Thread: oil grade

pewter
    2000 pontiac trans am ws-

oil grade

i have a 2000 ws-6 with 130,000 miles what is the best oil to use and what grade, i always run into an obstacle when it is time to change the oil because i don't know what oil grade is best, if it helps i live in west Texas where it is hot pretty much the whole year, can anyone help?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Either Amsoil or Pennzoil Platinum are the best oils on the market. Amsoil is a little better but not sold on shelves like Pennzoil is. 5W - 30W would be fine to run. Do a search and you will find many threads that Sarge has spoken..... he is the oil guru/master around these parts.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

I thought Sarge ran Schaeffers?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Goat-E View Post
    Up on the air on that one. I believe Amsoil but he likes Schaeffers over most brands IE. Mobil 1 and such....... I could be wrong, once he sees this thread I am sure he will chime in.

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

(A prayer) Oh Sarge we doeth beseech thee. Bestow thine blessing upon us for we seek to gather knowledge from thine omnipotent "Oilings"!
    Then again, if you can't bring the Sarge to you then you must go to the Sarge. (for justice you must go to Don Corleone. He don't post on ls1)
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...&highlight=oil
    Ta Da! (click the link man!)
    Last edited by Goat-E; 08-11-2009 at 01:48 AM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

if i am not mistaken..he uses schaeffers, amsoil and PP on his vehicles. To the original poster i dont see why you couldn't run10w 30 ..if not that go 5w-30..see which one you think you like better..personally..i exclusivly run Pennzoil Platinum with ac delco filter pf46 for my care..my car show'd a nice improvment in idle and throttle response (at least in my head) when i changed from mobil 1 to PP. its one of the best you can get.

Arrow Preferred Grade

Quote Originally Posted by supercampeones4 View Post
    i have a 2000 ws-6 with 130,000 miles what is the best oil to use and what grade, i always run into an obstacle when it is time to change the oil because i don't know what oil grade is best, if it helps i live in west Texas where it is hot pretty much the whole year, can anyone help?
    The preferred grade for your car is 5W-30 which I'm sure you knew that. So a good quality 10W-30, 5W-30 or 0W-30 motor oil will give what your car needs.

As long as you have good oil pressure, e.g., 10psi per 1000rpm. No need to consider switching to a thicker oil grade.

CompSyn

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    The preferred grade for your car is 5W-30 which I'm sure you knew that. So a good quality 10W-30, 5W-30 or 0W-30 motor oil will give what your car needs.

As long as you have good oil pressure, e.g., 10psi per 1000rpm. No need to consider switching to a thicker oil grade.

CompSyn
    Might I add that the tolerances on these engines are very tight so the thinner oil is necessary to penetrate between the bearings. If you read this CompSyn, could you direct me to some hard data on your ATF? Belay that. Nice PDF on how to flush the torque converter! I am already planning on using your differential oil. Thanks.
    Last edited by Goat-E; 08-12-2009 at 04:03 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I do. And Amsoil and Pennzoil Platinum.
    Stick with XX-30 weight oils for our LSX motors. Regardless of mileage.

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I do. And Amsoil and Pennzoil Platinum.
    Stick with XX-30 weight oils for our LSX motors. Regardless of mileage.
    Oh Sure! Now you cop to the Amsoil. I am betting after following you around your running like this front to back. Schaeffers-engine Valvoline Dextron VI-trans Amsoil-Differential Pennzoil-occasional flush due to high detergent values. This is purely speculation on what I have seen so far. I'm running Platinum 5/30 with 1 quart of 10/30 in the block at the moment cuz it's my first change since acquiring the car and I don't know what the hell was in there before. Probably Dino. Figured I'd douche with some high detergent syn before going for the high end product. Well anyhow, the oil god made a showing and for that we should all be thankful.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i can never tell if you are serious or just kidding

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i can never tell if you are serious or just kidding
    I try to inject a little humor wherever possible. It's more fun that way. Do you think I should begin categorizing my quotes so as to not confuse anybody? Like before each line I could put J for joke or NJ for not joke. How's that sound? The real way to tell is to know the difference between fact ans bs and then it kinda plays out on it's own.
    I have read a lot of Sarge's posts for we are both GTOmies (Like homies that own GTOs) I posted once that I was going with Amsoil because I liked their warranty and he kinda mocked me and told me I should look at it more closely. So I did and consequently broke my screen. Set me back $150-J.<this means joke. So now I'm giving him a little ribbin'. Don't worry my friends are confused also. I actually tell the facts for the most part. It's just that my writing style has a humorous edge to it. PS Everything in that post was true.
    Last edited by Goat-E; 08-12-2009 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Either Amsoil or Pennzoil Platinum are the best oils on the market. Amsoil is a little better but not sold on shelves like Pennzoil is.
    I have been able to find Amsoil oils here on the shelves forsale. Check around, I've found them in the strangest of places.
    One of which being ACE Hardware,,,haha

But there is a great old school auto parts store up the street where I have been getting hard to find auto parts, they are called 7th Ave Autoparts,,,and they deal in all the Amsoil products. Hard to get past the $12 a quart price though

Arrow Nice PDFs...

