Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

New Heads or Port/Polish Stock Heads?

This is a discussion on New Heads or Port/Polish Stock Heads? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Your looking at 60 hp plus!! We have seen 100 hp before between heads/cam/intake/tune. If you are stroking the motor ...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Your looking at 60 hp plus!! We have seen 100 hp before between heads/cam/intake/tune. If you are stroking the motor it will make a bigger difference. Or big bottle is the same cause you are adding liquid oxygen just as if you were stroking it by adding more air naturally.
    I'll let you know later this week on a local shop.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

408 ci + 4000 stall = fun lancesT/A's Avatar

red
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Black02LS1 View Post
    Thats it?...one person estimated more like 60-70 hp gain.
    that is the low end... i always say if you have a lower expectations you wont ever be disappointed even though you probably will get more like 70hp. i called a shop in my area and they would charge me 400 for that serdi job that ls2 tuner talked about and then a extra 150 to port and polish

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Here is a small pic of a couple cutters. You can see how it is a smooth radius versus 3 straight angles.
    Last edited by LS2Tuner; 05-17-2008 at 10:49 AM.

Blue
    03,EB Z06

Well what kind of cam do yoiu think would match that port/polish job? Also what kind of pushrods and valve springs would be good. Ide like to be able to rev to almost 7k. Its not a necessity, but it would be cool! Im just looking for whatever is feasible.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

You need to call the cam company of your chose with the exact #'s from the flowbench with your flow #'s and the rpm range you want.
    http://www.cammotion.com/
    Then once you get the custom ground cam for your specs you match the springs to your cam. I like K-Motion Springs myself.
    http://www.kmotion.biz/springhdwe.htm
    Pushrods as I've stated on here many times already I would contact Smith Brothers and get at least .080 wall rods made and if your running bottle I would even go more than that.
    http://www.pushrods.net/

Blue
    03,EB Z06

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    You need to call the cam company of your chose with the exact #'s from the flowbench with your flow #'s and the rpm range you want.
    http://www.cammotion.com/
    Then once you get the custom ground cam for your specs you match the springs to your cam. I like K-Motion Springs myself.
    http://www.kmotion.biz/springhdwe.htm
    Pushrods as I've stated on here many times already I would contact Smith Brothers and get at least .080 wall rods made and if your running bottle I would even go more than that.
    http://www.pushrods.net/
    cool cool...ok thanks!

Iam over 400rwhp with stock ported heads that have been worked over pretty good with Manley race master valves,hardend push rods,ti retainers dual valve springs and a custom comp cam 228/236,588/578,114 cam. I thought this might give you an idea of what can be done.

01 WS6 T/A
    Cam/Heads
    Stalled
    BMR/QA1
    12 Bolt 3.73
    Mac Mids,ORY,Magnaflow

Blue
    03,EB Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 01WS6475hp View Post
    Iam over 400rwhp with stock ported heads that have been worked over pretty good with Manley race master valves,hardend push rods,ti retainers dual valve springs and a custom comp cam 228/236,588/578,114 cam. I thought this might give you an idea of what can be done.

01 WS6 T/A
    Cam/Heads
    Stalled
    BMR/QA1
    12 Bolt 3.73
    Mac Mids,ORY,Magnaflow
    Damn thats nice. Can you tell me how much all of that was? And what kind of gas mileage do you get?

The engine work was all done by the previous owner I have the receipts that total almost 5000 way to much for me but then again I did not pay for that.Now that included labor,parts,and a tune along with msd wires,ngk plugs and alll the small stuff.The labor cost is what will get you 70-80 an hour now.My cam is close to the G5x1 just a little more lift and duration.Great cam for an auto tranny car.Gas milage is not bad at all,never checked how many miles i get .

Blue
    03,EB Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 01WS6475hp View Post
    The engine work was all done by the previous owner I have the receipts that total almost 5000 way to much for me but then again I did not pay for that.Now that included labor,parts,and a tune along with msd wires,ngk plugs and alll the small stuff.The labor cost is what will get you 70-80 an hour now.My cam is close to the G5x1 just a little more lift and duration.Great cam for an auto tranny car.Gas milage is not bad at all,never checked how many miles i get .
    Yea.. thats cool..well if i could do all that and then still get over 20 mpg or more on freeway then i think ide be ok!

NBM
    99 Camaro Z28 LS1

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=84&catid=40
    Try using something like these, I put TSP's heads on made a tremendous difference. I picked up a set for $900 without springs, then swapped over other springs. These 5.3 bump up the CR and make great torque. I have a 228 dur. cam, with these heads it makes crazy torque down low. These heads were a night and day difference. Porting stock heads cost about what these do. These flow as much/more as the $2400 heads, I know flow number aren't everything but TSP really has there shit in line with these PRC heads, the torque curves prove it all. My car picked up about 49rwhp with these heads only. Be carefull larger cams have to flycut to clear valve's.(G5X3/4, MS4, etc.)

Black
    2000 Z-28

Would there be any advantage to these heads over the CNC ported LS6 heads?

NBM
    99 Camaro Z28 LS1

It will bump your Compresion Ratio up to around 11:0to1 using .040 cometics(head gaskets). Compresion always makes more power. Depending on your application, if your building a heads/cam car with juice these are definatley the heads, especially on a budget. My buddy's car has 100,000 mile bottom end, G5X3 cam, Fast 90/90, these exact 5.3 heads, exhaust, lid, electric water pump, underdrive pulley, and a 100 shot of spray, he went 10.91 at 130mph.His car did 491rwhp on motor. These heads really speak for themselves after the install. His setup with spray is about all you would want to go on stock bottom end, 100 shot is really pushing it, GM rated the LS1 block's at 450 flywheel horsepower. After several years of messing around with these blocks, guys have found they can safely achieve around 500-550 rwhp with the right tuning. Full boltons, a nice cam, fast 90/90, a little spray, and these heads will land you right around where you want to end up on a stock bottom end. If your the kinda guy that likes to look at flow numbers compare these #'s to AFR's #'s, they out flow them and even have smaller runners, these heads are no joke. Flow #'s aren't everything but they play a big role.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information