Thread: Opinions?

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Opinions?

I am looking into an LS6 head, various cams and intakes. What is everyone's opinion about the LS6 head and the various types of cams out there? I've got an idea of what I want out of my car and I'm just seeing what kind of parts are tried and true.

(Info on what I'm doing)
    - I want something pretty aggressive but still streetable being naturally aspirated. My goal is roughly 450-475 HP to the ground.
    - I would realistically like to do the head, cam/lifters/rockers/valves/double springs/pushrods, some porting, exhaust, headers, intake and lid finished with a dyno tune.
    - I do want the lopity lope cam sound
    - I currently have very basic things done (free mods, flowmaster exhaust, K&N filter, cut-out, UMI subframe connectors)

I'd just like to know what kind of results came from the LS6 head, various cams and intakes. Thanks

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

... would an LS2 head be a good head swap?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Well, Kinda vague there. Seems like you in the right direction though. You can have the lopey sound with a 114 LSA and a cutout, trust me... its there.

The 'ls6' head is a good platform, 243 casting. Its going to take a good port job and the right cam to reach 475 to the wheels. FAST 92/92 and probably a decent port job on that as well.

Rather then shoot for a HP number, shoot for a time you would like to run. Compare that to how much drivaiblity your willing to give up for the times you wanna run.

Then, think about suspension if all you have done is SFC. Gonna be tough to meet any goal on stock suspension. Good luck.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Well, Kinda vague there. Seems like you in the right direction though. You can have the lopey sound with a 114 LSA and a cutout, trust me... its there.

The 'ls6' head is a good platform, 243 casting. Its going to take a good port job and the right cam to reach 475 to the wheels. FAST 92/92 and probably a decent port job on that as well.

Rather then shoot for a HP number, shoot for a time you would like to run. Compare that to how much drivaiblity your willing to give up for the times you wanna run.

Then, think about suspension if all you have done is SFC. Gonna be tough to meet any goal on stock suspension. Good luck.

I found a fully assembled LS2 head for a real good price and I'm going to check it out this weekend. I think I'd be happy with 425-440 to the wheels in reality. I've been checking out some intakes and then headers + better exhaust. I'm not too sure on a time I want to reach because I'm unsure as to what the car runs as is. I'll find out tonight in class when I dyno/quarter mile her after it's diagnosed and fixed.

I don't really know of many cams or what is very reputable for being "as advertised" and I'm not quite sure where to start on suspension. I may end up porting the head for sure in class.

All very good information, I very much appreciate it!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Hopefully you have a good, acurate flow bench, and ALOT of time to port your own heads. Aluminum heads dont take much time to screw up. Do minor work, then flow, then more, then flow. Good luck on that.

Cams, Anyone one of use here can reccomend you a cam. Or a general area that you should be looking for. But it sounds as if you dont know any times you want, or what the perticualr cam would drive like. No offense. If your an automatic, your going to need a stall. Matching parts together is the game your playing. If you dont have headers yet, or exhuast, you need to. SS headers can be expensive, but usually worth it.

Suspension, Check the suspension section here. Theres some good information there for beginner basic starting points for suspension.

Then, you get your suspension, cam, headed, intake, etc. All tuned up and ready to stick the tires to the ground. Then your 10 bolt will break. Think rear end/driveshaft/transission/suspension/ then the power level you want. Its funny how things go hand and hand

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Hopefully you have a good, acurate flow bench, and ALOT of time to port your own heads. Aluminum heads dont take much time to screw up. Do minor work, then flow, then more, then flow. Good luck on that.

Cams, Anyone one of use here can reccomend you a cam. Or a general area that you should be looking for. But it sounds as if you dont know any times you want, or what the perticualr cam would drive like. No offense. If your an automatic, your going to need a stall. Matching parts together is the game your playing. If you dont have headers yet, or exhuast, you need to. SS headers can be expensive, but usually worth it.

Suspension, Check the suspension section here. Theres some good information there for beginner basic starting points for suspension.

Then, you get your suspension, cam, headed, intake, etc. All tuned up and ready to stick the tires to the ground. Then your 10 bolt will break. Think rear end/driveshaft/transission/suspension/ then the power level you want. Its funny how things go hand and hand
    Thank you again!

PS 6-Speed

hugger orange

I agree with Hi-Po, with the power you want to put down, I'd swap the rear for a 9" and do your suspension 1st.
    being a manual will make it easier to go bigger on a cam an make better dyno numbers.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

hey if you need a local guy that builds 9 inch let me know, just installed mine, next week i will install my tsp headers and xpipe, agreed with rear end and suspesion, blew my 10 bolt quick, my car is cammed so it makes a little more than stock power, but it will blow the rear easy.
    Last edited by zmg00camaross; 09-10-2009 at 10:13 PM.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by zmg00camaross View Post
    hey if you need a local guy that builds 9 inch let me know, just installed mine, next week i will install my tsp headers and xpipe, agreed with rear end and suspesion, blew my 10 bolt quick, my car is cammed so it makes a little more than stock power, but it will blow the rear easy.
    I have been looking around for one. I'm basically getting all my parts together then I'm going to do installs over a few days in the next few months where I can borrow my dad's truck while my TA is down.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

let me know he is in valley park, torque arm mount is better than moser, imo and if you have a problem you just drive to his shop and talk to him no hotlines and crap

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Don't forget about changing your gears, beside doing everything mentioned above.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by 00LS12LS6Z28 View Post
    Don't forget about changing your gears, beside doing everything mentioned above.
    Oh definitely! I don't know what to go with tho, I've heard a lot about 4.11's
    I'm just excited about deciding on a build, piecing it together and then slowly making it work. I have an LS2 head to work with with upgraded double springs ... I think next I'm going to start getting suspension components ... after I put in my fuel PSI regulator (I'm running 30lbs of PSI all the way from the rail to the pump, I havn't even experienced full power in my car yet, I am so excited to put it in, haah), get my T-Tops re-sealed and get my door fixed (shell cracked all the way and hinge is broken!). I figure get a part every two weeks or so, slowly collect them and install as I have a system completed (suspension, rear end/gears, ectt...)

I really appreciate all the feedback I'm getting!

Thread Information