oil pump?

This is a discussion on oil pump? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; so i have been told that when doing a cam swap it is common practice to swap over to a ...

BGC (mystic teal)
    1998 Trans AM m6

oil pump?

so i have been told that when doing a cam swap it is common practice to swap over to a ported or upgraded oil pump..........why is this?

my car is a 98 T/A and has 60k miles on her so is it really necessary to buy a new oil pump? i already have all my parts for my cam install and shes ready to go

but now i'm being told i need an oil pump

please help asap do i really need one?

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Its peace of mind you're buying with an oil pump. NEED is a harsh word. If your cam isn't too crazy then NEED is possibly over the top. At the same time, consider that most LS1's die to a spun bearing which additional oiling could have prevented...

For $100 I'd just assume do it while I'm in there. I just blew a rod bearing last week, so I'd say spend the money and feel good that you made the best effort to make your motor happy.

-Eagle

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

that or you can just port your orginal ls1 pump to flow more oil... find the book LS1/LS6 performance book... it had bolt on info and ect. and it says how to port your orininal oil pump

PEWTER
    99 TRANS AM

The oil pump is the heart of the engine, for $100 stop being cheep and buy one. Trust me you will not regreat it.

A trained professional volleybill's Avatar

Black
    2001 Z28

Yeah, and another thing to do, 'while you're in there' is to go to a better timing chain- the LS2 chain isn't too pricey-

If you don't change the pump, AT LEAST change the O-ring in the oil pickup tube- after a few years and heat cycles they loose their resilency, and won't seal- I just went through this for my cam swap- I wish someone had warned me- freakin' $5 part, but you have to take the front of the engine back off to get to it-

A trained professional volleybill's Avatar

Black
    2001 Z28

Yeah, and another thing to do, 'while you're in there' is to go to a better timing chain- the LS2 chain isn't too pricey-

If you don't change the pump, AT LEAST change the O-ring in the oil pickup tube- after a few years and heat cycles they loose their resilency, and won't seal- I just went through this for my cam swap- I wish someone had warned me- freakin' $5 part, but you have to take the front of the engine back off to get to it-

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

i think the thing is it is so hard to replace and so catastrophic if it fails. plus if you upgrade it to an LS6 or higher you'll get more oil moving and the more the better.... I call it cheap insurance. they appear pretty easy to port, I'm going to try porting my new LS6 as per the book.

White
    2001 Z28

One final thing to remember is to be very careful with your gaskets during reassembly. A high volume oil pump can force oil past your gaskets if there is any flaw during reassembly.
    Sarge has warned us about over-tightening the bolts. That almost guarantees an oil leak. I had to replace my pan gasket, what a PITA.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

Thanks for the tip lonewolf!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

when you do a cam swap you have the front cover off and the oil pump and timing chain or right there. It just makes sense to swap them out. The LS2 chain is like $42 and the ported pump is ~$100. Very cheap insurance against having an extremely bad day down the road. Being you have a 98 it's almost at a required level. Could you do without it? Yep, but you'd be rolling some pretty big dice in the process.

Tip on replacing the oil pump....take extra care putting it back in that you don't pinch the o-ring. Also buy a new o-ring and don't try to reuse your old one.

PEWTER
    99 TRANS AM

Buy the stock volume pump, in a street engine you do not need the extra volume. The high volume pump is designed for extra bearing clearence that you would see in a race motor. the engine block in only going to flow a centain amout of oil. And pumping extra oil is only going to cost you horsepower.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 99transamC/FIA View Post
    Buy the stock volume pump, in a street engine you do not need the extra volume. The high volume pump is designed for extra bearing clearence that you would see in a race motor. the engine block in only going to flow a centain amout of oil. And pumping extra oil is only going to cost you horsepower.
    I agree and disagree at the same time....You are completely right when saying that pumping a higher volume of oil is going to cost him some horsepower. However, even though it's a street engine, if it's run hard, street raced, or has a fair amount of mods done to it then a higher volume pump should definitely replace the stock pump. The catch to this is that, for a street engine, you should only put on a higher volume pump that's a relatively small increase over the stock one....it's been shown that, by adding on a HV pump that's a 10% increase in flow rate, you have the best of both worlds-the insurance of higher oil volume/capacity, and you will not lose horsepower.....

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

Replace the oil pump 98s are known to have oil pump problems, most I've heard of simply loose all pressure driving down the road normally with no warning.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

Thread Information