Parts and Price list for my upcoming mods - help wanted

This is a discussion on Parts and Price list for my upcoming mods - help wanted within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Ok guys, so here we go. I bought my car 3.5 years ago with 20k on it as my college ...

Black
    2000 Z28

Parts and Price list for my upcoming mods - help wanted

Ok guys, so here we go. I bought my car 3.5 years ago with 20k on it as my college graduation present to myself, and I've been planning on doing some serious modding ever since. Now I'm a working man, got 60k on it, its not my daily driver anymore, but it's still bone stock. Problem is, everytime I started really doing some saving I'd go and buy something else. I've bought a condo, a 91 300zx twin turbo, a brand new truck, new PC - I know its not 10 grand or more but its money that didn't buy car parts, a big tv, etc etc all in the last 18 months. Well, it's tax season and I've got some dough to spend.

My goal here is a streetable (It isn't and won't be my DD, but I want to be able to drive it to work in the summer on nice days etc.) 450/450 at the wheels. I got a baseline dyno done yesterday and was surprised to say the least to see it put down 317/334 to the point where I'm calling BS on my own numbers because I don't think they're corrected. THough the guy at the shop did say that because it was cold and humid, I may have snagged about an extra 12hp just from that.

So here's my beginning parts (and price) list that I'm working up. Please, if you've got something to add, or you know I can get something cheaper, please chime in and let me know, and I'll edit this post to keep it a "master list"

Note: This is just an engine list that I'll have a shop do because I don't have the indoor space to do the engine work. I'll be doing all my own suspension work once it is nice enough out to work in my parents driveway.

Goal 450 whp/450 tq somewhere in that range.

The easy stuff that I'm pretty much certain about (all prices approx rounded up to the nearest $25):
    FAST 90 intake + 90 TB 1200
    Lid (yeah, I'm THAT stock) 125
    TSP True Duals 475
    Pacesetter Headers 400
    SPEC Stage 2 clutch still pricing around
    Tune (shop I plan to use has a dyno in house) unsure, paritally included in labor

OK, now is where things get a little bit more questionable:

Patriot Stage II heads - but do I want the 2.02 intake or the 2.055 and do I want the 59 or 64CC combustion chambers. I don't plan on making this a blowen car of any sort, and I also never plan on running a big nitrous shot, if any of that matters. LMPerformance sells them in either a bare or assembly, perimeter or centerbolt. I'm unsure which of these I want too. Listed at 1300 or 1050(bare) but the shop I am going to use is a Patriot dealer, and guaranteed to beat any price I can find.

Cam - shop is a lunati dealer, and wants to go with a custom grind based on everything else I choose, and I'm all for this. So I guess a lot of these questions will be answered by he and I when we spec up my cam, but I'll assume I'll be getting the cam, and new pushrods. Will I also need new lifters, or should I get them? What about rockers? I was looking at the thunder racing site and they recommend against going with the 1.8 rockers due to the lift ramp rates on their cams, but are the stockers going to cut it? Also, anyone want to take a shot at a price here?

So I guess thats all the "big" things. What about some of the other stuff. Should I get a U/D put on while things are getting worked on? I talked to two shops, one mentioned ignition components, the other didn't. Will I need new injectors? If yes, any recommendations what to get, from where, and how much?

What about other things to go along with the new clutch?

Thats all I can think of for now. Hopefully some of you guys have some contructive advice for me. I'm not so concerned with what you went with, but why you went with it, or why not something else.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the length.
    Last edited by gashkerwin; 02-05-2008 at 06:34 PM.

M3+LS1=Badass

Cosmos black
    1995 BMW M3

For your goal of 450/450 (my goal as well) you'll need:

lid
    good LT's
    tru-duals
    the Patriot stage 2 LS6 heads (59cc)
    FAST 90/90
    230 or bigger cam
    tune

Your goals will be easily reached with that setup

98 Formula
    06 duramax

as far as price keep in mind that you can get a pretty sizeable price break by ordering everything through one vendor and doing it by phone instead of the internet. I started out trying to piece and part mine from several places but finally broke down and called a shop and got a pretty decent price break by phone for ordering everything through one person.
    You do all of that with a decent cam and you should put down pretty close to your target. Depending on your budget and how serious you are with your goal a set of AFR heads will get you more power.....at a price.

Black
    2000 Z28

As far as going all the same vendor, it doesn't seem like any single vendor sells everything I want. I had that thought, and was browsing through some of the sponsor websites. Part of the problem with that is that some of our sponsor's websites are flat out horrible, and being a web designer, the thought of buying from a company who targeting internet sales but has a crappy website just bothers me.

Any thoughts on why the 59cc vs 64 combustions chambers on the heads? I'm OK with going for a bit higher compression than stock.

As for the AFR heads vs Patriot, even the guy that is a patriot dealer had at first suggested the AFRs. They're like twice as much cost wise though.

M3+LS1=Badass

Cosmos black
    1995 BMW M3

Quote Originally Posted by gashkerwin View Post
    As far as going all the same vendor, it doesn't seem like any single vendor sells everything I want. I had that thought, and was browsing through some of the sponsor websites. Part of the problem with that is that some of our sponsor's websites are flat out horrible, and being a web designer, the thought of buying from a company who targeting internet sales but has a crappy website just bothers me.

Any thoughts on why the 59cc vs 64 combustions chambers on the heads? I'm OK with going for a bit higher compression than stock.

As for the AFR heads vs Patriot, even the guy that is a patriot dealer had at first suggested the AFRs. They're like twice as much cost wise though.

Better for alot more money...

The 59cc will give you a squeeze more power, and every bit helps

And run premium if you can, that'll help with the compression

Black
    2000 Z-28

Texas Speed is selling the FAST 90/90mm TB for $1050. They also sell pretty much everything you're looking for so maybe you could save money buying everything from them.

Thread Information