Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2000 SS

Possible blown head gasket????

Mods are 2000 Camaro SS m6 - Procharger P1 @ 9lb, LS6 Intake, LT, ORY w/ Cut out, Magnaflow CB, Monster 3.5 clutch - 523rwhp 468rwtq

Stock block and heads!

I’m hoping for just a blown head gasket....

So I took the car to the track (1/4 mile) and on my 4th run after it was done and heading back to the starting line, the motor started feeling weird so i pulled over turned it off, checked the oil and everything looked ok. Turn it back on and now a whole bunch of white smoke kind of smelling like coolant is comming out of the exhaust and the car is shaking with a little tick (Like a exhaust leak). Check the radiator and no coolant. So I call a tow truck to get the car back home. Once back home I turn it on again to get it in the garage and now the motor is surging bad like if i would have had a cam in it and a whole bunch of white smoke.... But no knock! so I’m hoping (wishful thinking) that it’s just a head gasket...

I have yet to take a look at anything.. probably do it this weekend. Drain the oil and see what it looks like. then remove the heads and see what that looks like.

Posting to get peoples opinions as well as a little help on diagnosing the problem

Black
    '05 GTO

Well, Mr. Grigo sorry for your turn of events.

In my opinion I would gamble that

1. It's a head gasket.
    2. It blew for a reason.

I would say something got loose between the head and block. I.E. warped a head. I am not to familiar with these late model engines. But I will tell you something we always try on the older engines that do that.

Try just re-torqueing the heads down. Sometimes it works if the gasket didn't go with it and you just stretched the bolts. If not I would pull the head off and check it for flatness, and check the gasket. The spec I think is .004 max. I have not dealt with something that is putting out the power you are before on a late model engine though, so I am interested to hear your findings. Also did you have stock head bolts?
    Best of luck.
    Last edited by Jay37; 01-17-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Black
    2000 SS

I was told i should pull the plugs, and get all the water out. Drain the oil and flush the engine crankcase out with diesel asap (without running the engine...just crank it over without the plugs in it.)

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

How long have you been running 9psi?

Black
    '05 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by youngrigo View Post
    I was told i should pull the plugs, and get all the water out. Drain the oil and flush the engine crankcase out with diesel asap (without running the engine...just crank it over without the plugs in it.)
    Defiantly get the H20 out.
    RUDE, CRUDE, AND SOCIABLY UNACCEPTABLE.

Black
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    How long have you been running 9psi?
    Probably around 6k miles...

Black
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Jay37 View Post
    Defiantly get the H20 out.
    I have never heard of flushing with diesel.... You know anything about that?

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

hey young i hope it is a head gasket for your sake i thought it was on mine too but tore it down and turn out to be a cracked block and it never even got hot on me at all if you do a compression test you will find out where the problem lies insted of pulling both heads off

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

I'd hope for a bad head gasket, pull the heads off and have the pressure checked. I havent really heard of using diesel to flush it out. Does the oil still look clear? Sadly idk of a way to test a block for cracks with it still in the car, get all the water out of the cylinders drain the oil to make sure none got in ther and reassemble if the heads are good. How many miles are on the motor? The boost probably had a hand in blowing the gasket if thats what happened. When you reassemble maybe get some cometic gaskets to handle it better and also upgrade the thickness youll lose a little compression but atleast it would be more safe for boost.

Black
    2000 SS

Im planning on draining the oil and coolent. Pulling the plugs (check if they are wet) and crank the motor with out the plugs. That should give me a good idea

Black
    2000 SS

Ok, let me start by saying that i checked the radiator again with a flash light and the coolant in the radiator was full. Checked the oil again and looked fine. Keep in mind i only drove the car for maybe a minute after I noticed something was wrong.

So i pulled the plugs and except for plug # 5 they all looked good. On plug #5 the gap was closed completely. So I crank the motor and no fluids coming out the spark plug holes except the gas from the injectors. So I put my finger in the hole and its wet, smell it and it smells like coolent. Did it to all the holes and the only one that is wet and smell like coolent was the #5.

Tomorrow I will drain the oil and start removing the heads. Im just going to remove the heads and check it out that way.

