Thread: New to LS

Black
    1996 Pontiac

New to LS

Well I owned an LT1 Firebird that performed really well for what it was and was trapping 107 with nothing but bolt ons with stock stall and no RR or EWP
    anyways thats sold and looking to move to the LS platform

Joining the Air Force here within the next few months (41 days) and when I get settled I want to get into another Trans AM but this time with an LS1 Powerplant. I know the basics of the LS platform but with so much "LS" branded stuff I'm not sure what will interchange with what. I know the LS1 and LS6 or similar engines but not 100% HOW similar they really are......Goals are a mid 10 second 6 speed car not sure what type of cubes you can get out of these or what it will take for the most part. I've browsed a little bit but everything seems to be dyno numbers and thats not what I'm after

I know the rear end will have to be addressed an S60 or 9 inch would be the plan. What I want to do is build a motor on a stand along with built tranny and rear end so while I drive the car stock so it won't be down for a few years or how ever long it takes to get the car done. So what would be the best way to do this. Stroke it and put some nice heads and cam, Nitrous? Forced Induction? and last question how streetable can a mid 10 second car be with the LS platform

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site! But for the fact that I have to run off to a meeting, I'd throw out some answers.

Ray Charles blue

Lofty goals!

383 stroker kit, aftermarket heads, Fast intake/TB, pretty good size cam. Sounds like the tranny and rear will be rebuilt and/or replaced so you should be set. You will want to change out your stock suspension as well.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ok... I'm back. You'll probably want to build the car from the back to the front. Start with subframe connectors, lower control arms and a panhard bar. Next get a decent rear under the car and upgrade the torque arm. For the track a tunnel mount works great, but it does transmit noise into the cabin. A full length torque arm has better street manners, but get the front mount for the torque arm off the back of the transmission. If you go auto, you'll want a 3,600 stall and may want to consider an upgraded transmission as well. I went with a Performabuilt Level II and 3,200 stall in our car (kind of conservative) and it works great. During all this, you'll want to also tackle the exhaust upgrades and get a good set of stainless long tubes and such installed. Now you are ready to build up the motor.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Being that you want to run a mid-10s car and it be a M6, FI might be your only option, or juice.

You'd probably need a relatively large cam to get there staying naturally aspirated. Not sure how you'd like that on the street.

A decent size cam complimented with good heads/intake/exhaust and you'll probably be knocking on 460rwhp. Might not be enough with a M6. These T56's aren't the best when it comes to shifting at high RPM and rowing through the gears hard. An upgrade to the internals makes them a little less notchy though.

Now an A4 is a different story. You can probably do a mid 10s auto without breaking the bank.

As comparison, I'm a M6 with 500rwhp and I'm hoping for an 11.3 and I have a pretty stout drive-train/suspension.

Whatever route you choose I'm sure you'll have fun with it. Good luck!

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Being that you want to run a mid-10s car and it be a M6, FI might be your only option, or juice.

You'd probably need a relatively large cam to get there staying naturally aspirated. Not sure how you'd like that on the street.

A decent size cam complimented with good heads/intake/exhaust and you'll probably be knocking on 460rwhp. Might not be enough with a M6. These T56's aren't the best when it comes to shifting at high RPM and rowing through the gears hard. An upgrade to the internals makes them a little less notchy though.

Now an A4 is a different story. You can probably do a mid 10s auto without breaking the bank.

As comparison, I'm a M6 with 500rwhp and I'm hoping for an 11.3 and I have a pretty stout drive-train/suspension.

500rwhp and trap a 11.3 (yes I read you hope for a 11.3)??? Traction issues at the line?? Sorry A4 here with maybe a tad over 400rwhp and run 11.5's.. I know I know A4 hush...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder:2745160

500rwhp and trap a 11.3 (yes I read you hope for a 11.3)??? Traction issues at the line?? Sorry A4 here with maybe a tad over 400rwhp and run 11.5's.. I know I know A4 hush...
    Basing off what everyone is telling me who tracks often. Guy here with the exact set-up as me bested an 11.09 with full slicks.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Ray Charles blue

Jon, I agree getting a HUGE amount of HP out of the stock cubes would mean a not so street friendly car. A stroker kit though or an iron block 408 would be a little different.

