Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

New Mobil 1 Extended VS German Castrol

This is a discussion on New Mobil 1 Extended VS German Castrol within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Sarge Never heard of that stuff! of course you haven't I meant Mobil 5-20W not 4-20,,, I ...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Never heard of that stuff!
    of course you haven't I meant Mobil 5-20W not 4-20,,, I hate when I rush typing...

Black
    2005 GTO

Nevermind

Red
    2002 TA WS6

To each there own. Theres no point to this what so ever. M1 is a good oil, along with gc and pp. It has been proven that gc and pp shows less wear when a UOA is done that is all we have been saying. Just because gm recomends it does not mean its the best. Gm also recomends changing your coolant 5years or 150,000 miles spark plugs and wires at 100,000 miles. I bet you don't stick to those recomendations. Anyway like I said before to each there own, I bid you good day.

Yep, I got to agree it is pretty pointless debate. Just because an oil still flows at a given temp. does not mean it flows freely enough to provide lubrication. I think this point has been made about synthetics enough times that I shouldn't need to rehash. I never said AMSOIL or Pennsoil were no good, simply that Mobil 1 is superior and the choice of more top tier racers and manufacturers. The test and HP charts in the link provided earlier seem to confirm that without bias. Sure another brand will protect better at a thicker viscosity, or under other conditions that they set, but for performance under the same conditions Mobil 1 has proven itself time and time again. Looks like we will agree to disagree on this subject.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by VTR99 View Post
    simply that Mobil 1 is superior
    But it isn't.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Pretty hard, if not completely impossible to believe. At the very least this dealership must be one of the most dishonest in the country. Most engines won't run more than a couple minutes without oil. I would be willing to bet no engine has ever run 30 minutes without oil. Anyone remember the Prolong Viper supposedly running in the desert without oil? How about 13 seconds when tested against their claim!

http://www.thebestoil.com/updates.asp

http://www.ftc.gov/os/1999/09/pslcmp.htm

http://www.ftc.gov/os/1999/04/972303...padminicmp.htm
    why in the hell would i make something up like that? i could care less if it died in 2 seconds or 2 days but no shit it ran for that long. it was noisy as hell yes.
    I never said AMSOIL or Pennsoil were no good, simply that Mobil 1 is superior and the choice of more top tier racers and manufacturers. The test and HP charts in the link provided earlier seem to confirm that without bias. Sure another brand will protect better at a thicker viscosity, or under other conditions that they set, but for performance under the same conditions Mobil 1 has proven itself time and time again.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Ok you guys ! The whistle has blown ! Everybody outa the pool !

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

dont worry blue02Z he is just jealous because your dealership had a car run longer than his record..woo!

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Just test the shit yourself, what is it like 20 bucks, run your M1, then run another with the same miles, each time using the same brand of filter when you change so everything is fair. Change the oil at 2500 miles. Don't beat the shit out of the car during the test period. I would also keep to the same brand of gas, 5,000 miles later you'll have your answer.

Then come back and post your data.

Sounds like someone has Exxon/Mobil stocks.

For me, I only have 1500 miles on my last oil change with M1 and that shit is coming out of my car, and Pennzoil Platinum is going in, oh and the M1 filter is taking a hike too, an Amsoil is taking it's place.

Ya know what, I'm not even gonna buy Mobil gas anymore.

Boycott Mobil!!!Boycott Mobil!!!

Red
    2002 TA WS6

Sounds like someone has Exxon/Mobil stocks.
    XOM is a great stock, but I made most of my money this summer in VLO, and COP. We bought VLO calls at 55 and recently sold em' at 75. Helped pay for the new TA...

BlacK
    2001 WS6

XOM is a great stock, but I made most of my money this summer in VLO, and COP. We bought VLO calls at 55 and recently sold em' at 75. Helped pay for the new TA...
    How did I know?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

VTR99 your making absolute definitive statements and I am challenging those statements and you dodge/duck and slide around them with yet more marketing bullshit. I have said and will reiterate for everyone.......
    When somebody comes here to LS1.COM and makes absolute statements that are not absolute they are going to be challenged. So yes this is a discussion and not a flamefest...
    Secondly Mobil1 is a good oil. Not the best and ridiculously over priced. Accusing me of being a liberal and "disliking large corporations" is an inference I cannot let slide. How in the hell am I a liberal and hate large corporations and endorse Pennzoil Platinum a product of Shell Oil? No....your desperate for any and all distractions of fact as you cannot back up any of your absolute statements with fact as I have....just marketing bullshit and endorsements that have bought and paid for.....no comment on the LS1 UOA getting better wear numbers with Havoline versus Mobil1....no comment on the spectra analysis of virgin Mobil1....no comments from you on anything......other than more unsubstantiated marketing hype you have bought into...
    You make insanely inaccurate assumptions based on pour points and totally dismiss HTHS and cSt numbers.....you make equally retarded statements on conventional oils and synthetics and their characteristics under heat without ever mentioning pressure or stress......so obviously you read to damn many advertisements and really need to stop posting like you have a clue what in the hell your talking about as you know diddly shit about motor oil friend.

