Please help me indentify this LS1 valve spring

This is a discussion on Please help me indentify this LS1 valve spring within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; One of my valve springs broke ('99 SS) and it turns out there aren't stock (not bee-hive). I need some ...

Black
    1999 SS

Please help me indentify this LS1 valve spring

One of my valve springs broke ('99 SS) and it turns out there aren't stock (not bee-hive). I need some help identifying the valve spring so i can just buy replacements. Any help woud be appreciated.

The spring OD is 1.26 inches. It has an inner spring which is flat and wide (.24 inch) as it winds down the inside.
    Last edited by tzavaleta; 01-01-2006 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Added attachment

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Is the car cammed??

If not...just get a complete set of COMP 918's. Hell, even if it is cammed up to around .590" of lift get those springs.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

that is a single spring with dampner. you can use the comp 918s. you'll need to get the matching retainers as well. i use the vinci/crane duals on the wife's car. good to 650 lift. you'll need the matching retainers as well. used them on the stock cam for over a year. maybe someone will be able to tell you what springs you have so you won't have to buy retainers.

Black
    1999 SS

No its not cammed

No, its the stock cam. Which is odd why they springs would have been replaced. I'm really trying to avoid having to replace all the springs. I THOUGHT they were Comp Cams 26921 so I bought 2 (i need 2). Turns out the Comp Cams have a different OD and i'd have to buy a set of retainers. I'm hoping to avoid mix-matching and just trying to find what these springs are so I can get two and not replace them all.

Thanks! Once again any help appreciated.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Maybe its just me, but I would wonder why an aftermarket spring failed with a stock cam. A whole set of replacement springs and matching retainers is cheap insurance when compared to the damage a dropped valve could cause.

Has anything else been changed in the valvetrain that you can tell? Still running the stock tune (stock rev limit?) Are you manual or auto? Remember too that the bee-hive design has less moving mass at the top of the coil and retainer, so you are less likely to experience valve float.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Black
    1999 SS

I know what you mean. I've been a little nervous about what is in there. This whole episode has made me question the stockness of my car. After a little PI work I found the old owner. Turns out he used to post here. This was his sig...

S_CUL8R_S Black 99SS M6 Convertible #3207
    Borla, Mac Headers w/ORP, 4.10 Gears, Ripper, Free air, HPP3, Synthetics, !EGR, !TB, Hyper Tech Pulleys, 1/4" air lift, Mcleod Dual Disk/Aluminum FW, K&N, Whisper Lid, 160 Thermo, Nitto DRs, 125hp Dry NOS, NOS RBV, TR6 @ .040, !FOG, !4-Beam & GMS MAF.
    Track Weight: 3460 Fully loaded w/ icechest.
    329 RWHP Before Exhaust, NOS and MAF
    341 RWTQ Before Exhaust, NOS and MAF
    Next: Moser Rearend, SFC's, Stage 2 Heads & T1 Cam.

Problem is, when i got it it appeared totally stock. No borla, no headers, no free air even the shifter was stock (a fault i have since remedied). My first hint that it wasn't stock is once we cracked up the valve covers and saw the springs.

Regarding the springs, after doing a little more research on the net, my springs has similar characteristics and dimensions as the Lunati springs.

The lunati LUN-73943 (picture attached) has the same inner coil design and the same OD. But i'm not sure if its the right one. All things being equal maybe that's enough specs to be close enough?

Thread Information