Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Patriot cam installed - my thoughts

Well guys the cam is in and she runs great so I thought I'd post up my opinion on this cam since some of you asked about it. First of all it has a really nice choppy idle, nothing too extreme but it definately is noticeable. My car fired on the first turn of the switch and had no problems idling. I did have to do the TPS re-learn to get the idle up a little while in gear because the car bucked and lunged really bad. Now as far as power, I'm impressed with the power but for me having an automatic with the stock 3.23 gears my low end has suffered. The mid range to top end is amazing though, my car pulls harder than hell from about 3,000 RPMS all the way through 6,000 RPMS. It definately has an attitude now! This is a great DD cam that sounds mean and makes great power, I'm happy with it and hope to dyno in around 400 to the wheels. I'll post a sound clip and the dyno sheet once I get it done.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

great news man. glad things we well for you. i would still suggest a tune. that's right, you best be posting numbers
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Silver
    99 Z

What cam / numbers are you running? How much did the whole set up run ya?

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Yeah it needs one bad, I've got to find a good place to get a tune around here. I only know of one place which is an hour away but everyone around here tells me to stay away from them. Oh well, I'll get some numbers up for ya'll though, thanks!

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Patriot 226/226 585/585 on a 112 LSA
    Patriot Gold double valve springs with Titanium retainers, super 7 locks, bases and seals
    7.400 Hardened pushrods
    LS6 oil pump
    LS1 HD timing set

I've got a little over a grand in the whole set-up with all the gaskets, tools, etc... Took me a weekend to complete by myself with No help. BTW, that Moore valvespring tool from Thunder Racing is a POS. What a waste of $124.00! I'm guessing I'm about 370 or so at the wheels with all bolt on's, maybe a little more.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

400 on the cam is going to be tough.
    if your car is an auto, stall it.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

A T-56 is going in at the first of the year which is why I didn't buy a stall. Yeah heads are going to be needed to get me over 400 I'm sure, hopefully it's over 350 at the wheels though with everything I've done to this car.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

with a 224/224 cam, lt headers, volant cai, ls6 intake and tuning, look in sig for numbers.
    we should have numbers very close

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Thanks nhraformula!

black
    1997 corvette 00 WS6 TA

Did your Patriot springs fit good or did you have to change shims and stuff? Just wondering because I bought a set of springs like yours. I have the Comp 918s now but with my cam it kinda makes me nervous. I have the Comp 228/230 with 571/573 on a 112

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by mvvette97 View Post
    Did your Patriot springs fit good or did you have to change shims and stuff? Just wondering because I bought a set of springs like yours. I have the Comp 918s now but with my cam it kinda makes me nervous. I have the Comp 228/230 with 571/573 on a 112

Actually I was surprised at how good they fit. It went like any other spring install, drop the base, tap on the new seal, slap the spring and retainer on there and pop in the locks. The only thing I hate about these springs is how loud they are, it sounds like I have a sewing machine under the hood. You won't have any problems at all though, the fitment and quality is top notch. Good luck with them!!

black
    1997 corvette 00 WS6 TA

I wonder why they are loud? So the spring heigth was ok? I'll have to get mine swaped one of these days. I was going to get the same cam you have but then I decided to go with the 228/230. I kinda wish I would of went with your cam because I do have some low speed driving problems sometimes. I bought this TA for my wife and now she hates it. She said it idles like crap. It's not that bad though. Maybe for a girl

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Ha ha, I know what you mean. My soon to be ex heard it this past weekend when she got the kids and said it sounded funny. I love it though. This cam is a little rough idling but not too bad, when I get the 6-speed in the car it will be alot better. I definatley lost some low end power but once it get's rolling it comes alive so when the 4.10's and T-56 get installed it should be a different car. From what I've heard on LS1tech.com everyone says the valvesprings are noisy due to the increased spring pressure. You can only hear them cruising down the road with the stereo off and windows up though. How hard does that 228/230 pull up top? I was looking at the TR reverse split duration 230/224 which I guess would be similar just in a reverse pattern. Oh and yep the spring height was perfect, better have the crane valve spring tool though, that More valve spring tool from Thunder Racing is a POS on these double springs.

black
    1997 corvette 00 WS6 TA

Quote Originally Posted by 98-LS1 View Post
    Ha ha, I know what you mean. My soon to be ex heard it this past weekend when she got the kids and said it sounded funny. I love it though. This cam is a little rough idling but not too bad, when I get the 6-speed in the car it will be alot better. I definatley lost some low end power but once it get's rolling it comes alive so when the 4.10's and T-56 get installed it should be a different car. From what I've heard on LS1tech.com everyone says the valvesprings are noisy due to the increased spring pressure. You can only hear them cruising down the road with the stereo off and windows up though. How hard does that 228/230 pull up top? I was looking at the TR reverse split duration 230/224 which I guess would be similar just in a reverse pattern. Oh and yep the spring height was perfect, better have the crane valve spring tool though, that More valve spring tool from Thunder Racing is a POS on these double springs.
    yea i have the crane tool. It was well worth the money. I love the cam because it seems to have stock power from idle to about 2500 and then after that it just turns on like hell. About from 28-3000 is where it hits hard. When I had the tune done and headers it seemed to gain about as much hp as just doing the cam. I also have the 6spd so that probably helps

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by mvvette97 View Post

918's will be fine for you i run them in mine, look at my sig

Black
    99 SS

sig
    95 WS6, 6 speed, FULL suspension, 9" spool, Vortech S/C HARD TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

99 Z28/SS Vert Triple Black, H/C

Thread Information