black

new motor what should I build?

I need the most bang for the buck what should I build? I was thanking a 383 with a set of good heads. I need to make a parts list to know how much $ im looking at. Its not a daily driver. what or who has some good motor packages.

FASTER THNA SPEEDINtICKEt BANDITO's Avatar

White
    2002 trans-am

I've been looking also 383's I heard had problems with them im not sure but o well hopefully I learn ^.^ I thought about a 427 or a 402 im not sure

black

I have a 8.1 big block out of a 2005 2500 hd truck in my shop I was going to build. It may look good in my car, but it is going to take alot of work to get the 8.1 in. It would be cool but i don't think it will be worth it.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by dow inc. View Post
    I have a 8.1 big block out of a 2005 2500 hd truck in my shop I was going to build. It may look good in my car, but it is going to take alot of work to get the 8.1 in. It would be cool but i don't think it will be worth it.
    Definitely not an ideal engine for an F-body. The Vortec 8100 has both cast iron block and heads, making it extremely heavy. The amount of weight it would add to your car, especially the front suspension, would be considerable. I'm also not so sure it would fit, seeing as the LT1 was extremely close to the f-body strut towers as it was, and a big block is even larger.

Being a stroked 454 big block, it also doesn't like to rev, either. Its more suited to pulling trailers than powering a muscle car. Apparently the 8.1's are also notorious oil burners as well, due to the sheer size of each piston, they tend to consume more oil than your average engine. A diesel is much better suited to pulling duty in a truck, and a big cube LS series is more suited to performance duty in a car, which is probably the reason GM discontinued use of the 8.1 in '07.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

lq4/9 is the best bang for the buck if you don't mind 75lbs. from the iron block. Easy to take them to 402 or 408 cubes. Tons of head options available for the bigger bore too. Seen several guys doing real good on budget unported l92's.....

Thread Information