Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: no oil in heads

408 ci + 4000 stall = fun lancesT/A's Avatar

red
    2002 SS

Exclamation no oil in heads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i got my 408 in the car and at first i disconnected fuel to prime the oil pump then i busted it off it knocked bad for the 5 seconds i let it run i pull the valve cover off and no oil is n the heads at all i pulled the hardened push rod out and there is oil at the bottom but none is coming thru rods are new hell everything is new how long am i supposed to run it and do i actually have to bust it off for awhile for the oil to make it up idk... im registering 45 psi so i know the crank has oil anyways do i have to let it run for awhile plz help

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Are your pushrods too short for the setup? I know that's a dumb question but it's a start...

red
    2002 SS

no they are 7.400 with stock rockers lifters are comp r's

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

May be another stupid question but when you assembled the motor.....Did you oil everything up. I oiled the shit out of every part on my H/C build so that when it was building pressure, it wasn't dry.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

red
    2002 SS

i oiled up everything but the build took a month so maybe it drained down it started coming out the push rods but just a little the car ran at idle for 5 to 10 mins but the valve noise was still overly loud realistically how long would it take for everything to lube up assuming it was a dry start

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Usually about 5-10 secs max. How much preload are you running on the lifters? Comp r's run very little (1/16th inch?), wonder if you've over compressed them with too much lift or actually tried to go low and there's excessive lash now.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

did oyu bend the oil pickup when putting the pan on???

red
    2002 SS

idk anything about preloading the lifters everyone said soak them in oil for awhile before u install them and i know i didnt bend the pick bc im running 65 psi at idle its making it to the heads finally just not very much

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

All I did with my setup is soak the lifters til they stopped bubbling and put them in with 7.4" pushrods and tightened rockers to 22ft lbs and I haven't had a problem yet. I am kinda puzzled on your situation.....

red
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    All I did with my setup is soak the lifters til they stopped bubbling and put them in with 7.4" pushrods and tightened rockers to 22ft lbs and I haven't had a problem yet. I am kinda puzzled on your situation.....
    i soaked my lifters for 2 days....... they sat in the block for 2 weeks after tho maybe they dryed back out? idk this is frustrating

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by lancesT/A View Post
    i soaked my lifters for 2 days....... they sat in the block for 2 weeks after tho maybe they dryed back out? idk this is frustrating
    Even if all the oil ran down, there has to be some oil on something still.....And on top of that, the system should be fully oiled within a few seconds.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

After re-reading. These motors are known to be a little noisey when you change the valvetrain. What type of camshaft and such did you run. Give us all of the internal parts so it can help narrow it down.

red
    2002 SS

tsp 408 tsp giant cam 248/254 .612 / .624 113lsa patriot stage 3 heads not milled.... fast 92/92 tsp hardened push rods comp r lifters ls2 lifter trays ported lls6 oil pump double roller timing stock rockers that pretty much narrows it down

red
    2002 SS

its so loud it sounds like a diesel way more than the typical valvetrain noise

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Hmmm Bare with me for a second, but did you check to see if you needed valve reliefs on the pistons. Thats a big duration camshaft. Did you check to make sure the valves aren't hitting the tops of the pistons. Don't really know if that would cause oiling problems but it would make it very very noisey.

red
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Hmmm Bare with me for a second, but did you check to see if you needed valve reliefs on the pistons. Thats a big duration camshaft. Did you check to make sure the valves aren't hitting the tops of the pistons. Don't really know if that would cause oiling problems but it would make it very very noisey.
    i asked tsp repeatedly about the clearance and they said i should have no prblems its a valve clackin noise but not like its hitting the piston i just dont know whats up im gonna try callin tsp on tues to ask them for advice

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

i asked tsp repeatedly about the clearance and they said i should have no prblems its a valve clackin noise but not like its hitting the piston i just dont know whats up im gonna try callin tsp on tues to ask them for advice
    I asked TSP and Ls1speed.inc and could never get a straight answer with my set up. I asked LS1.com and 99.9% will tell you to measure and not take someones advice since the cam could be a little off. Did you degree the camshaft.

red
    2002 SS

i had a mechanic buddy degree the cam since i didnt know how im prolly gonna be pulling my heads just to look at them to see if the are hitting i dont think they r tho

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

i had a mechanic buddy degree the cam since i didnt know how im prolly gonna be pulling my heads just to look at them to see if the are hitting i dont think they r tho

Unfor thats probably the best route to go. It extremely hard to figure out a problem of that caliber without being there. If you want, you could post a vid of it for all of us to hear. Only problem with that is, if its something really bad, you don't want to run it much. The less the better.

red
    2002 SS

im prolly gonna start taking the heads off today damn its gonna be a pain with the motor n the car

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information