Impounded

Blue
    VE SS-V ute

Oil pickup bolt dropped

Hey everyone, new here.

I'm an Aussie doing a top end freshen up on my VE SS ute. The motor is a 6.0L, we call it the L98. It's a hybrid between the LS2 and LS3 with the heads and block, I believe (not sure, not really into my V8's that much).

Now, the car has a double row timing chain (huge cam), and I had to remove the mellings oil pump to get the chain off to replace it.

I opted to remove it without removing or lowering the sump and slowly undid the bolt for the pick up onto the pump. Came off fine, almost too fine as I dropped it and it disappeared into the abyss.

Now I have stuck a flexi magnet in the sump from the front to no avail. Tomorrow I am going to buy a borescope and go in from the sump plug to see if I can find it.

My question is this:

If I can't find this bolt but I'm sure it's UNDERNEATH the windage tray, is it ok to leave it there?? I intend to stuck the borescope on top of the windage tray and make sure the bolt isn't hiding under the crank somewhere, but if it's definitely underneath the windage tray, I can't see how it could cause a problem.

Thanks for any advice, it's greatly appreciated.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

NO....it is Never OK to Leave it......You'll regret it. It may not be a danger immediately but it can/will happen.

It may suck but you need to remove the oil pan or drop it enough to search for it.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

time to drop your pan. I know it sucks, I've been there. Hopefully you can find it with a bore scope though.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Your gonna have to at the very least loosen up all the bolts on the pan and try to give yourself a little room to get the magnet in there. There is NO WAY you just leave it in there. All it takes is a good bump in the road while your driving to throw that sucker into the crankshaft. Bad news and bye bye engine.
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have to agree -- best option is to do a little tear down to find and remove it.

It's too late this time, but I think the preferred method for safe removal and installation is to wrap some fine wire around the bolt to hold onto it. You have to back it out a couple of turns to get the wire around it for removal. On installation make sure the wire will pull off the bolt once it has started to thread into the hole.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I would almost just pull the engine next time I have to pull my cam just because honestly it took me less time to do that than to get that friggen bolt back on lmao.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yep...gonna have to come out. Next time stuff some rags back behind it so if the bolt does fall the rags will keep it from rolling back like that. You're not the first person to have done this....doesn't make it suck any less for you though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I use my extended magnet next to the bolt, a dab of grease in my ratchet wrench, and rags stuffed in the oil pan for fear of this happening. My last cam install I was sweating bullets installing that bolt, hoping it doesn't fall off. Did I mention it was ❄30' 😨where I was working? Lol

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

OP any updates?

Thread Information