Mobil 1 is being used by some of the best GT pro car racing teams out there. I know that from personal experience. not saying Mobil1 is superior cause I don't have data to back it up, but most pro racing shop use it. my 2 cents.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Sure it is good oil and I'm not saying it is not.
    I am saying this:
    Mobil1 is misleading folks about being a 100% PAO base.
    Mobil1 does not deliver the best wear results for our motors.
    Mobil1 is an excellent marketing company and makes a great race oil as many others do also.
    Mobil1 has many issues as of late with film thickness and wear numbers.
    Mobil1 is significantly over priced for what it is.

So when I see guys jump on here and make definitive absolute statements they get challenged......never said Mobil1 is bad oil....never said that.....but will challenge anybody to respond to the data I submitted to this discussion with something other than how many race teams use Mobil1 because I don't give a shit as I don't have a Le Mans/F1/NASCAR I have a 2004 GTO and Mobil1 clearly has proved not to be superior to other off the shelf oils available today. Period!

I believe you, it's all in the marketing of it

Red
    2002 TA WS6

VTR99 your making absolute definitive statements and I am challenging those statements and you dodge/duck and slide around them with yet more marketing bullshit. I have said and will reiterate for everyone.......
    When somebody comes here to LS1.COM and makes absolute statements that are not absolute they are going to be challenged. So yes this is a discussion and not a flamefest...
    Secondly Mobil1 is a good oil. Not the best and ridiculously over priced. Accusing me of being a liberal and "disliking large corporations" is an inference I cannot let slide. How in the hell am I a liberal and hate large corporations and endorse Pennzoil Platinum a product of Shell Oil? No....your desperate for any and all distractions of fact as you cannot back up any of your absolute statements with fact as I have....just marketing bullshit and endorsements that have bought and paid for.....no comment on the LS1 UOA getting better wear numbers with Havoline versus Mobil1....no comment on the spectra analysis of virgin Mobil1....no comments from you on anything......other than more unsubstantiated marketing hype you have bought into...
    You make insanely inaccurate assumptions based on pour points and totally dismiss HTHS and cSt numbers.....you make equally retarded statements on conventional oils and synthetics and their characteristics under heat without ever mentioning pressure or stress......so obviously you read to damn many advertisements and really need to stop posting like you have a clue what in the hell your talking about as you know diddly shit about motor oil friend.
    Well I'm not going to waste a whole lot more of my valuable time on this nonsense. I have provided more credible evidence than you have. Most of your info is just more banter on this or some other forum, or some unknown, undocumented test that you approve. Furthermore you don't seem to be capable of carrying on an objective debate without getting into an emotional pissing match. Also your reading comprehension seems a bit limited... I did not call you a liberal, I said your tone makes you sound that way, and asked if you were one? Being a former Texan myself, I should have known better...

The site, and test I provided is obviously very pro AMSOIL, but even they admitted Mobil 1 produced more hp at the same viscosity that any other oil. They did rate AMSOIL and BP Visco 5000 #1 and #2 with Mobil 1 #3,but this was based on price vs. performance. They stated
    "In the case of a pure performance or race engine where power is priority and oil changes can be frequent, the 0-30/40 oils such as the Mobil 0-40, Castrol R, or Royal Purple would be best suited."
    Mobil 1 produced the most hp by a good margin... Hence my claim Mobil 1 is the best racing oil, and chosen by more top race teams and manufacturers than ANY other oil.....Period. If you choose to disregard the thorough, independent, and unbiased information available, that is your option.

As a side note it doesn't bother me in the slightest to pay a few extra bucks for my oil and filters, and I change them frequently. So yes, if you are trying to be a minimalist and want the very most for your money by all means go with a cheaper oil. I personally would rather have that 1 or 2% extra horsepower. Those who choose to believe Mobil/Exxon spends billions on R&D in order to make false claims are welcome to their opinion.

http://www.performanceoilnews.com/oi...nst_oils.shtml

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

You obviously are in total denial.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

I'm gonna give it a stab, first of all these tests were performed with fresh oil and as you can see, M1's shear numbers pretty much sucked, it did however produce the most HP, question is, how long does that ability last?