Black
    '05 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by youngrigo View Post
    I have never heard of flushing with diesel.... You know anything about that?
    Yes, it's very common in my field, because diesel is a cleaning agent, almost identical to the fluid in a parts washer.

I personally don't use diesel on "my own stuff" only reason is, lets say I flush an engine out with it, then another job comes up and it sits for a couple weeks. Well the diesel will dry similiar to gas, IT WILL NOT LEAVE A FILM. In turn leaving the metal open to the elements... Especcially if the engine is at all torn down. So I use transmission fluid, on something that has the chance of being in a "sitting condition". It will clean, and prevent any corrosion. Alot of old school guys fill there cylinders up with it in the hot rods when there in storage.

In my opinion with the plug, boost, and limited coolant transfer. I would say some shit got stretched. Can you check the torque on the head bolts just to entertain me before you tear'em off. Just because I think that it is a good sign on coolant transfer. Even if the gasket is blown you will be able to see what happens with alot of load. I bet that bitch put down some power! I'm also worried about your short block, It might be good insurance if you can pull your oil pan and just take a look. Hell even if it is a bad rod, you might just be able to swap the bad one, and just go through the rotating assembly with a torque wrench, I will probably get hell from someone for posting this, but brother I have personally blown alot of engines, and learned that there is money to be saved, still believe that after blowing alot of engines, lol.

Was there any knocks?

Black
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Jay37 View Post
    Yes, it's very common in my field, because diesel is a cleaning agent, almost identical to the fluid in a parts washer.

I personally don't use diesel on "my own stuff" only reason is, lets say I flush an engine out with it, then another job comes up and it sits for a couple weeks. Well the diesel will dry similiar to gas, IT WILL NOT LEAVE A FILM. In turn leaving the metal open to the elements... Especcially if the engine is at all torn down. So I use transmission fluid, on something that has the chance of being in a "sitting condition". It will clean, and prevent any corrosion. Alot of old school guys fill there cylinders up with it in the hot rods when there in storage.

In my opinion with the plug, boost, and limited coolant transfer. I would say some shit got stretched. Can you check the torque on the head bolts just to entertain me before you tear'em off. Just because I think that it is a good sign on coolant transfer. Even if the gasket is blown you will be able to see what happens with alot of load. I bet that bitch put down some power! I'm also worried about your short block, It might be good insurance if you can pull your oil pan and just take a look. Hell even if it is a bad rod, you might just be able to swap the bad one, and just go through the rotating assembly with a torque wrench, I will probably get hell from someone for posting this, but brother I have personally blown alot of engines, and learned that there is money to be saved, still believe that after blowing alot of engines, lol.

Was there any knocks?
    No knock! and thanks for the advice.... I know you old school guys have a lot of tricks up your sleeve lol.... I was making 523rwhp on the stock block and heads... Keep in mind that 2000 and before motors used the paper (I think it’s graphite) gaskets. I’m thinking i may have lifted the heads with that much boost.

But if it’s a bad rod, toasted piston or anything like that then the motor is coming out and being replaced by either a 383 or 402 aluminum block!

I will keep you guys posted.

Black
    2000 SS

Pics of the carnage

Looks like i blew 2 pistons

Piston # 5

Piston # 7

This is what it looked like when i pulled the head

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Better than a rod through the block

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Ouch that number 7 seems to very common in letting go. Oh well time for some forged pistons hopefully the walls arent scarred too bad it hard to tell from the pics but they look ok.

Black
    2000 SS

I ran my fingers around the walls and they didnt feel bad at all!

Ouch,,,that explains your spark plug gap being closed. Looks like detonation a good possibility, that's a common issue for broken ring lands.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Yep^^^ have u thought about running a little thicker gasket or domed pistons to help knock down the compression some to make it more boost safe?

Black
    '05 GTO

Hell, Mr. Grigo that's impessive. Two pistons, head gasket/head and such.

I think the question here is how many passes/miles were you able to get on the short block? My vote is next you see how much boost an LQ9 will take, stock block stock heads. Just a thought.

It's cool to see shit get pushed to the breaking point. And I think it takes alot more balls and heart to push something to the breaking point yourself, much respect. seriously.

...if you never fall off the edge how do you know your living on it?,
    Happy wrenchin,

Jay.
    Last edited by Jay37; 01-25-2011 at 04:00 PM.

Thread Information