piston ring placement??

Been searching the ol interweb for a good two hours now and there is nothing real set in stone on which piston ring goes for the top and middle. Wondering if you guys can help me out, im using oem gm pistons, didnt come with instructions obviously. Both feel the same tension to me. One has a cutout on the outer edge and a dot on the other side of it. Dots always go up got that, but dont know if thats the middle or top ring. The other ring has no markings, no beveled outer edge, but the inside edge is round. Also there is paint on the sides of both, the non marked is light pink, the one with the cutout is dark purple.

Thanks

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

The ring with no dot and no bevel goes on top and can go either way, just make sure you place the rings in the bore and push them half way down, one at a time and check the gap, adjust as needed. The second ring goes dot up and the bottom is the oil control ring set. Good luck with the rebuild.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    The ring with no dot and no bevel goes on top and can go either way, just make sure you place the rings in the bore and push them half way down, one at a time and check the gap, adjust as needed. The second ring goes dot up and the bottom is the oil control ring set. Good luck with the rebuild.
    You will also need to stager the ring gap at 90 deg.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    You will also need to stager the ring gap at 90 deg.
    Awesome...thanks alot!

Alright so i got more issues now. Im gettin a ton of oil in my number two cylinder ( I replaced piston and rings in number 8 cylinder, which from spark plug inspection is i think doing good.) So yea ton of oil, leakin through header gaskets, coming out of the muffler on that side, spark plug is soaked immediatley. And the number two cylinder is the only one that is gettin oil. It wasn't right away, ran good for a while and got progressively worse to the point where the car wont even start now. The heads were brand new fully assembled 799 heads prior to this startup, and I replaced the spings and retainers myself. Im thinkin valve seal with the amount of oil, but they are brand new, is it easy to mess those up during the process of compressin springs and replacing? Also, the last time i tried to start it, it would turn over a bit and then push a burst of air through the air filter every so many turns...
    Last edited by glamisbound; 01-06-2014 at 06:16 PM.

Thread Information