Thread: Oil consumption

Artic White
    1999 Camaro Z28

Oil consumption

Good evening everyone, I have a quick question. My LS1 uses about 1 1/2~2 quarts of oil in between oil changes. I have asked a couple of people that i know, some say that the LS1 has a tendacy to use more oil that the ols small blocks. Is this normal? Car does not smoke when it is cranked up or when it it running. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama99z View Post
    Good evening everyone, I have a quick question. My LS1 uses about 1 1/2~2 quarts of oil in between oil changes. I have asked a couple of people that i know, some say that the LS1 has a tendacy to use more oil that the ols small blocks. Is this normal? Car does not smoke when it is cranked up or when it it running. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Well, The Stock LS1 PCV system is sup par. Since you are not noting any serious blue smoking at high RPM... I would bet a poor PCV sustem. Myself, personally, Went with that exact thing as the PCV sticky in the GTO section. Check it out.

Artic White
    1999 Camaro Z28

Hi-Pro Thanks for the info. Kinda new here where and how do i get to the article that you are speaking about?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

If you are seeing blue smoke at higher rpm, I would start looking at valve seals.

Artic White
    1999 Camaro Z28

Thanks HI-PO no smoking at high RPM or when the engine is started, thats what was confusubg me. I was thinking maybe valve seals but no signs that it was valve seale either. Let me ask 1 more dumb question. In the articla a couple of guys mentioned using ( PP 10-30 ) oil what does the PP stand for?

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Penzoil Platinum

Metallic Black
    1994 Trans am GT

my silverado 5.3 l had the problem with the last oil change. I always use mobil 1 synthetic and for some reason it was 2 qts low. so I decided to change the oil to Valvoline synthetic and so far no issues. I have about 4k on this oil change. its weird though I always used mobil 1 in the truck since new.

Artic White
    1999 Camaro Z28

I have been using Castrol Syntec. I beleve that I am going to try a different mfg.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

As Hi-Po said, I've look into the PCV system as the culprit. The stock PCV tends to really guzzle up oil, especially if you have an manual trans.

The best thing you can do is convert to the LS6 style PCV, and then if necessary you can also run a catch can. I did the conversion on my car, and I've been happy with it. I don't have a catch can either, I just run a clear plastic fuel filter between the PCV hose and intake manifold to catch the crap.

When it comes to ls1 oil usage it seems there are so many different levels because of the terrible piston matching gm did. My 99 used 1qt every 500 miles and ran AWESOME...my 02 doesn't use ANY and doesn't run near as well as the 99.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 99RTA View Post
    When it comes to ls1 oil usage it seems there are so many different levels because of the terrible piston matching gm did. My 99 used 1qt every 500 miles and ran AWESOME...my 02 doesn't use ANY and doesn't run near as well as the 99.
    Its not that the pistons are not matched. The issue is with the fact that the LS1 uses Hypereutectic pistons, which expand at a different rate than the rest of the metals in the engine. Hence why some motors have piston slap when cold.

Post NOACK volatility

Some motor oils have greater tendencies to boil off under normal operating conditions. See also NOACK volatility.

Click HERE for larger image.

CompSyn

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

make sure u dont have a blown head gasket. on my dakota r/t, i didnt torque the heads properly and was losing oil from there. took the heads off. cleaned everything up, retorqued, and all better

Thread Information