I vote bigger engine AND FI!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I guess I was assuming the OP would stick with a LS1. If not, the possibilities are endless.

Ray Charles blue

I guess I was assuming the OP would stick with a LS1. If not, the possibilities are endless.
    If you are going all out may as well sell the current power plant and build a new mill.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Suspension and drivetrain upgrade first.

Having 500+ hp is great, but when your rear explodes before the 60', it's really not doing anything for ya.

Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Id start w/ bolt ons and heads/cam first...you'll atleast need those for 10's. Budget stroker w/ a LQ4/9 is also an option....then definately address the rear.

Heads/Cam/Intake/Stall.
    404 Rwhp uncorrected @ 6400

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Basing off what everyone is telling me who tracks often. Guy here with the exact set-up as me bested an 11.09 with full slicks.
    Okay I figured you would be low 11's or high 10's with your setup. Well minus the Nitto's. I'm cam only and running close to your (hope for) FI times. I would hope that you would be .5 to 1.0 faster than me. Again I know A4 here....

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by BrownsMillsAntz View Post
    Id start w/ bolt ons and heads/cam first...you'll atleast need those for 10's. Budget stroker w/ a LQ4/9 is also an option....then definately address the rear.
    I would do SFC's and the rear first. Then I would start with the heads/cam. If you race with heads/cam there is a good chance you will break the rear. Then your down looking for another 10 bolt or looking for a 12 bolt,9" or 60....

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Okay I figured you would be low 11's or high 10's with your setup. Well minus the Nitto's. I'm cam only and running close to your (hope for) FI times. I would hope that you would be .5 to 1.0 faster than me. Again I know A4 here....
    I would love to dip into the 10's. I just don't see it happening though, even with a real tire. My first attempt will be on MT's, so we'll see how those work for me. The suspension is really dialed in now though so I might be able to pull off a decent 60' even with me being a stick.

Black
    1996 Pontiac

I won't limit myself to anything... I know about all the suspension upgrades due to having the 96 and of course plan on them

With the 6.0 what kind of cubes can you get out of them? I know the more displacement will help the cause here for sure and I think if I were to go power adder it would be Nitrous and like I said I want to drive the car stock and build everything for it on a stand (Motor, Tranny Rear) and go in all at once and sell off a stock drive train and of course I know about the Headers and all the supporting mods TB, etc. I know about AI and seems to me their top end kits for the LT1 stuff is top notch how about in the LS world?

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Lawhead View Post
    I won't limit myself to anything... I know about all the suspension upgrades due to having the 96 and of course plan on them

With the 6.0 what kind of cubes can you get out of them? I know the more displacement will help the cause here for sure and I think if I were to go power adder it would be Nitrous and like I said I want to drive the car stock and build everything for it on a stand (Motor, Tranny Rear) and go in all at once and sell off a stock drive train and of course I know about the Headers and all the supporting mods TB, etc. I know about AI and seems to me their top end kits for the LT1 stuff is top notch how about in the LS world?
    With an ls1/6 you are really limited by the bore on the block because it can only be taken out to .010 over. Doing a stroker kit on one would net you 383 cu. With a 6.0 iron block you can bore it .060 over and add a stroker kit again. A .030 overbore and a 4" crank on a 6.0 will give you 408" which is probably what you want to get you to your goal. The added displacement will really help tame out the hp in a street car. A good custom cam and a set of GOOD heads like that of AFR or trickflow will ll help you get there. At the end a 10 sec street car is hard do and have it be perfectly streetable. In the end I would say a well built 408 with all the mods will "flirt" with 500whp through a 6 speed and will do low 11's an auto would put you in the 10's either way though you will also need a built tranny. Btw AI does amazing world in the ls world too. AI, AFR, Trickflow, or TEA would get my vote for any ls head choice

btw i see your from port st john, is that the one in central fl? My sig says I'm from south fl but I now go to UCF so I'm not too far away fro you if thats the case lol

Black
    1996 Pontiac

For about 40 more days I'll be here lol shipping off to basic and such the 20th

But yes its the one in central florida lol

Thread Information