Thread: Oil Pressure

Red
    1987 Trans Am

Oil Pressure

I have my motor all buttoned up and ready to fire! My question is, how do I prime the oil pump to get proper pressure before start up? Do I just turn the motor over by hand a few times?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Many folks just remove the plug wires and crank the motor for a few seconds....with a sump full of fresh oil of course Watch your oil pressure gage and confirm pressure is there....me...I just crank it up and watch the oil pressure gage...the assembly lubes are all still protecting you....turning the motor by hand will prime the pump....but this can be accomplished with 2 seconds of cranking the motor by starter....
    You do want to fill your new oil filter up before you install it....this helps significantly in getting almost instant pressure and flow versus waiting on the oil to fill up the filter then travel to the top end....

I was under the impression that the oil filter only gets a sample of the entire flow. Not saying that filling the filter when possible doesn't help. The bulk of the oil flow bypasses the filter and the filter gets only a portion of the entire flow. The entire volume will eventually go through the filter much like a water filter in an aquarium but it takes many cycles, over an extended period of time. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

oil flow goes from pickup to oil pump to oil filter to cam bearings to main bearings and rod bearings. all oil goes through the filter first.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Thanks for straightening this out; now I know. I won't misspeak again regarding the filtering. Thanks!

Thread Information