Black
    2001 Z28 M6

Oil pump priming

What procedures have you used to prime the oil pump prior to starting the engine the first time. Obviously you can't do it like the engines with a distributor or the LT1. I have read people turning it over with the plugs removed, but I would rather not spin the engine to do it.

The best thing I have came up with is using some kind of electric pump and plumbing it in where the oil pressure sending unit goes. I am not sure that I can get enough volume to create any pressure though. Had anybody tried this?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

so long as the motor is assembled with assembly lube, you'll be fine turning the motor over.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Did you use a "GOOD" assembly lube on ALL bearing surfaces and friction "faces"...... And filled the oil filter ALL the way up before installing.....? If so put a good charger on the batt. and take the plugs out and spin her over....... Ifv you don't get oil pressure in 15-20 seconds something is wrong...... But if you used a good assembly lube you should not see any wear issues by doing it this way.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Black
    2001 Z28 M6

I should be ok. I lubed the hell out of everything and filled the filter. Still yet to put it back in the car. At least it's a buddies engine and not mine, I am sure it will be ok. I have been burned bad one time by a machine shop... well it was partially my fault, I should have checked. It was a 351 ford, after all the work and cleaning they put all the plugs back in supposedly. I assembled it though. Needless to say I said the hell with priming because I was lazy, I figured it was fine. Started it up and no pressure... WTF! Ended up pulling it back out and tearing the damn thing all back apart and found the missing plug. Talk about kicking yourself in the ass.
    Last edited by JEFF01Z; 01-08-2007 at 12:19 PM.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Been there also...... WTF is all that oil coming from the bell housing.....Just put a REAL guage on it......A mech. guage and you should see pressure almost instantly......As long as you didn't fill it with 20-50!!!!

You might try a good quality 30wt. Not to thin, not to thick, will get every where quickly.

Arctic White
    2000 FRC

i've heard that projects that sat for awhile, they remove the spark plugs and pull the fuel pump fuse
    turn over a few secs at a time to pump some oil thru before starting

Thread Information