Snake Eater

Porting stock heads.

Would it be worth it to have my stock LS1 heads ported? If so would I feel a difference? I'm asking, because I'm kind of on a budget and don't have all that money to spend on aftermarket heads yet. Also-- should I purchase subframe connectors for my car first, then cam? or cam then sfc's? Thank you in advance!

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

SFC's are well worth the money especially if you plan on doing any power mods such as a cam. A cam would require more parts than just a cam as well. Depending on what type of cam you get, you'll need new valve springs, locks, and retainers, Hardened pushrods, well worth it considering you're getting into the valvetrain already, and if you want, new lifters as well. While you're at it, you may as well change out your timing chain to a double roller. For heads, you'll need new gaskets as well as new bolts. As far as porting out your stock heads, it can be done but it depends on the shop. I have aftermarket heads and when I received them, I had to clean them up, ie. change all my valves and in general just cleaning them up and it ran me $400 just to have that done. I believe a good shop will charge you between 600 to 800. Cheaper than buying new heads so I'd say it's worth it. But like I said, it depends completely on the shop and their reputation for head porting. SOme port jobs will run about 1000. All in all for a total H/C done right and properly will run you a pretty penny. So start saving and do it right, that's my best advice.
    98 WS6 M6 ASC #2647
    Forged Custom 408 w/Vortec YSi

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

oh ok, so you mean SFC's. they should be a "first mod" hold off on the cam because your gonna need to swap out the springs and retainers, crankbolt and maybe one or 2 other things. there havent been any issues with the timing chains or oil pumps on the 01's that ive heard, but you can change them if you like. I would opt for th ls2 timing chain since its thicker than the stock ls1 or ls6 chain. a ported ls6 oil pump will be better once you begin to build more power in the higher rpms. once again, a full dyno tune will be needed. are you going to do it yourself? or have a shop do it? (the cam install)

Yo, Red those are some very very impressive numbers!! guess i need a forged ls6

Rhino21149
    You can get to 360-370 RWHP normally aspirated without ported heads: cam, headers, good exhaust, cool air, etc., but not much farther.

Ported heads are worth it but its labor intensive work (i.e., your time or your money) so its really worth doing right and going with a really good set: its the same labor and cost to put on good ones or lousy ones.

Porting and a cam almost always push the "sweet spot" for the engine up the RPM scale, a lot if you go for a lot more HP. Point is you'll want to rev higher and that can cost money on its own. Best to put in better valve springs.

Then, too, best ported heads/kits usually have bigger valves (2.08" instead of stock size) and that means heavier springs (those usually come with them) so the heavier values won't float at the higher RPM. Might want to go with shaft-mounted rockers (I would)

You definately do not want to cut corners here. Make sure you have everything budgeted before going into it.
    Last edited by Rhino21149; 09-19-2005 at 01:44 PM.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Took me two years of collecting parts and about 6 months of researching to find a good H/C/Built motor combo. Got the motor from Billings Chevy out here and all I knew at the time, it was a project LS6 that they were putting into a Z06. I later found out it was forged and fully built. When it was dropped in with a hotcam and stock ported heads, she put down 425 rwhp with full bolt on's. Went with a set of JPR Stage 2 heads built with comp 918 springs and manley valves, a TR230 cam, and some other mods and fully tuned she put down 490 on the Dyno. Not bad for all motor. But yeah, after i dropped my motor in, I noticed the T tops didn't fit right anymore and it was slightly warped. I installed a set of SFC's and it pulled everything tight again.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

if you want a good set, I Patriots are always a bang for your buck set of heads cause there is no core charge involved. Do your research first and find the combo right for you

Snake Eater
    okay, thank you all for the help.

Black
    2004 Z06

seriousblack
    As tempting as it may be to invest all your $$ into increasing HP/TORQUE it will mean nothing if you don't strengthen the chassis and suspension and have the right wheel & tire combo. The old adage "Power is Nothing without control" (compliments of Pirelli tires) If you can't get it to the ground who cares how much Horsepower/Torque u have! Invest in that part of the car first. THEN when u add power those initial upgrades will reap big benefits! Later brother

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Don't waste your money on stock heads. Wait and get a new set. Can't wait to get my car tuned. Just got done with a cam swap. Runs a whole lot better but getting it dyno tuned tomorrow by GMMG. Can't wait to see how she runs when tuned right.
    3 inch Chambered Catback.

BLACK
    2004 Monaro

IMO it depends on what you want to do with your car, and what cam you are getting. The stock LS1 heads flow very well without porting. There isnt a head around that can match their low-lift flow figures.

Consider shot-peening instead and a 3-angle valve job. You might be surprised to find that most of the flow gains come from around the valve seat, and not the ports. If you are pumping out 450+rwhp then of course, you will need the added flow porting provides. If its mainly a track only car, then again, porting would be of benefit to you.

Just my 2c worth.

Red
    2017 Z06

I ported my stock heads myself and got 20 hp increase. I do have experience in porting although had none with LS1 heads at the time.

I've ran a best 10.77 @ 122.64 mph with my ported heads.

LSLurker
    _

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Yes absolutly youll feel a difference. BUT if you dont know how to port heads a machine shop that does respectable work can usually get expensive... as is anything high performance. And in response to Nino's write, i agree a cam will be very expenve if you already are hard pressed for cash. And i dont think he mentioned it but everytime you get a new cam it is a must to get new lifters for proper wear.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino21149
    You can get to 360-370 RWHP normally aspirated without ported heads: cam, headers, good exhaust, cool air, etc., but not much farther.
    Most cams these days are able to get to 400 RWHP with tune pretty easily. Stock heads.

Hell....my 'older' Lunati grind just made 376.8 RWHP with no tune. This was with my stock 1999 LS1 heads.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

go01
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po
    Yes absolutly youll feel a difference. BUT if you dont know how to port heads a machine shop that does respectable work can usually get expensive... as is anything high performance. And in response to Nino's write, i agree a cam will be very expenve if you already are hard pressed for cash. And i dont think he mentioned it but everytime you get a new cam it is a must to get new lifters for proper wear.

Yes with flat tappet lifters but not with rollers

Thread Information