New to LS1's..buildup questions

This is a discussion on New to LS1's..buildup questions within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hey gang- I am new to the LS1 engines. I am looking to get my LSI in my 01 Camaro ...

New to LS1's..buildup questions

Hey gang-

I am new to the LS1 engines. I am looking to get my LSI in my 01 Camaro rebuilt/built up. I am on about a 3500-4000 dollar budget. I dont need anything real fancy, just would like more power. I am taking the motor into a shop, I just would like a bit of a heads up before I go in.

I basically want more power/torque with minimal programming, tuning, etc. I am okay with a stall converter, but as far as the prgramming goes I am a bit scared. Nobody in my area seems to have a clue.

What would you guys recommend? I know the block needs to be bored, and I am also looking to put a new cam/springs/pushrods in there as well. How about those Professional Products intakes and throttle bodies?

I also will not be running any kind of forced induction.

Is my budget to small? Like I said, I dont need anything fancy, also it will be street driven.

Counld you point me in the right direction as far as a cam for the stock heads, programming, etc?

Thanks guys!

Black
    02 SS #8719

Heads/cam intake and exhaust set up could be done on that budget if you did some careful shopping. But on the tune aspect make sure you do find someone who KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING! N20 of course is a good bang for you buck, but I believe you'd spend about the same $ to really get the juice set up RIGHT, not just thrown in in your buddys driveway on the weekend. You'll still need a good tune in my opinion.

Stroked Slowmaro

Silver
    2000 Z/28

If you have to tow it 100 miles or so I would make sure you get someone to tune it that knows what there doing. Without a good tune it dosent really matter what you do to the motor. I tow mine about 150 miles and its worth every penny. Call texas-speed.com. They can give you some options.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Or give Thunder Racing a call and order a cam and mail order tune through them. I have a friend with a T-Rex and mail order tune and it runs really strong. And then when you get some time, get it fine tuned with a good shop. Oh and while you are in there, might as well go ahead and get a new LS6 ported oil pump and LS2 timing chain. Save you some pain down the road. And yeah some new springs, and pushrods would be a good investment.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by e-tach View Post
    Hey gang-

I am new to the LS1 engines. I am looking to get my LSI in my 01 Camaro rebuilt/built up. I am on about a 3500-4000 dollar budget. I dont need anything real fancy, just would like more power. I am taking the motor into a shop, I just would like a bit of a heads up before I go in.

I basically want more power/torque with minimal programming, tuning, etc. I am okay with a stall converter, but as far as the prgramming goes I am a bit scared. Nobody in my area seems to have a clue.

What would you guys recommend? I know the block needs to be bored, and I am also looking to put a new cam/springs/pushrods in there as well. How about those Professional Products intakes and throttle bodies?

I also will not be running any kind of forced induction.

Is my budget to small? Like I said, I dont need anything fancy, also it will be street driven.

Counld you point me in the right direction as far as a cam for the stock heads, programming, etc?

Thanks guys!

what makes you say your block needs to be bored? your block should be just fine. I had 110k on the odometer when I just did my heads and cam swap and there was virtually no wear on the cylinder walls. The LS1 has a sleeved block and is very strong. Your budget is perfect for a quality heads and cam swap with all major supporting upgrades.

Black & Black
    2001 Firehawk & 2002 WS-6

+1 on why the block may need to be bored. Also more information would help before giving you a list of mods. What mileage are you at? What mods do you already have? I would think the Heads/Cam and supporting mods along with a set of headers would probably be a stretch, especially once you add is the labor cost. Also I am guessing you are an auto since you were talking about a stall so keep in mind you may need to budget some extra in for that and if you put a different cam in, it will have to get a tune.

Thread Information