Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Oil pressure

This is a discussion on Oil pressure within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Sarge GM started it in 2001 with the Caddies. In 2003 they put it in the trucks ...

Black
    '05 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    GM started it in 2001 with the Caddies. In 2003 they put it in the trucks and the Impala, Monte Carlo SS and of course in 2008 they started putting it in the many of the LS3's and announced it would be in the "new" Camaro.

So it is in hundreds of thousands of V8 GM Blocks. This is why I was asking about the donor motor specific. As you know many of the donor motors ending up in our Hot Rods come from truck motors.
    Copyright Hearst Business Publishing Jun 2003
    Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved -

General Motors has announced that the 2005 GMC Envoy XL, Envoy XUV and Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT will be the first vehicles to showcase its innovative Displacement on Demand (DOD) fuel-saving technology. DOD will be a standard feature in these vehicles' optional Vortec 5300 V8 engine. The more efficient engine will boost the fuel economy of these vehicles by about 8%.

GM previously announced it will also introduce this technology as part of a new overhead-valve V6 family of engines in some 2006 midsize passenger cars. By 2008, the General expects that more than two million vehicles with the V8 and V6 engines will feature DOD.

"Displacement on Demand will enhance fuel economy without compromising performance or the ability to carry heavy loads," said Sam Winegarden, GM Powertrain chief engineer of Vortec V8 engines. "We will be able to deliver the same top-of-the-line performance with less effort and energy. That's the essence of efficiency."

DOD saves fuel by using only half of the engines cylinders during most normal driving conditions. When loads are light, the control system automatically closes both intake and exhaust valves for half of the cylinders, cutting off their air and fuel supply. The valves are reopened to provide all-cylinder operation when the driver needs it for quick acceleration or for hauling heavy loads.

The V8 engine always starts on eight cylinders, and in the case of the V6 engine, six cylinders. But once the vehicle has accelerated to speed, the engine control module activates Displacement on Demand, providing improved fuel economy through a relatively inexpensive change in displacement to meet vehicle load requirements.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Long before then friend. Try your Google Fu skills on Active Fuel Management.
    General Motors was the first to modify existing, production engines to enable cylinder deactivation, with the introduction of the Cadillac L62 "V8-6-4" in 1981.

In 2001, GM showcased the 2002 Cadillac Cien concept car, which featured Northstar XV12 engine with Displacement on Demand. Later that year, GM debuted Opel Signum concept car in Frankfurt Auto Show, which uses the global XV8 engine with displacement on demand. In 2003, GM unveiled the Cadillac Sixteen concept car at the Detroit Opera House, which featured an XV16 concept engine that can switch between 4, 8, and 16 cylinders.
    On April 8, 2003, General Motors announced this technology (now called Active Fuel Management) to be commercially available on 2005 GMC Envoy XL, Envoy XUV and Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT using optional Vortec 5300 V8 engine. GM also extended the technology on the new High Value LZ8 V6 engine in the Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo as well as the 5.3L V8 LH6 engine in the last generation Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS and Pontiac Grand Prix GXP. In both designs, half of the cylinders can be switched off under light loads.
    On July 21, 2008, General Motors unveiled the production version of the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro. The Camaro SS with an automatic transmission features the GM L99 engine, a development of the LS3 with Active Fuel Management which allowed it to run on four cylinders during light load conditions.[2]
    Last edited by Sarge; 12-27-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

If I read what your trying to say though in your post.....when did the motors start showing up with the dreaded DoD valley tray? (I guess I dunno what your saying)...then yes about 5-6 years ago...I agree...but DoD has been around a long time.....

Black
    '05 GTO

Haha I agree I think it was the 8-6-4 and it was garbage! But thing is they didn't try it again till '05 and instead of afm it was called dod, so my friend I would love to see the lifter on this 01 caddy, but gen IV was when dod got introduced!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Oh yeah it sucked. I worked on a few. Total junk. Had so much management you needed to get out and push to get going.
    The issue here is what donor motor does our OP have? I still do not know. What did the donor motor come out of? Did I miss it? What he described is very similar to the DoD delete bullshit.

Black
    '05 GTO

yeah those 8-6-4 engines or what ever there called were good for.... filling up scrap bins.

The OP has a ls1 short block, which is non dod
    Last edited by Jay37; 12-27-2010 at 09:03 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Small block?

Black
    '05 GTO

yeah ls1 with ls6 heads.

I'm still confused on the differenent gauge readings and shit.
    Also did the heads just get bolted on the ls1 block, or did you rebiuld the engine? Also new oil plugs and oil filter bypass a.k.a. barbell restrictor? who put your cam bearings in?

