New to this LS1 thing..

Hello, I am new to this board, but I have been collecting a LOT of knowledge just from reading the posts!

My dilemma is, I am the proud owner of a 99 Z-28 6-speed car, but I am wanting to get some more power out of the 346. I am looking to install TSP true duals, TSP headers, FAST 92/92 ported by TSP, Aeromotive Fuel parts, and FAST injectors, and also MSD Ignition parts. I have been hung up though, on what kind of heads and cam to install. Texas Speed seems to have the best parts going for these cars, but I know from past experiece that Trick Flow has some good shit! I haven't ever used AFR heads, they have always been too pricey for my taste, but that doesn't mean that I haven't drooled over them! Which would be the better set of heads for right now, and a possible LSX swap within the next year or so? I also welcome all other options, I am looking to make big street power for a weekend only ride!

On the cam side of the story, I am almost deadset on the MS4, but I'm wondering how it will work with my application. Will it be too much overkill? What will I have to modify to run one? I want the best performance cam out there, but I do understand bigger isn't necessarily always better, and that something maybe a little less drastic may be my better choice, such as the .585 lift cam that Trick Flow has in a package deal with their heads in Summit for their 515hp kit.

So there ya go, thats the two pairs of heads I have narrowed my choices down to, the AFR and the Trick Flow Gen X's, and should I run the MS4 or something else? All help will be appreciated!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by mav86ls1 View Post
    Hello, I am new to this board, but I have been collecting a LOT of knowledge just from reading the posts!

My dilemma is, I am the proud owner of a 99 Z-28 6-speed car, but I am wanting to get some more power out of the 346. I am looking to install TSP true duals, TSP headers, FAST 92/92 ported by TSP, Aeromotive Fuel parts, and FAST injectors, and also MSD Ignition parts. I have been hung up though, on what kind of heads and cam to install. Texas Speed seems to have the best parts going for these cars, but I know from past experiece that Trick Flow has some good shit! I haven't ever used AFR heads, they have always been too pricey for my taste, but that doesn't mean that I haven't drooled over them! Which would be the better set of heads for right now, and a possible LSX swap within the next year or so? I also welcome all other options, I am looking to make big street power for a weekend only ride!

On the cam side of the story, I am almost deadset on the MS4, but I'm wondering how it will work with my application. Will it be too much overkill? What will I have to modify to run one? I want the best performance cam out there, but I do understand bigger isn't necessarily always better, and that something maybe a little less drastic may be my better choice, such as the .585 lift cam that Trick Flow has in a package deal with their heads in Summit for their 515hp kit.

So there ya go, thats the two pairs of heads I have narrowed my choices down to, the AFR and the Trick Flow Gen X's, and should I run the MS4 or something else? All help will be appreciated!
    1. Forget the MSD coils. NOT needed in your power level.

2. AFR and TFS cost the same. With TFS actually costing more with the extra added cost of after market rockers. Can not go wrong with either. Great head.

3. TSP.... I dont know where to start. This site does not sponsor them so I am allowed to say what I want. Thier heads are grossly over rated, and take all engine dyno graphs they post with a grain of salt. PRC are a great budget head yes, but not better then AFR and TFS. I just saw a graph with 5 different heads on thier engine dyno. Somehow the PRC shined over every single head listed. Thats BS, you might have good heads... but you have to be truthful. Thats why I am not considering thier heads. Marketing bullshit spread thicker then extra chunkey peanut butter on whole wheat coming from that place.

4. MS4 is an all out race cam in a 346 application. You have to understand what your getting into with that cam series. Its a wild cam and loves to scream and high RPM. Read up on what cams do, when and why. Its kinda important

5. Buy the BEST heads you can afford. Then pick your cam to match the heads. Its really that simple. There are a few guys over at Tech that spec very nice cams out. Also COMP and Cam Motion can and will spec a cam out for you. Off the shelf will work, but a custom will work better.

I have been used to old school SBC's and Big Blocks, but this is my first go at building a new Gen motor. You just confirmed what I had been thinking about TSP, the Marketing BS and such...

I was kind of skeddish on the PRC heads, it is hard to convince me that a dressed up 5.3L truck head will flow as good as a fully CNC'd AFR or TFS head. Also the MS4 cam kind of came off as overkill, with a .650 lift..although the LS1 is a full roller set up, a .650 lift cam has pretty much a WFO powerband. I may just go back to my original plans and buy the TFS 515 hp kit they have in Summit and a good set of rockers.

I guess the MSD kit would be $1500 wasted then? I didn't know that the LS motors had that good of an ignition system? I guess GM came leaps and bounds from the 80's to the 90's. I'm still used to the old HEI Distrbutors..haha

Thanks for the info!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by mav86ls1 View Post
    I have been used to old school SBC's and Big Blocks, but this is my first go at building a new Gen motor. You just confirmed what I had been thinking about TSP, the Marketing BS and such...

I was kind of skeddish on the PRC heads, it is hard to convince me that a dressed up 5.3L truck head will flow as good as a fully CNC'd AFR or TFS head. Also the MS4 cam kind of came off as overkill, with a .650 lift..although the LS1 is a full roller set up, a .650 lift cam has pretty much a WFO powerband. I may just go back to my original plans and buy the TFS 515 hp kit they have in Summit and a good set of rockers.

I guess the MSD kit would be $1500 wasted then? I didn't know that the LS motors had that good of an ignition system? I guess GM came leaps and bounds from the 80's to the 90's. I'm still used to the old HEI Distrbutors..haha

Thanks for the info!
    Ls1's to not have a full roller rocker. Just a roller fulcrum.

PRC heads are good heads. I just dont like how they market them against other brands. If your heads produce 85% the same power as your competitor heads but cost half the price.... thats how you should market them. Not with lies and BS.

MSD coils are a complete waste of money anywhere near the power you would be making even with the TFS head/cam package. The ignition wires are so short in the L-series that with just a good set of MSD wires and a good plug (NGK TR 5's or a Autolite) you will b just fine.

Thread Information