Thread: OK-Just 75 hp?

now-atomic orange
    2002 SLP M6 SS

OK-Just 75 hp?

I'm scaling my wants back for right now. Budget is tight. Already aware of suspension/rear end/trans/clutch with power issues.

At this point getting close to 400rwhp will have to suffice, and we already have the exhaust/LT's/lid/tune. Need about another 75hp, and it seems a cam/head swap may be the the best way to get there and maintain some form of streetability. Will go easy on the 1/4, but some road racing.

40-50hp cam choice? $750 40-50hp head choice? $750 11:1cr NO juice

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...ght=underdrive

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127350

These two threads will probably answer anything you could over need to know about heads and cams.

Personally, I don't see you getting 475rwhp on a naturally aspirated motor unless you go with a huge cam which would equal not very street friendly. Most people with H/C/I are netting around 430rwhp from what I have seen.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post

These two threads will probably answer anything you could over need to know about heads and cams.

Personally, I don't see you getting 475rwhp on a naturally aspirated motor unless you go with a huge cam which would equal not very street friendly. Most people with H/C/I are netting around 430rwhp from what I have seen.
    with the right tune and proper gears a large cam can be street friendly... but then again everyones definition of street friendly is different...

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post

Think he's saying he wants to see around 400whp.

To the Op. It's gonna be hard to safely do a cam swap with only $750 and meet your goal. Your best bet would be to find a Cam package that includes everything and then do the work yourself.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Benner View Post

To the Op. It's gonna be hard to safely do a cam swap with only $750 and meet your goal. Your best bet would be to find a Cam package that includes everything and then do the work yourself.

a cam is ony as good as the set of heads... for $750 you're not really going to be able to do a cam swap... you'll need a new timing chain, cam, springs, etc etc... then you're going to need a dyno tune that will cost $300-500...

i'd just keep saving untill it can be done right...

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    a cam is ony as good as the set of heads... for $750 you're not really going to be able to do a cam swap... you'll need a new timing chain, cam, springs, etc etc... then you're going to need a dyno tune that will cost $300-500...

i'd just keep saving untill it can be done right...
    Your right on the tuning aspect. Forgot about that. And oil pump/timing chain for safety.

There is a pretty reputable company that sells the whole cam package minus timing chain for $689 but they aren't a sponsor so no name will be mentioned.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

... and lifters!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Benner View Post

Yeah I see that now. I was apparently tired at 3AM I read it as he currently had 400rwhp (which I thought was odd to begin with) and wanted another 75rwhp on top of that.....Oops.

now-atomic orange
    2002 SLP M6 SS

Yeah-400whp. Well it may indeed be one thing at a time. I'm told swapping cams in these cars is a mama, because it's so tight. I may have found a 40hp head deal for around $500. Just seemed to make sense to do both at the same time? Maybe not?

I'm told the cam swap is easier to just pull the engine? Is that a requirement for the head swap? What kind of expense/time would I save to do both at the same time?

I would be inclined to get the whole cam kit, although the car has less than 50,000 miles.

What about some heads and different ratio rockers for right now? Are there some good rockers out there that will actually see a gain on this car? What should i be looking for there, both price/ratio/brand to be compatible?
    Last edited by dbs1; 01-25-2010 at 08:39 AM.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
    Yeah-400whp. Well it may indeed be one thing at a time. I'm told swapping cams in these cars is a mama, because it's so tight. I may have found a 40hp head deal for around $500. Just seemed to make sense to do both at the same time? Maybe not?

I'm told the cam swap is easier to just pull the engine? Is that a requirement for the head swap? What kind of expense/time would I save to do both at the same time?

I would be inclined to get the whole cam kit, although the car has less than 50,000 miles.
    I pulled my engine when I did mine in November, I found it easier but I have a one up since I have access to a lift. I've never done a swap in the bay though, I've heard both it's easy and a PIA. But just depends on your decision. If you do pull it, drop it from the bottom, I've seen a few end up in the body shop from being pulled from the top

With mine, I did mine in two weeks time - did a full rebuild (hone, polished crank, decked, rings, ported heads, all bearings, cam, intake, lifters, pushrods, ect...) and spent roughly $2k. It all just depends who you go through for parts, what you decide do and what kind of access to tools and help you can get if you do it on your own

There's a good write up on how-to on ls1howto.com (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong) if you want to tackle it on your own!
    Last edited by tep98ws6; 01-25-2010 at 06:48 AM. Reason: edit

http://lswut.blogspot.com/
    My Build Thread
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126838
    my cam is just a little big and my car is a little loud

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post

leave the engine in... what kind of heads are they???

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

you can get to the 400rwhp mark with out heads i have just over that with just a good street cam and full bolt on's

now-atomic orange
    2002 SLP M6 SS

PCH 241 heads. I'm guessing they are stage 1? @.600 290/220
    Last edited by dbs1; 01-26-2010 at 06:58 AM.

Thread Information