idea to take a wet/dry vac and suck all of the coolant out of the bolt holes before installing the heads, to keep from cracking the block when torquing them down.
    2002 Sunset Orange TransAm 6 spd.
    http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1327/dadsigpic2.jpg

Black
    99 Camaro ss

Looking at your pics I think your oil sending unit broke. Could just be the angle of the pic. Might want to check it out, I would hate to have you put it back together and find it the bad way.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Badass99SS View Post
    Looking at your pics I think your oil sending unit broke. Could just be the angle of the pic. Might want to check it out, I would hate to have you put it back together and find it the bad way.
    good eye, definitely looks broken to me.

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Well I got my heads today! They must have rushed them to me or something. Good call on the oil sending unit, its def. broke I will have to pick up a new one. Also...is this the air pump? And do I need to put it back on?

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

No that's not the air pump, it should be driver side tucked in the fender. It does connect to the air pump if i'm not mistaken because it is part of the emissions system.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that's the newer style air system versus my 98. If memory serves me correctly you have to cap that vacuum port if you take that off. Don't quote me on that though. If you're not running your air system then pull it all out and clean up the engine bay while losing a few pounds.

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Another thing the oil pressure sending unit that you broke is common when taking out the intake. The GM part# is 12562267 the cheapest price i've found is on GMpartsdirect.com for $34, but you can get one at your local parts store for a little bit more. Hope this helps a little.

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Yea, Im not running my AIR system. I got the off-road headers so theres nothing for emissions. So the vote is I can take it out? Also here are some pictures of the new heads!

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by lvbroham1 View Post
    Another thing the oil pressure sending unit that you broke is common when taking out the intake. The GM part# is 12562267 the cheapest price i've found is on GMpartsdirect.com for $34, but you can get one at your local parts store for a little bit more. Hope this helps a little.
    Thank you! I will see what I can find

Black
    99 Camaro ss

Your air will throw a code, need to tune it out.

Black
    '99 TA

Nice clean car!!

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by rcleveland@barrick.c View Post
    Nice clean car!!
    Thank you, Im pretty sure my air is tuned out. Hopefully after work today I can start making some progress on this again!

NBM
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Car is starting to get put back together. Spent the afternoon cleaning out the bolt holes w/ the long q-tips orion recommended and it worked really well. I wrapped some paper towel around the q-tips so it absorbed more coolant. After that I put the new heads on and torqued them down, in the next couple of days when I have time I will begin putting the valve-train and everything else back together and cross my fingers she fires up

Heres some pictures of progress:

and the new oil sending unit that you guys noticed i broke found one at an auto parts store for $40

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information