Thread: oil pressure

polo green
    1996 Z-28SS camaro

oil pressure

I have a 1996 Z-28/SS LT1 with 127,000 on it, and understandibly, my oil pressure has dropped, and i was wondering what i should do, short of replacing the pump. I've been told to switch it from 5W30 to 10W30 and see if that helps any, im curious what my other options are if any to get me by for a couple more months untill i get around to replacing the pump, any input anybody may have would be greatly apriciated.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Under what condition has it dropped, and to what indicated pressure? Are you talking about the factory guage, or have you tried putting another oil pressure guage in line with the sending unit?
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

polo green
    1996 Z-28SS camaro

Some times at idle when the engine is warm im lookin an less then 5 and runnin down the freeway it varies somewhere between 25 and 40 depending on speed and gear selection, and incase it makes a difference im runing royal purple 5w30. and yes everything is factory, this car is perfectly stock

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by sscamaro96
    Some times at idle when the engine is warm im lookin an less then 5 and runnin down the freeway it varies somewhere between 25 and 40 depending on speed and gear selection, and incase it makes a difference im runing royal purple 5w30. and yes everything is factory, this car is perfectly stock
    If your car is a six speed, you may be turning 1500 rpms on the freeway, which won't generate a lot of pressure, especially on a high milage engine. But you should be higher than that. I assume you are reading the stock gauge. Try putting an accurate gauge either in-line with the stock sending unit, or in place of another oil plug. I wouldn't trust the stock gauge, but best to check it soon.

To answer another question: 10w-30 weight is only slightly heavier than 5w-30. 5w-40 might be better, but the longer you drive it that way, the bigger gamble you are taking on damaging a bearing with low/no oil film. If the gauge test shows no pressure - you'd best figure out the problem right away.

Also, do an oil change and get a filter cutting tool to check and see if you are getting any bearing material in the filter element.

Black/Black
    96 Vert Z28-RIP/94 TT Z28

The pump isn't actually what causes pressure, just flow. The pressure is created by the size of the oil passages and clearances. So it's natural with a worn motor to lose pressure. Go with a heavier weight oil but the only way to really get it back to original pressure is to rebuild it.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I'd Auto RX that bad boy..... http://www.auto-rx.com/
    Go through the cleaning phase with a 10-30 dino like Castrol GTX/Pennzoil/Havoline...
    same with the rinse phase......I bet you'll be suprised and happy....

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by GOODZ/BADZ
    The pump isn't actually what causes pressure, just flow. The pressure is created by the size of the oil passages and clearances. So it's natural with a worn motor to lose pressure. Go with a heavier weight oil but the only way to really get it back to original pressure is to rebuild it.
    yes sir that true. made me think of my hydraulics teacher pounding that into our heads """" the pump doesnt creat pressure , it creates flow! resistance to flow creates pressure""

z06vette

All very true about pressure but

An oil pump that is not up to snuff becasue it is not pumping enough oil can also cause the pressure to drop. My Z06 pump failed at 14,000 miles . One day at the track just fine, Get home start it up the next day... not fine... pump was failing.

Thread Information