Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Oil in my Radiator....

This is a discussion on Oil in my Radiator.... within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Stick with trying to find an LS6 intake. good bang for the buck and you can ditch the EGR with ...

black
    2002 WS6

Stick with trying to find an LS6 intake. good bang for the buck and you can ditch the EGR with it.

What might be a good idea would be to drop in a cam and do some valve train work and really get the most out of your headers. You will need a tune again, but it will wake up the car.

White
    2000 Trans AM

Well my engine will be here Tuesday but I have a very sickening feeling in my stomach atm
    I had my radiator flushed about a week ago. Right after the dealership "confirmed" I had oil in my coolant.
    Well today I was poking around and as usual my engine oil is dark because its due for a change but why change it when I'm replacing the engine...
    Once again no water, moisture, or coolant in my oil.
    I top off my power steering like I always do once a week thinking I'm going to look into that issue during the engine change out.

I'm not the smartest person in the world but I think its power steering fluid in my coolant. My engine oil is dark, smells like oil. My coolant doesn't even come close to that, however it resembles my power steering fluid I use. I called the dealership and spoke to a manager and didn't hold any punches. I requested to see the oil samples they took and see the compression test they say they completed. They aren't sure if those files are still on record and I told them I think thye gun decked the testing. I think they stood around smoked a cigerte and gave me the same results as the local shop. They never once mentioned anything about my power steering but suggested a $6200 engine swap out.

I truely need to check and see if its realy power steering fuild in my oil. So bascially I'm back to sqaure one with a replacement engine on its way.

Anyway i can conform its really power steering fluid in my oil?
    Thanks in advance

White
    2000 Trans AM

I just got under my hood and under the car. I found the power steering cooler. I'm ashame I didn't see it before. I can see the fitting where I'm losing my power steering fluid going into the tube. So thats will be addressed.
    I looking into to removing here shortly and testing it somehow to see if its cracked. If thats the problem I need to see about returning that engine that will be here in Tuesday
    If this works out for me the BBB will be hearing about this dealerhsip soon....
    Either these people gun decked the job or they're crooks!

White
    2000 Trans AM

I do need some advice on how to check that power steering cooler. I can see my coolant is still green with some oily substance in it. However its not black like the motor oil, its clear like power steering fluid. I'd like to be 100% sure before I goto the dealership again. Any suggestions is greatly appriciated.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by jamessr View Post
    I do need some advice on how to check that power steering cooler. I can see my coolant is still green with some oily substance in it. However its not black like the motor oil, its clear like power steering fluid. I'd like to be 100% sure before I goto the dealership again. Any suggestions is greatly appriciated.

See Post # 11. I think if you remove it from the car and place it in a bucket of water you should be able to use compressed air to check for leaks. Just don't blow the thing up! Plug one hose off and blow air into the other hose while watching for bubbles.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

A good idea is just to trash the cooler or get a diff one, look at it like this the engine coolant is atleast 160 degrees so i dont see how running power steering coolant that shouldnt even really be that hot through a cooler with that temp is helping. Also the coolers are notorious for failing basically theyre two pipes in one, water flows through the middle and around it is a sleeve where the power steering fluid goes through then the next pipe is the jacket you see on the outside. I'm not really sure how its tested but it sounds like to me the inside corroded and broke through u can take it out and just connect the lines direct or go get another cooler but the stock one just isnt worth the time. Also if youre having to add fluid every week thats a lot of fluid and you surely be able to see it leaking on your driveway my bet is on the cooler. If you had a bad headgasket the motor would probably be missing from lack of compression and you would lose some power....

White
    2000 Trans AM

I spoke to the dealership today. Basicly I was told what the "master" technician with his 18 yrs plus experience had done. The service manager isn't sure if a compression test was even done. They didn't sample my oil or coolant because its too exspensive.
    The technician noticed I was low on engine oil, (didn't he note how low I was) but since he didn't see a leak he concluded thats the engine oil in my coolant. Totally blew off the fact I've been putting power steering fluid in every month.
    No further testing was done except the 27 point inspection and the estimate for a new engine.
    Now I'm getting a full refund for the original diagnostic, and alot of " I'm sorry"
    I'm also $4600 into a new engine that will be here tomorrow and not even sure I can return it.
    The master technician still beleives I need a new engine. They also offered to take a 2nd look at it. I just lost all confidence in that shop. I feel they just took my money, smoked a cigerette and gun decked the testing.

No faith at all in that dealership.
    Not sure if I can disclose the dealership here but PM me if you live in
    Newport News, VA area.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

I dont see why you couldnt return it, but if not did u atleast order an ls6 theyre about the same price and you get a bigger kick in the pants. I think scoggin dickey has ls6 long blocks in the crate for $3200 all u do is swap over your accessories and electronics.

White
    2000 Trans AM

I checked that site, I didn't see an LS6 for $3400.

black
    1999 Z28 camaro

i would say blown head gasket, do you notice alot of cond. coming out of tail pipe or steam ? there is a fix called thermagasket or steel seal 800-796-7968 look at both sites . hope it,s just a blown head gasket instead of cracked heads , if get :get trick flows?

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jamessr View Post
    I checked that site, I didn't see an LS6 for $3400.
    I would call they have deals that are time limitted

also check sponsers some sell long blocks and may be able to get you a good deal

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...P2143C273.aspx

or a rebuilt one
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-CH...1#ht_500wt_956

Call scoggin dickey as they get them in from time to time plus either of the above engines come with an oil pan you wont need so u can sell it and recoup some cash. Although I think everyone here agrees that at worst your motor has a bad head gasket more likely and less costly is the power steering cooler..... The only thing that would really call for the engine to be replaced would be a cracked block which is highly unlikely unless its been SEVERELY over heated and even then probably not. If it did you would be either leaking coolant from the block or it would be running poorly since the water would be getting inside the cylinder bores.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

theyre not on theyre website atm but it looks as though they have some
    http://www.smokinvette.com/corvettef...d.php?p=383126

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

btw hope there was no issue with the links no sponsor sells this crate motor so i didnt see an issue but if there is jus lemme kno

White
    2000 Trans AM

The Chevy dealership tested my coolant of determined it was power steering fluid. They also tested the cooler and it had a rupture in it. To replace all the hoses and flush the entire system was only about $4000 cheaper than the other place. I went with that...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Glad to hear. Saved you a lot of money and frustration -- especially as the new engine would have had the same thing happen.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

I'm happy things worked out for you!!!!! What a moron master tech!!!! Dude, read up on our engines and become YOUR OWN mechanic!! You just cannot trust people........between your brain and LS1.com/ls1howto we can all save money!!

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert

glad I found your post

Just read your coolant problem post and I put two and two together. I was really concerned about my coolant but now that I have the same issue as you had. I feel better. going to check out my Power steering tomorrow. For a month now I have been adding fluid like crazy. But now I know why. Thanks to all that helped you and me.

White
    2000 Trans AM

If you been adding fluid for awhile, it might have done some damage. I ha dmy heater core replaced because I was told it had already started leaking.
    Just something else for you to check.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

First problem- taking the car to a dealership. Second problem- believing the "Techs" at the dealership. Not saying everyone of them is tripping but every one I ever dealt with was totally out of it. I had surgery one time and had to get some work done-never again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information