Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Newbie Looking for advice on winter project.

Hi guys I'm looking for some idea's opinions on my winter project.
    Ok what I have is a stock 99 Trans Am WS6 A4. It has a 150000 miles on it runs like new, very strong. But just not quite fast enaugh!
    All I got on it is a axle back Magnaflow with dual tips , k/n filter and a diablo tune.
    Now. I have a Thunder racing costume Cam shaft. And a set of Shorty headers.I will be getting an LS6 intake and throttle body of of a 2002 Z06 Vette. I was thinking to do Roller rockers and push rods also. But I'm not sure which ones to go with. Also can I do an EGR delete on it and if yes what needs to be done. Also is there the way to convert the LS6 throttle body to my car? The LS6 is drive by wire while mine is cable? Would this shorty header that I have be any good or should I go with a differend long tubes?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

LPM
    2000 Z28

I would do long tubes. And you will have to do the egr delete with the new intake.

LS6 Intake, LS6 VCT, E^2 Catch Can, Hooker LTs and ORY, Magnaflow Cat-Back, 3" QTP electric cutout, UMI adj LCA, PHB, 3 pt SFCs, STB, MGW Shifter, SLP lid and bellow, Free-Mods, Tuned by BlueCat

Best to do a converter before you go sticking a camshaft in there. Not only is a converter the best bang for your buck (even on a stock LS) but a cam with more overlap without a loose converter will give you drivability issues.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Agree with FBJ. Plus, get rid of the K&N and go to a paper drop in filter, clean the MAF to get rid of the oil from the K&N, get rid of the Diablo tune and pick up a Frost mail order tune (site sponser), upgrade valve springs, go long tube headers.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ What he said.

Black

Are you guys talking about catalitic converter? Because if you are I am planing to put high flow cats on it with the headers and a 3" middle section with cotout at the same time. The k/n didint give me any troub le sofar. But I did hear some issues with them but mostly on GM trucks. Should I bother with the rollers and the pushrods. Or leave them alone, just do the springs? And with the headers I have a set @ home for free that's why I was asking if is there a big diference between shorty's and long tubes. Is it worth to spend the extra money to buy a new set when I have this alredy.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Referring to a torque converter as you have an A4.

Not only do the K&N filters cause issues with the MAF by coating the wires with oil, they also allow way too much dirt into your engine.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

You will see a considerable difference between shorty and long tubes. Shorty headers don't flow much better than stock manifolds.

Black

Ok. I guess I made a mistake not reading up on stuff before I bought the cam. I don't think ill put it in the car since I have no intensen of touching my tranny or the converter.
    I just ordered a set of BBK long tubes along with 80mm throtle body. I guess ill just finish the exhaust with a high flow cat and the cut out. Intake and throttle body. Should I even bother doing the roller rockers and push rods? And I'm gona get a costum tune from diablo.
    Little disappointed. Not quite what I had in mind.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Let's consider this again before you give up on the cam. Do you have a copy of the cam card you can post?

Black
    '01 Trans Am WS.6

Are the k&n filters really that bad?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

First hand experience. You are much better off with a nanofilter, such as the Amsoil Ea, or a dry paper filter.

I wouldn't quit on it. Any good running car with an auto needs a good converter. Especially an LS1. Night and day difference, even if the engine is stock.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Go with converter and gears first. No EGR with the LS6 intake.

Black
    '01 Trans Am WS.6

Good to know. Guess I better get that thing out of there. Thanks!

Black

Ok let say I'll go with it any suggestion on the torque converter, and where to get it from?

There are alot of good ones. Some of them to check out and price shop would be Precision Industries, Yank, and Coan would all have something more custom to your application that would work the best.
    There are off the shelf brands others like to use such as TCI and B&M.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Get the converter hardened push rods springs and a custom dyno tune frost is good but with a cam you need some one in the car to tune it right and your stock rockets are rollers and should be good to go
    "The Camaro SS looks like it could kick your ass. The Trans Am WS6 looks like its on its way over to do it."

treat stressful situation like a dog. if you can't eat or hump it, then piss on it and walk away.

keep your foot in it,till you see god

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I went with a 3,200 stall in our car. If I had to do it all over again, I would have bolted up no less than a 3,600 stall converter. We street drive our car too and I was concerned about having a high stall converter in it. Honestly, it's not bad at all especially if you retain the lock up feature.

Black

Hmmm. I guess I'm gona have to do some more reserch on it.because to be honest I saw a couple of vids,on you tube with the same cam in camaro's and Trans am's. And I really like the sound of the cam. But at the same time I'm not sure if my motor can handle all of that with having a 150000 on it. And I don't wanna put all that money into it and then having to change the motor half way thru summer.
    Thank you guys for all the input. I guess now it comes down to how deep is my wallet. and how much work I wanna take on my self.

Thread Information