Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2000 Trans Am

Oil Pump going bad?

I am in the military and all my life have lived in Illinois I now live in Southern California where they get hotter temp's then illinois. My question is when I lived in illinois my oil pressure gauge would consistently read 40-60. Normal right? Now that I live in southern california it is reading a little above 20 and sometime "Bobbing" between 20-40. I haven't changed the type of oil I use so what could be the problem?....I run penzoil 5w30 by the way. Is my oil pump going bad? Or is it just the heat and should I change oils?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

If you are down around 20 PSI, thats a strong sign your pump is dying and I would stop driving it until you find out exactly what it is and fix it. Otherwise, you are potentially looking at a spun bearing/blown motor pretty soon.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Could it not be the sending unit for your oil pressure gauge? I had one go bad in my old 87 IROC and the oil pressure was really low around 10-15. I put a new sending unit or sensor in for like 10 bucks and the pressure went up to 50psi!!! Might be worth a try.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by DEADBYDAWN View Post
    Could it not be the sending unit for your oil pressure gauge? I had one go bad in my old 87 IROC and the oil pressure was really low around 10-15. I put a new sending unit or sensor in for like 10 bucks and the pressure went up to 50psi!!! Might be worth a try.
    where is the sending unit located? I have a 2000 trans am if that helps any.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    If you are down around 20 PSI, thats a strong sign your pump is dying and I would stop driving it until you find out exactly what it is and fix it. Otherwise, you are potentially looking at a spun bearing/blown motor pretty soon.
    how much does a new one cost and can I replace it myself?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I have to dig out my service manual so it my take a little while but I will find out for ya. I have a z28 but it should be the same as your car.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Go on gmpartsdirect.com and look it up. Yes you can replace it. It basically plugs in-nothing to it.

2000 Trans Am

cool thanks man, also if this helps any when i start my car in the morning it reads normal but after it get's hot and it's been running awhile around town, that is when it starts to read low.
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

The sending unit is behind the intake manifold, its a little bit of work but can be replaced.

I don't know what your mechanical level is, but the pump itself takes some work to access.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Thats because the oil gets hot and thinner which causes the pressure to drop down a bit(normal). I cant gaurantee the oil pressure sending unit is your problem but my old car did the same thing. I actually bought the car really cheap because the guy thought the oil pump was bad but it wasnt-it was just the sending unit.LOL

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I would definately buy one and try it before replacing the oil pump

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I would definately buy one and try it before replacing the oil pump
    I second this idea, its definately worth a try. I would still keep the driving of the car to a bare minimum until the problem is diagnosed and fixed though.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I agree-just in case its not the sending unit.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    The sending unit is behind the intake manifold, its a little bit of work but can be replaced.

I don't know what your mechanical level is, but the pump itself takes some work to access.
    any pix of where the sending unit is exactly? so i can try that tomorrow and if that doesn't work then i will just take it to a shop so they can try and fix the pump itself

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    any pix of where the sending unit is exactly? so i can try that tomorrow and if that doesn't work then i will just take it to a shop so they can try and fix the pump itself
    I would highly advise not jumping the gun and going to a shop and asking them what is wrong. If anything buy the sending unit and take the part to a shop and get it put on (shouldnt be more than $25.00 labor) if you think you cant handle it. See if the local NAPA parts store has the part. After you get that fixed I would change to 10-40 weight oil since its very hot there. I live in Florida and use 10-40. It will help raise the oil pressure a bit as well.

2000 Trans Am

Ok I will probably do that tomorrow. But I heard that 10w40 is extremly thick for our cars and that it reduces horsepower is that true?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

No man 20/50 is kinda thick 10/40 isnt but a tiny bit thicker than what u are using. You wont loose any HP. If anything your engine will last longer. I ran 20/50 in my 86 s-10 truck and got 300,000 miles out of it.And I was 17 years old and drove like a idiot. LOL I wouldnt go with 20/50 in your car its a bit thick but 10/40 is perfect. I think 5/30 is way too thin. Good luck with your car I believe its the oil pressure sending unit. Did you find out the price on it? It should be 10-15 bucks

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

also-how long are you going between oil changes?? you should change oil every 3,000 miles

2000 Trans Am

also-how long are you going between oil changes?? you should change oil every 3,000 miles
    Of course I change it every three thousand miles silly!! I actually am about to go get the sending unit. So I will let you know how everything turns out when I get it done. And I think I am gonna get an oil change with some thicker oil also. I will let you know and thanks for all of your help.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

No problem-I sure hope its an easy fix for you. The people here have helped me so many times. I think this site is so awsome. First place I go online every day. Good Luck!!

Thread Information