If you read this CompSyn, could you direct me to some hard data on your ATF? Belay that. Nice PDF on how to flush the torque converter! I am already planning on using your differential oil. Thanks.
    You got it!

Automatic Transmission Fluid and Filter Change Procedures- pdf link

Amsoil AFT data bulletin – pdf link

I posted once that I was going with Amsoil because I liked their warranty and he kinda mocked me and told me I should look at it more closely. So I did and consequently broke my screen.
    If I’m thinking of the right post, I think you were interested in taking advantage of the 15,000-to-25,000-mile/1-year oil change. Whether that’s correct or not, the main thing that applies to most LS1.com forum members is that the Amsoil 1-year oil change warranty is void in the instance of modified vehicles; and that’s most every body here.

But like I’ve mentioned here before, there are people who can and do successfully run their Amsoil 25,000-miles/1-year and have the UOAs to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I have been able to find Amsoil oils here on the shelves forsale. Check around, I've found them in the strangest of places. One of which being ACE Hardware,,,haha

But there is a great old school auto parts store up the street where I have been getting hard to find auto parts, they are called 7th Ave Autoparts,,,and they deal in all the Amsoil products. Hard to get past the $12 a quart price though
    It is hard to pay retail for anything. And that’s a good reason why you find a DEALER you can trust and get hooked up on buying at wholesale cost…

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I try to inject a little humor wherever possible. It's more fun that way. Do you think I should begin categorizing my quotes so as to not confuse anybody? Like before each line I could put J for joke or NJ for not joke. How's that sound? The real way to tell is to know the difference between fact ans bs and then it kinda plays out on it's own.
    I have read a lot of Sarge's posts for we are both GTOmies (Like homies that own GTOs) I posted once that I was going with Amsoil because I liked their warranty and he kinda mocked me and told me I should look at it more closely. So I did and consequently broke my screen. Set me back $150-J.<this means joke. So now I'm giving him a little ribbin'. Don't worry my friends are confused also. I actually tell the facts for the most part. It's just that my writing style has a humorous edge to it. PS Everything in that post was true.
    Funny post of the year-seriously

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Funny post of the year-seriously
    Oh c'mon, I've done and will do better.

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

You got it!

If I’m thinking of the right post, I think you were interested in taking advantage of the 15,000-to-25,000-mile/1-year oil change. Whether that’s correct or not, the main thing that applies to most LS1.com forum members is that the Amsoil 1-year oil change warranty is void in the instance of modified vehicles; and that’s most every body here.

But like I’ve mentioned here before, there are people who can and do successfully run their Amsoil 25,000-miles/1-year and have the UOAs to support it.
    I only drive about 5000 miles a year so I think I'm good with that. It's the anti-friction properties that interest me most because I want to get efficiency with my HP. In my MOD plan the HP is coming mainly through better utilization of available energy an lowering resistance.
    Thank you for the links. When the time comes I will be sure to use your code. You are quite helpful and prompt.

It is hard to pay retail for anything. And that’s a good reason why you find a DEALER you can trust and get hooked up on buying at wholesale cost…

The advantage to retail is I can swing in and pick it up anytime. But you are more than welcome to talking me into wholesale ordering. Whatcha got??

Post Esters oils...

I only drive about 5000 miles a year so I think I'm good with that. It's the anti-friction properties that interest me most because I want to get efficiency with my HP. In my MOD plan the HP is coming mainly through better utilization of available energy an lowering resistance.
    Thank you for the links. When the time comes I will be sure to use your code. You are quite helpful and prompt.
    The answer in your quest for reduced friction is a motor oil high in esters.

I posted on the topic of esters a while back here on LS1.com

See: LS1.com - Esters in Motor Oil - link

I've got just the thing for you and it will work out great since you only drive 5k a year.

Watch your PM box...

Post The secret...

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    The advantage to retail is I can swing in and pick it up anytime. But you are more than welcome to talking me into wholesale ordering. Whatcha got??
    Okay, here’s the secret on how to buy Amsoil at wholesale cost, don’t tell anyone.

It’s called the Amsoil Preferred Customer (PC) Membership - link

I posted an example of how this PC membership pans out on THIS LS1.com post.

CompSyn

Thread Information