It wouldn't matter in a race car would it? They can change the oil every race.
    But for us driving street/track cars, it does matter.

Right from the start it's giving bad shear numbers, which Sarge and others have shown is the case when used on their own cars.

I'd like to see the same test performed with 2000 miles on the oil, I can tell you from my own experience M1 starts to disappear around that mark, with no oil leak in site and many...many people said that problem was cured simply by switching to another oil.

So how long it can hold any increase in HP is very questionable and metal is shearing away right from the getgo.

99.99% of the people want the least amount of wear on the engine unless they have money to burn for engine rebuilds...like...a...race...team...does.

Also, as Sarge has already pointed out, this is not off the shelf stuff, none of it is the stuff we put in our cars.

Again, would like to see the same test performed on street oil, at fresh startup and after 2000 miles, then you have something to look at.

Would also like to see it done by an independent lab, not one with an obvious bias.

Now let me back you into a corner, based on this test...and this test alone...what oil would you rather have in your 2002 red WS6 T/A???

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

I called Auto Zone yesterday and confirmed they had CASES (albeit six quarts to a case) of Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 that was just in off the truck. I was there within an hour and they only had six quarts left!!! Plenty of 5W30, but no more 10W30. I bought the six quarts of PP 10W30 they had ($6.19 a quart) and settled for Valvoline Durablend 10W30 and a Bosch filter (a $15.99 special) for my '96 Dodge Ram. The guy in AZ was baffled why the PP 10W30 got sold so quickly. So was I. I was gonna buy enough for three oil changes.

Now something that strikes my funny about Mobil 1, which I've used for quite a while. I started with a brand new '89 5.0 Mustang. Back then the "claim" was 10% better HP. I never bought that, but they did indeed claim that 15,000 intervals were perfectly okay between changes. Never bought that either. I have regularly changed my oil at 5000 miles in my DD's, but with much less miles in vehicles that sit a lot more. My truck normally gets only 3000 or so miles on it a year now, but it's got 103K on it. Uses less than a half quart of oil between changes. For many years I settled for Havoline 10W30 or 10W40 with one quart of Mobil 1 Synthetic added (0W30 for a while). This type of change was used in about 8-10 different cars/trucks over the years and I never, EVER had an internal engine problem. One of those cars, an '85 Caprice with a 305 went over 300,000 miles according to the next owner who drove it like a friggin' taxi before that engine gave out. I had a '94 T-bird that the current owner has went over 150,000 with. No issues, and it is still as strong as a n/a 4.6 can be. '93 Intrepid with a 3.3L? Same deal. '85 Cadillac Sedan DeVille with a 4.1 "Digital" aluminum V-8 FWD went over 130,000 and survived a locked up thermostat that caused the entire electronic system to go ape-shit (that was a special day). Still, no internal damage, and a screwdriver stabbing fixed that thermostat long enough to get a replacement. (that particular DeVille also had a rotor button desintegrate in the distributor cap area, that was impressive).

Now all that was with mostly Havoline dino oil which I found seem to give the best MPG of the oils I tried. It also made a believer out of me that regular and judicious oil changes are much more important than the brand of oil. In regular conditions I have found that 5000 with a daily driver is fine, but that should be the max. I do not agree that oil needs to be changed at 3000 miles unless the vehicle is rarely driven, but I am completely sure that NOT changing your oil and FILTER are the most damaging effects you can submit to the engine's internals.

If an oil company says their oil can go 15,000 or more miles between changes, I disregard their comments from then on. I would rather use a mediocre dino oil three times (changes) during 15,000 miles than ANY synthetic once. I use synthetics to "blend" in everything else but my LS1. It gets the full treatment.
    Why? Honestly, because it makes me feel good. My results have been pleasing to me. That's experience saying that regular maintenence is much more important than JUST a name brand. Some oils are definitely better, but OIL and FILTER changes are what makes an engine last.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    FILTER changes are what makes an engine last.
    I agree with that statement, also I do an engine flush every 40k...

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    I agree with that statement, also I do an engine flush every 40k...

It truly amazes me how people will do all kinds of research on oil, then just grab whatever filter is available. The filter is much more important than that.

Motorheads (Sarge, etc.) know that though......

Like a very trusted mechanic told me once, if he could only afford new oil OR a new filter, he would re-use the old oil and get a new filter, without a doubt.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-14-2012, 12:10 PM
  2. 09-14-2011, 07:15 PM

Thread Information