In my opinion if that is a fresh short block, it was broke in very slow, sometimes a slow break in prevents everything from seating up properly.

Also what kind of break in oil and assembly lube was used?

various
    1986 Turbo 944

Not sure on the full history, according to the numbers this block is a 97 block. I have a 01 block but I need to resleeve it to get the cylinders fixed.

Black
    '05 GTO

was it rebiult?

EDIT since you had it what was done to the short block, lead fumes kicked in sorry
    Last edited by Jay37; 12-27-2010 at 11:11 AM.

various
    1986 Turbo 944

Sorry, got lost in all the post, for some reason it wont send me emails.

The short block came rebuilt. I took it apart and checked the clearances and had my machine shop balance the assembly.

I purchased rebuilt LS6 heads with dual springs installed from a machine shop that the buyer never came to pick up.

i used comp cam assembly lube and royal purple break in oil. I found out about the barbell plug you are talking about last night. I have not got to it yet, I am under the car with the pan off. Is the flywheel going to be in the way to see that plug?

I might just have to pull this whole motor out since I have over half of it disassembled and go through every piece again.

Black
    '05 GTO

Been there man! I've probably fucked up more engines, than charlie sheen has strippers. Good thing is you didn't start it up drunk and run it around town not paying attention to oil pressure and blow that bitch haha.

As Sarge would say "take your time son, your doing fine"

The engine will probably need to come out.

various
    1986 Turbo 944

I did drive it after the pressure dropped. The GM mech looked at it and said it would be fine. I drove it for about 30 mins and back. No bad sounds, no unexplained smoke, no over heating.

I will pull it out to check everything again.

Jay to clarify the gauge readings for you, the dash gauge read 1 bar and below. I took the sender out and checked the gauge by grounding it and it had full sweep.

I then hooked up a master gauge in PSI and it would not register a reading.

I unhooked, and left the oil sender hole open and cranked to see if oil was flowing and it did come out.

When I unhooked my two filter lines to the oil filter, then I realized I had oil pumping out of both lines instead of just one.
    Last edited by cfgioja; 12-27-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Black
    '05 GTO

Smile

Ill try to get this drawing on here, I'm still sober so I might figure it out haha
    Fuck can't figure it out, Any one know how I can post drawings off my desktop?

"When I unhooked my two filter lines to the oil filter, then I realized I had oil pumping out of both lines instead of just one."

Any way if you have oil on both sides I'll try to explain... the drawing makes it much easier.

I'll explain
    The oil filter bypass/barbell restrictor is designed to 1.)guide the oil through the oil filter 2.) if the filter is clogged, in order to prevent lack of oiling it shifts and allows oil to bypass the filter

OP, I would check to see if it somehow got pushed in to far, it should be flush with the back of the block. If it was in to far instead of routing oil around it would just push it out both sides. either way if oil is coming out both sides something is leaking by!

various
    1986 Turbo 944

that makes sense, I saw what it looks like on my '01 spare block. I have to get the engine out of the car to figure that one out though. Unlike you guys, I cant just drop my transmission and get there, I have to drop the motor.

I will let you know how it goes once I get it out of the bay and on the floor again. It should be tomorrow when I get to the last two bellhousing bolts. Wife has to go to work and the son is my duty tonight.

various
    1986 Turbo 944

Not sure what is up yet, I dont have the valley cover Sarge is talking about. Mine only has two knock sensors in it. I do have the barbell and it was put in correctly.

When I purchased this block it was assembled already with a fresh home, I have found traces of weird gasket maker or paint chips inside the oil pan and the Allen bolt that is behind the oil ports on the bottom of the block. This might be the problem since I didnt have it dipped and cleaned.

Here are the pictures so far, I still have to find an air compressor to take off the crank bolt to pull the front cover.

Black
    '05 GTO

Cam bearings?

A little confused on the oil coming out of both sides (filter inlet/outlet) with the filter off now.

Black
    '05 GTO

Also the gasket maker or what ever... I have seen alot of small blocks get turned into scrap steel because of that shit, be careful and check everything.

Keep clean

Jay.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Jay37 View Post
    Cam bearings?

A little confused on the oil coming out of both sides (filter inlet/outlet) with the filter off now.
    The only thing I can think of that would cause oil to come out both would be a F/U oil pressure regulator valve........

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yes...I am taking a stab here...but I wonder if he got some "crap" in the regulator valve? If it is clogged with something that would explain the sudden loss of OP and oil coming out both inlet and outlet would it not?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information