pewter
    99 vette

oil pressure low? need opinions..

Ok so yesterday I had the car completley back together fresh oil in the engine new ac delco oil filter with 7 quarts of mobil 5-W30 synthetic. Turned the key and it fired right up with no hesitation and suprisingly idled very well with the new cam on a stock tune. While I had the engine apart I replaced the factory oil pump with a ported ls6 oil pump. I noticed the oil pressure was very low once I started it up it was hanging around 7 psi, before the build on the stock oil pump i had 40lbs at every rpm, now I realize the new lifters needed time to pump up and all so I waited and it finally climbed to about 15-17 at idle now and climbs to about 41 once I step on the gas, but my factory oil pump had better pressure, again this is a new ported ls6 oil pump. Any ideas? thanks

hugger orange

Are you sure you have the pickup tube and O ring set in the pump good, and you didn't tear the O ring? I wouldn't want any less than 25 psi

pewter
    99 vette

Yes I am positive the o-ring is good and seated properly. I just can't figure it out. Anyway I drove it on the autobahn for 3 hours today at speeds of 100-165 mph the entire way and it ran like a top. I think it's ok. I read the my corvette owners manual and to my suprise it said that a reading as low as 6 pounds can be considered normal when the engine is hot and using thin oil. But normal pressure should be between 20-40. Once I am over 1500 rpms I have around 25 plus and from there it climbs higher as the rpms climb but at idle I have seen it read as low as 11. I think I will just order a new sending unit for it and see what happens there is a possiblity it could be going out or the gauge isnt reading properly after all I did have the engine torn down and theres a chance I could have screwed up the sending unit.

hugger orange

It wouldn't hurt to run an aftermarket gauge and sending unit with your stock one just for backup to be sure... I envy you, I'd love to beable to open my car up and see what it would do without getting locked up for it lol

white
    83 mustang coupe

Ive heard of people having problems with caddie lifters with a higher flow pump.

Thread Information