Red
    2000 Pontiac Firebird

Pesty Ticking Noise

I just bought a 2000 Trans Am WS-6 with 35,000 miles on it. I noticed a ticking noise which is loudest at lower RPM's (about 1300-1700) just before the car shifts into the next highest gear. I brought it to an automotive repair shop and they told me that the rod bearings likely needed to be replaced and that the engine showed evidence of having been over-revved (although it is an automatic and I thought it had a rev-limiter). They made the changes, but the noise is till there. Any suggestions as to what could be causing the noise? Any chance there is still plenty of life left in this engine, or is it doomed for failure?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by matthewatr42 View Post
    I just bought a 2000 Trans Am WS-6 with 35,000 miles on it. I noticed a ticking noise which is loudest at lower RPM's (about 1300-1700) just before the car shifts into the next highest gear. I brought it to an automotive repair shop and they told me that the rod bearings likely needed to be replaced and that the engine showed evidence of having been over-revved (although it is an automatic and I thought it had a rev-limiter). They made the changes, but the noise is till there. Any suggestions as to what could be causing the noise? Any chance there is still plenty of life left in this engine, or is it doomed for failure?
    Well if they just stuck new rod bearings in it without doing any crank work my guess is that's why..imho
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

lifter tick, which is normal. If it drives fine other than the noise (slight chatter) it's the nature of the beast.

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

Sounds like it could possibly be piston slap. Does it change at all when the engine warms up?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

What octane gas are you using?

black
    02 ss camaro

What evidence does the repair shop have to say"the engine showed evidence of being over-revved"? Were the pushrods bent? If so did they replace them?
    Bent pushrods are really the only way you can tell if an engine has been over-revved....Other than a connecting rod hanging out the side of the block!

Red
    2000 Pontiac Firebird

Thanks all for the responses and feedback. To answer some questions, I am using the highest octane gas, but I have only had the car for a couple of months, so I don't know what was used before that.
    Also, the explanation that the auto technician gave me concerning apparent evidence of over-revving was very confusing. I think he was copping out of doing anymore work to correct the ticking noise.
    I think that Smittro is onto something with the possible need for crank work. My understanding is that any crank work is expensive. Assuming that crank work is needed, will postponing such work cause further damage to the engine?
    Any thoughts are appreciated.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thanks all for the responses and feedback. To answer some questions, I am using the highest octane gas, but I have only had the car for a couple of months, so I don't know what was used before that.
    Also, the explanation that the auto technician gave me concerning apparent evidence of over-revving was very confusing. I think he was copping out of doing anymore work to correct the ticking noise.
    I think that Smittro is onto something with the possible need for crank work. My understanding is that any crank work is expensive. Assuming that crank work is needed, will postponing such work cause further damage to the engine?
    IF the rod bearing was the issue in the first place yes it could do futher damage.. Any scoring of the rod journal will eventually damage the new bearing as well.. If you think the engine was over reved it's possible there's a bent push rod/s causing the issue.
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-06-2010 at 02:39 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

To add.... Most folks familier with an engines internal workings know that if you pull a hammered rod bearing out you just can't replace it a new one.. I can't figure why they would replace it and not hit your bill with a crank work charge. It just does'nt make sense to me..

Pewter
    02 Camaro SS SLP

its just the nature of a LS1 to do that, mine does it and has 88000 on it and runs like a champ on and off the street, never any problems, juat get used to it. and any good mechanic knows that the LS1 blocked vehicles tick, just something they do. this is what u need to say to yourself after that dude did the work

Thread Information