Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Please Advice on UPGRADES.

This is a discussion on Please Advice on UPGRADES. within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; If you are interested in tuning it yourself you are also going to need a wideband O2 setup. I don't ...

Black & Black
    2001 Firehawk & 2002 WS-6

If you are interested in tuning it yourself you are also going to need a wideband O2 setup. I don't think any of the software companies include that with the program. I would try to find a dyno within range because the dyno will tell you more than the "buttdyno" any day. I generally don't think the mail-order tune gets the tune close enough to the way your car should run but you may have no choice. With 80K miles on the clock I my list would include nothing less than lifters, oil pump, pushrods, springs and retainers,and rod bolts. If you still have more for the cam in there also then go ahead since you will have most of the stuff torn down to do it anyhow. I trust Lunati a little more than I trust Comp but you can do whatever you want. IMO the grind matters more than the company that ground it. The reason I say that is I have one Lunati cam and one from Comp. After the SECOND set of lifters that i got from Comp that half would stay pumped up and the other half that wouldn't, I kinda lost faith in Comp. Whether you go with Comp or Lunati, the cams from either come with asymmetric lobes that are going to ramp up faster and keep you from going more than the stock 1.7 ratio rockers. Basically if you think of the cam lobe graphed out the lobe would sit at zero when on the base circle then it would climb to its peak height faster making more of an upside down half U and after it starts to close it would fall back to the base circle but just before it gets there it would flare a little allowing the valve to seat without slamming shut. Anyway the contact info to the manufacturers are
    Comp at (800) 999-0853 or compcams.com
    Crane at (386) 258-6174 or cranecams.com
    Lunati at (662) 892-1500 or lunaticamshafts.com
    Hope this helps. I would talk to more than one because you never know when you may pick up a useful fact that maybe helps out or just a different perspective. Good Luck
    Also watch out for that 10-bolt.

Black & Black

Quote Originally Posted by CWW17 View Post
    no more pictures then?
    *In best 'soup nazi' voice* "No pictures for you"

White
    1999 30th Trans AM WS6

Ok.. After my discovery of the cylinder wall scratches (thread here) i had to revise my plans abit and i think i have come to a final now.

Like stated in the initial post, my current mods are:
    FAST LSx 90mm Intake manifold
    FAST 90mm throttlebody
    FAST Fuel rails
    Air lid
    Headers
    Underdrive pulley
    LS7 Clutch&Pressure plate

My buying list now looks as follows:
    ARP LS1 Cam bolt kit
    ARP LS1 Cam retainer bolt kit
    ARP Pro LS1 Connecting Rod bolts

LS2 Timing Chain
    Thunder Racing Ported LS6 Oil pump

LS1 Patriot LS6 "Style" 5.7L Stage II Heads (2,02" intake valve size, 64cc) (incl dual springs, stainless steel valves & titanium retainers)
    Mahle Forged Pistons 3,908"
    Camshaft TR-224/224 -112 LSA
    Chromemoly Pushrods
    LS7 Lifters

Federal Mogul Main bearings
    Federal Mogul Rod bearings
    Federal Mogul Camshaft bearings
    End of list.

Does this look OK to you?

All this will cost 3000$. I cant really spend more than this as my economy is stretched as it is. Tho please give me your thoughts and advice if theres something that should be replaced by something else.

I have some questions too:
    1. Will i need new sprockets for the LS2 timing chain?
    2. On the thunder racing website it says that LS1, LS2, LS6 and all Gen III uses the same chain. Here (scroll down). So its not any stronger than my stock?
    3. I heard some good things about the LS7 lifters, and especially the price tag. Will they be good enough, and are they a direct replacement for the LS1 engine?

Thank you

White
    1999 30th Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2001hawk View Post
    *In best 'soup nazi' voice* "No pictures for you"
    hahaha well put

Black & Black

Did the machine shop say they would not need to overbore the cylinders? I would save buying the pistons and rings until after it gets back from the machine shop (in case it hasn't already been). I don't know if the LS2 chain is any stronger, but if you chain has 80,000 miles worth of wear on it I wouldn't reuse it. Every timing kit I have ever bought includes the cam sprocket and the chain, of course I have never had to do an LS-engine. I see you put the Patrot Heads on there. That is definately going to a serious power difference. I don't see the gaskets, rings and oil pump o-ring and such, you probably left them off so that the post wouldn't take 10 pages, but just don't forget the smaller stuff like that o-ring. Good luck.

Nevermind the machine shop sentence I just read your other post where you said they have already check it out.

White
    1999 30th Trans AM WS6

I don't know if the LS2 chain is any stronger, but if you chain has 80,000 miles worth of wear on it I wouldn't reuse it. Every timing kit I have ever bought includes the cam sprocket and the chain, of course I have never had to do an LS-engine.
    I was just thinking if this chain would be too weak for me? Maybe i should go with JWIS, tho i see it is 3x as expensive... And i still have to figure out how to pull the sprocket from the crankshaft and put the new one on... Is there an easy way to do this? It kind of worries me that TR didn't specify in text that the sprockets comes with it... Doesn't bode well. I'll have to check with them to make sure.

Yes i left out the smaller things for the reason you said, but thanks for the remainder

I see you put the Patrot Heads on there. That is definately going to a serious power difference.
    mmmmm makes me happy to hear

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Candice,
    LS2 timing chain will be fine for you, and yes it is stronger than the stocker. http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=620&catid=53 here is an example of them. It is a recommended upgrade for a Head and cammed LS1. Not positive, but I think your current sprocket will fit the LS2 chain. But definately with that setup, get ready to get whiplash. HAHA!!!

Black & Black

Also what did you decide on getting the PCM tuned. Both of my H/C LS1's use GM timing sets. Having an engine "jump time" is a pain in the ass but you are avoiding that for around 100K - 150K miles by replacing it now. I don't see the strength being a concern at all. This would be a time that I would say the extra isn't going to pay off.

White
    1999 30th Trans AM WS6

I just made the orders for these things (YAY!), so now i just have to wait eagerly!

About the tune... It is a big problem indeed since there is no way of getting a real dyno-tune over here. As i understand it tho, the engine wont get damaged without one, so i will get HPTuners and start working with it and see where it will take me. I guess the key is to be careful and not make any changes until i really know what im doing. Maybe i can find some place/website/forum that can help me out in learning.

If however i get nowhere and dont understand anything about the settings, i will look in to a mail-order tune. But seeing as it is 450$ and will leave me without PCM for atleast 2-4 weeks (shipping to usa and back to sweden) i will take a chance with HPTuners and wideband sensors first (as i will have to get this either way).

Thanks so much again, you two

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information