2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Noise and oil pressure issues. 2000 SS

Ok, let's see if I can describe this. When I start my car in the morning, or after it has sat for a while, I hear this ungodly constant whine in my engine...what's weird is I can't pinpoint it, and I think it's internal. I can go to the back of the car, and the noise is projecting out of the tailpipes as well!! Sounds almost like some kind of bearing whine....hope not. Anyway, after about 30 seconds, I hear a noise that sounds like a turbo blow-off valve and the noise quits at that instant.....now, here lately when the car warms up, especially if the air conditioner is running, the oil pressure will drop between the 20 and 40 mark and bounce up and down a little. This car is my DD, so any help would be appreciated.

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

Sounds like the AIR pump kicking on and then turning off. Normal if that's it.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
    Sounds like the AIR pump kicking on and then turning off. Normal if that's it.
    Well if it's that, then it's coming off anyway when I get my LT's. But why would I hear it only when I first start the car? Does the AIR pump only kick in when you first start the car, or does it come back on? And why would I hear it through the tailpipes?

orange
    99 z28

yeah its only on the first few minutes after startin the car. the point is to get air to the cats faster. if anyone knows what else could cause this noise (pretty constant) please share, i'm worried about my engine at the moment

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Orange99z28 View Post
    yeah its only on the first few minutes after startin the car. the point is to get air to the cats faster. if anyone knows what else could cause this noise (pretty constant) please share, i'm worried about my engine at the moment
    I see. So it probably is my AIR pump. I bet the noise projects through the pump into the engine and out the tailpipes. Well, then this isn't much of an issue since it is being removed soon. And the oil pressure I have been monitoring, doesn't seem to be a problem, just a tick lower than normal with the AC, no bid deal. And it's just about time for an oil change anyway. So is your car making the same noise, or what?

orange
    99 z28

no, its a whistle, or whine i really can't tell. sounds like its coming from pass. side around the head. i took both pullies off and ran it - noise still there. when i start it it's not there, but as soon as i touch the gas it starts and keeps goin until i shut her down. also when i shut it off its like air pressure was built up and after the engine stops it kind of does a psss noise like i have a leak in some vaccum hose or something?? anyone got any info?

Thread Information