White
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Oil temp/pressure question.

Just trying to figure out what the "normal" operating ranges are with the oil temp and pressure for my 00' Trans Am. My oil pressure gauge starts off around 50 pounds when I start driving but after awhile I catch myself at a red light I look down and its at 20. After that it usually sits at 30. I also have an oil temp gauge that max's at 300 degrees and it is pegged after 20-30 min of driving. From what I hear the max I should run is 250 degrees. I then started to think maybe the oil temp gauge is wrong but after seeing my oil pressure drop to 20 I think maybe the temp guage is correct because my oil is so hot? Anyone have any suggestions?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That be some too hot oil, imo. Our car runs 60 plus psi on cold startup and usually stays at 40 psi idling after its warmed up.

Any engine mods? Power adders?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

My 02 SS runs at 75 psi cold and 50 - 60 psi warm and 50 psi hot at idle. I have a stock pump with factory gauges and 32k on the clock. Temp should be 20 to 30 deg. above coolant temp.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

factory metalic red
    2002 Z28

My oil oressure is around 45-50 hot and about 60 I think cold thats with 106k

Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2

White
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    That be some too hot oil, imo. Our car runs 60 plus psi on cold startup and usually stays at 40 psi idling after its warmed up.

Any engine mods? Power adders?
    Nothing major, CAI, LTs, Dual E-cutouts, exhaust. I just had to replace an AC relay cuz it made my car over heat on the highway one day. Anything I can do to cool the engine oil??

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I would get a hold of a laser temp gun and take a reading off the oil filter with the engine fully up to temp and your gauge pegged. That'll give you an idea on the accuracy of your gauge. Where is the sender installed at?

The coolant overheating on the road is even more worrisome. There has got to be something going on with your car. Has the cooling system been flushed and serviced lately? What degree thermostat are you running? Has the car been tuned since installation of the mods? Any codes?

White
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I would get a hold of a laser temp gun and take a reading off the oil filter with the engine fully up to temp and your gauge pegged. That'll give you an idea on the accuracy of your gauge. Where is the sender installed at?

The coolant overheating on the road is even more worrisome. There has got to be something going on with your car. Has the cooling system been flushed and serviced lately? What degree thermostat are you running? Has the car been tuned since installation of the mods? Any codes?
    The sender is installed right above the oil filter. I had to purchase the part for the Corvette so it had the piece that would allow me to install it. Im in NY and my car is in MI. I was just told that when my AC is turned on my oil temp gauge jumps 30-40 degrees instantly. I have the power to the gauge wired to the batter and ignition wire, the ground is grounded right to the chassis. I can't figure out what is going on so I am going to e-mail the company to see what I can do.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like a ground or wiring issue. The temp senders usually work by varying the electrical resistance based upon temperature. Activating your AC may somehow be causing additional resistance and the jump in temp on the gauge. Again, a laser temp gun would answer the question -- about $50 at most parts stores.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

^^^ What Jeff said. I have a laser temp gun and it will give you the answers you need. It is also a hell of alot of fun and useful for other projects. I like to point at each one of my eight tubes on my headers and see the temp difference. Sears, Home Depot, Lowes I think even Walmart have them.

White
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Okay thanks guys, I will pick up a temp gun when I drive to MI this weekend. When I first installed the gauge I had it tied into the wiring under the dash. Now that I had it rewired straight to the battery and ignition then the ground right to the chassis I don't know why I'm still having wiring issues. Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it!

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    ^^^ What Jeff said. I have a laser temp gun and it will give you the answers you need. It is also a hell of alot of fun and useful for other projects. I like to point at each one of my eight tubes on my headers and see the temp difference. Sears, Home Depot, Lowes I think even Walmart have them.
    Out of curiosity what temps are you getting?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Young11b View Post
    Nothing major, CAI, LTs, Dual E-cutouts, exhaust. I just had to replace an AC relay cuz it made my car over heat on the highway one day. Anything I can do to cool the engine oil??
    So you have dual cut outs huh? Were did you install them at/ what section of the exhaust?

Thread Information