Results 1 to 8 of 8

Opinions on cam specs

This is a discussion on Opinions on cam specs within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Almost ready to start my rebuild and I need some cam advice...I can't find anything I'm looking for in the ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member 01ws6er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The 717
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,471

    Red
    2001 Trash Can

    Opinions on cam specs

    Almost ready to start my rebuild and I need some cam advice...I can't find anything I'm looking for in the search or other threads so here goes:

    I'm going to be doing a cam only setup and the car is an stock cube M6, mostly driven on weekends and is mostly a street car. I am planning on doing a custom grind using XFI lobes with specs something like 230/230 duration and .612/.604 lift on a 110lsa (yea I know, but I want it real choppy). The only thing I'm wondering is would a tad more lift/duration on the exhaust side help me with power/torque down low on the stock heads? The specs on the exhaust lift are slightly lower than the intake lift at the same duration with the XFI lobes.

    Or could I use an XER lobe on the intake side to give me more of a split to the exhaust side... Something like 236-XER/236-XFI duration and .602-XER/.607-XFI lift?
    Last edited by 01ws6er; 12-07-2008 at 04:23 PM.

  2. #2
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    Almost ready to start my rebuild and I need some cam advice...I can't find anything I'm looking for in the search or other threads so here goes:

    I'm going to be doing a cam only setup and the car is an stock cube M6, mostly driven on weekends and is mostly a street car. I am planning on doing a custom grind using XFI lobes with specs something like 230/230 duration and .612/.604 lift on a 110lsa (yea I know, but I want it real choppy). The only thing I'm wondering is would a tad more lift/duration on the exhaust side help me with power/torque down low on the stock heads? The specs on the exhaust lift are slightly lower than the intake lift at the same duration with the XFI lobes.

    Or could I use an XER lobe on the intake side to give me more of a split to the exhaust side... Something like 236-XER/236-XFI duration and .602-XER/.607-XFI lift?
    I've been doing a lot of asking and reading looking for the exact cam for my car too. from what I've learned: the exhaust valve is smaller, so the lift can be lower on the exhaust side because once a valve is opened past half of its diameter it is nolonger a restriction to air airflow.....bigger valve (like the intake valve) needs a higher lift to get out of its owm way....smaller valve(like the exhaust valve) needs less lift to get out of its own way.
    just a little info for you, hope it helps

  3. #3
    Senior Member 01ws6er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The 717
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,471

    Red
    2001 Trash Can

    Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I've been doing a lot of asking and reading looking for the exact cam for my car too. from what I've learned: the exhaust valve is smaller, so the lift can be lower on the exhaust side because once a valve is opened past half of its diameter it is nolonger a restriction to air airflow.....bigger valve (like the intake valve) needs a higher lift to get out of its owm way....smaller valve(like the exhaust valve) needs less lift to get out of its own way.
    just a little info for you, hope it helps
    I think I may borrow a grind from a guy on tech... 230/230 .613/.591 (lobes would be XFI/XER) on a 111lsa. Cam only setup and lots of weight reduction with a 4000 stall and it runs pretty impressive times. I could only hope for a full second slower haha.

  4. #4
    Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Parma Heights, Ohio
    Age
    27
    Posts
    891

    SOM
    99 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    I think I may borrow a grind from a guy on tech... 230/230 .613/.591 (lobes would be XFI/XER) on a 111lsa. Cam only setup and lots of weight reduction with a 4000 stall and it runs pretty impressive times. I could only hope for a full second slower haha.
    Go with it. Thats what i was going to suggest before i got to this post. Have you seen the dyno sheet for it?

  5. #5
    Senior Member 01ws6er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The 717
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,471

    Red
    2001 Trash Can

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    Go with it. Thats what i was going to suggest before i got to this post. Have you seen the dyno sheet for it?
    The guy put down 422hp and I think 394 tq with a cam only A4 with 4000 stall but I havent seen the sheet...

    His vids I believe:
    -idle-
    -10.83 pass-

  6. #6
    Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Parma Heights, Ohio
    Age
    27
    Posts
    891

    SOM
    99 Trans Am

    Go halfway down the page, its an attachment. cam has an amazing curve.

    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...0-111-2-a.html

  7. #7
    Senior Member 01ws6er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The 717
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,471

    Red
    2001 Trash Can

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    Go halfway down the page, its an attachment. cam has an amazing curve.

    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...0-111-2-a.html
    damn that things sick! Cant wait haha.

  8. #8
    Member WS6ICK2K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pittsboro NC
    Posts
    587

    Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    Agreed, I'm not sure if I would go any lower on the LSA. The 111 hits very mean.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: LS1 Specs
    By blackSS01 in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2009, 05:36 PM
  2. Specs on this cam
    By rajiv1998 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2008, 03:12 PM
  3. 350 Specs
    By blk_jaws in forum GM Trucks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-08-2008, 11:14 AM
  4. cam specs
    By mghawk57 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2008, 01:47 PM
  5. Cam Specs?
    By 99WS6TA in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-16-2006, 05:33 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •