Thread: new to ls1's

black
    1998 firebird

new to ls1's

i just recently sold my 1986 iroc and bought a 1998 t/a. I love it but wanna ugrade the motor. does the ls2 top end make more power.If not what top end does, and is it hard to do work on these computer controlled cars? lastely how strong is the bottom end?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by shaolink9 View Post
    i just recently sold my 1986 iroc and bought a 1998 t/a. I love it but wanna ugrade the motor. does the ls2 top end make more power.If not what top end does, and is it hard to do work on these computer controlled cars? lastely how strong is the bottom end?
    well the ls2 will pull harder top-end.,..but why not just mod your ls1? a cam could give you more top end. and well the 98's had a different pcm..so to find a hand-held tuner is difficult with 98s. and stock bottom ends vary on how much they hold..about 450rwhp i would consider close to the limit...the bottom isn;t forged so they cant handle alot of boost.

NBM
    1998Z28

I would replace the rod bolts with ARPs or another quality brand before I started adding to many motor mods and definately replace the oil pump with the LS6 pump! Right now you need to find you a used LS6 intake and an aftermarket air lid. Maybe port your throttle body while your changing out the LS1 to a LS6 intake. Leave the MAF alone! Bigger isn't better when it comes to MAFs. Your stock one is fine. 98s are the rod bearing spinning bitchs from hell. Don't let anybody tell you any different. They made changes to the oiling system and upgraded to rod bolts in the later models of the LS1s.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

black
    1998 firebird

so how hard is it to work on is it like trdional small block for the most part on the inside? is there alot to disconnect?

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6 T-top

All the other stuff the members to you is the same thing I have heard from other 97',98' ls1 owners. I would recommend that you go to ls1howto.com and go to a book store and order How to build high-Perfomance chevy Ls1/Ls6 v8s by Will Handzel.
    By the way do not apply sbc/bbc theory to this motor. The ls series motors don't break the rules they bend them.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Computer controlled cars seem daunting at first compared to a SBC but they are actually not much harder. There are alot more plugs and sensors but 99% of the time they will only go one place due to either length or shape of the plug itself. Not like an old q jet with 6 different vacuum lines out of it alone.

The LS2 heads and intake will make more than an LS1. The heads are the same as an LS6 but the intake is different and the LS6 intake actually does better. If you can find a set cheap than it might be worth it, otherwise it would probably be better to get a decent set of aftermarkets that flow even better. Can't use the throttle body from an LS2 because it is drive by wire not cable.

black
    1998 firebird

thnks guyz

Thread Information