Thread: Patriot Heads

Artic White
    1999 Camaro Z28

Patriot Heads

Any one out there running the Patriot cylinder heads? Is so how do they perform. After doing some research they are actually close to the factory cylinder heads. Any help would be geatly appeciated.

White
    2010 Camaro LS

well they start as GMPP cast heads then they are milled down to patriots specifications.. I have a friend that has a set on his 99 camaro, i think they are the cnc 5.3 heads with a 63cc chamber.. anyways he said it was a solid investment for 60 more horsepower at the wheels.. i've never used patriot.. if i went with an aftermarket head it's always been by AFR

Black
    2002 WS6

Ive heard some good things, but I'm not very pleased with mine. When compared to AFR they seem to be down at least 10hp. I think it all depends on your cam though. Many choose a cam and the heads separately. I'm betting that if more people ran pat. cams with the heads, then the results would be better.

Artic White
    1999 Camaro Z28

I was looking at theses because of the cost 1200~1300 versus 2500 for AFR. If i do pick these i will also speak with Patroit on a cam as well.

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

For a budget build they are good heads. You can't compare them to the AFR or Trickflow heads because the the Patriots use stock castings where the AFR and Trickflow are not. That's why the AFR and Trickflow are so much more expensive, and yield much more power. There's only so much you can do with a stock casting.
    2000 Z28: Accufab 4150, Vic Jr. 150 shot, Patriot stg 2 heads, big cam, FLT Stg VI 4L60, S60 rear. Waaay more stuff to list. 3100 LBS.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by RealLiveMD View Post
    Ive heard some good things, but I'm not very pleased with mine. When compared to AFR they seem to be down at least 10hp. I think it all depends on your cam though. Many choose a cam and the heads separately. I'm betting that if more people ran pat. cams with the heads, then the results would be better.
    The Patriot cams are based on lobes that 5+ years old! With everything available now, while their heads are affordable (and debatable) I pass on those grinds. I have seen them come up short to their owners' expectations more than once.

Gunmetal Grey
    1994 Z28 Camaro

Go trickflow or AFR man, if you wanna do it once then do it right. As said, there is only so much you can do with a stock casting, i wish i would of saved another grand or so and went with Trick flow or AFR

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Personally I don't like em. For budget ported stock casting heads the PRC heads from Texas Speed work better.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Personally I don't like em. For budget ported stock casting heads the PRC heads from Texas Speed work better.
    +1 When I did my headswap in April I did a TON of research for weeks on both this site and Tech. I was on a budget so AFR and Trick Flow weren't happening. It came down to Patriot and TSP PRC, and time and time again I read better #s and better reviews on the TSP PRC 5.3 head, and I had mine milled to 59cc to matchup well with my TR224 cam. TSP customer service was A++++ all of the way too! As for gains, I was at 367 HP and 355 TQ before the swap, after adding the heads, LS6 manifold and pulley I hit 414 and 395. Falt torque curve from 2400 all the way up to redline, I'm happy as hell with my decision. Hope this helps
    '00 Black Ram Air TA TR224/224 PRC 5.3 59cc Heads
    Pacesetter LT ORY Hooker CB 414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    BMR PHR, SFC,LCA & TM. Bilstein HD shocks 1LE FSB
    Firehawk Rims w/KDW Custom Headrests & Floormats

Artic White
    1999 Camaro Z28

I will be calling both Patroit as well as Texas Speed today to get some specs on the heads. I actually live about 100~150 miles away from Patroit that was why i was leaning towards them. But if they are not as good as an other I wont use them. I want the most for my money if you know what I mean.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

ive heard stories on both sides of them being hit and miss.

mine have been a hit. im running the older "welded-up" 035 truck casting Patriot Stage II heads (59cc) 2.02"int/1.57"ext. the cam im running is a small single pattern 224/.581/112 lsa, with supporting mods and im putting down 458/410 to the ground.

now i realize my results are not typical. i hear it all the time. but that doesn't keep my car from running like a raped ape. i chose a budget build, a strong street car as my goal. i feel i pretty much reached it.

so coming from this budget, patriot head running builder, if you take the time to build and spec your setup right, there is nothing wrong with going patriot.
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

I have PRC's and if I had it to do over again I would go TEA for a OEM casting. A little more than Patriot or PRC but well worth it........

Artic White
    1999 Camaro Z28

SOMbitch TEA heads I have never heard of those can you give me a little more info on them please?

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

www.totalengineairflow.com

IMO they are are better than than PRC or Patriot.

The very best factory castings are CARTEK or T4P's but you can get a set of TFS for what they cost so.....

Thread Information