Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blue
    03,EB Z06

New Heads or Port/Polish Stock Heads?

Ive heard that the stock heads arent really worth messing with. But i have an extra set of stock heads and all i would have to do is have them cleaned and ported and polished. I have an 02 Z28 M6 DD. Im not looking for something crazy...maybe add a mild cam, pushrods, double roller timing chain, double valve springs, and 1.8 roller rockers. Plus does anyone know what this kind of set up will do to gas mileage with my bolt ons?

408 ci + 4000 stall = fun lancesT/A's Avatar

red
    2002 SS

your gas mileage will go to shit but nothing to dramatic, plus we dont have these cars for the fuel efficiency.

Blue
    03,EB Z06

Quote Originally Posted by lancesT/A View Post
    your gas mileage will go to shit but nothing to dramatic, plus we dont have these cars for the fuel efficiency.
    Yea, but i can still squize 18 mpg out of it with bolt ons doing about half city half freeway. But did you vote for New heads or port/polished stock heads?

red
    2002 SS

port and polish your heads and even have someone do like a 3 angle valve job you will get a lot of power and you will save money.

Blue
    03,EB Z06

port and polish your heads and even have someone do like a 3 angle valve job you will get a lot of power and you will save money.
    ok cool...mow much do you think it will cost to have them ported and all and about how much do you think my mpg will decrease if i average 18 mpg now doing half city, half freeway, and keeping my foot out of it....most of the time.

red
    2002 SS

on the high end probably 1000 maybe a little more but that should be taking them off and doing the machine work and putting them back on. but i guess it really depends on where you live. either way it is worth the money and your gas mileage should still be around 16-17 mpg which in my mind is pretty acceptable.

Black & Black
    2001 Firehawk & 2002 WS-6

Most important part to getting good mileage after the mods is a good tune. My firehawk gets around 20 MPG, but the WS-6 gets around 16 or 17 because of the 4.11's and I play with it alot.

Blue
    03,EB Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 2001hawk View Post
    Most important part to getting good mileage after the mods is a good tune. My firehawk gets around 20 MPG, but the WS-6 gets around 16 or 17 because of the 4.11's and I play with it alot.
    How much does a good tune cost? And where can i get one? Plus doesnt a good tune also get more power out of it? So what would be your estimate on WHP with bolt ons (see sig)?

Blue
    03,EB Z06

on the high end probably 1000 maybe a little more but that should be taking them off and doing the machine work and putting them back on. but i guess it really depends on where you live. either way it is worth the money and your gas mileage should still be around 16-17 mpg which in my mind is pretty acceptable.
    Yea it will probably be less than that cus i have an extra set of heads and i will probably be doing it myself, with some help of course.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Have them ported by a GOOD hi-performance machine shop. If your not going to be stroking your motor and making a big cubic inch combo they will be just fine if done correctly.
    First of if you talk to any of the shops and they say ANYTHING about doing a 3-angle valve job RUN the other way!! That is 1980 technology..... You need to make sure the machine shop uses a SERDI valve machine NOT old stones and 3 angle BS.
    The Serdi will cut a nice smooth radious NOT only 3 angles. We have seen major gains just by doing a real Serdi valve job. They can also do some very nice cutting inside the bowl area with the cutters on the Serdi and then hand blend the rest.
    Just remember biggest valves are NOT always better!!! You loose alot of port volocity with a big valve. Call Joe Mondello and he will tell you the same thing. He is referred to as "Porting Professor" and actually teaches machinests the correct way to port.
    Here is a tech article that will teach you some basics.
    I would recommend going to your local drag strip and talk to the bracket racers that are in the points and race every week and you'll see there will probably be 2-3 machine shops that the majority of the racers use. And there will be reasons behind that that will aid in your work getting done right and in a timely manner.
    http://www.tmossporting.com/tabid/3682/Default.aspx
    Thats my 2 cents take or leave it.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

red
    2002 SS

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Have them ported by a GOOD hi-performance machine shop. If your not going to be stroking your motor and making a big cubic inch combo they will be just fine if done correctly.
    First of if you talk to any of the shops and they say ANYTHING about doing a 3-angle valve job RUN the other way!! That is 1980 technology..... You need to make sure the machine shop uses a SERDI valve machine NOT old stones and 3 angle BS.
    The Serdi will cut a nice smooth radious NOT only 3 angles. We have seen major gains just by doing a real Serdi valve job. They can also do some very nice cutting inside the bowl area with the cutters on the Serdi and then hand blend the rest.
    Just remember biggest valves are NOT always better!!! You loose alot of port volocity with a big valve. Call Joe Mondello and he will tell you the same thing. He is referred to as "Porting Professor" and actually teaches machinests the correct way to port.
    I would recommend going to your local drag strip and talk to the bracket racers that are in the points and race every week and you'll see there will probably be 2-3 machine shops that the majority of the racers use. And there will be reasons behind that that will aid in your work getting done right and in a timely manner.
    yea i guess that is right i havent heard 3 angle valve job being done in a while i guess i am old school, oh well now i know. what sad is that i have never even heard of a serdi job before. i guess i have been on deployment one to many times. thank you ls2 tuner for opening my eyes

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

i sincerely hope someone is kidding about a thousand dollar port and polish job. i would check into that if i were you. because for a few hundred more you could have some high flow patriot heads or something similar.

but i agree port and polish would do a world of good for ya.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

yea i guess that is right i havent heard 3 angle valve job being done in a while i guess i am old school, oh well now i know. what sad is that i have never even heard of a serdi job before. i guess i have been on deployment one to many times. thank you ls2 tuner for opening my eyes
    No problem. Glad to help. If they don't use a SERDI I would say they are not a performance minded machine shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    i sincerely hope someone is kidding about a thousand dollar port and polish job. i would check into that if i were you. because for a few hundred more you could have some high flow patriot heads or something similar.

I would stay away from the Patriot haeds. At least the 3 different sets I looked at were NOT the best. There is reason some stuff is way cheaper than others.
    I've had heads ported by Mondello in the past and spent $850 and I would say it was well worth it. The car picked up 4 tenths alone by the prt job NO compression gain. This was on a 377 with some "old" style BowTie heads.
    Those heads sold for $2500 used due to the paperwork and flow #'s from "The Professor"

metallic pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans Am

if you told my boss that he would probably throw something at you lol. He just dropped $3100 for a set of RHS heads to be ported and polished and for a intake to be ported to match for his dirt track car. and that price does NOT include the heads

Blue
    03,EB Z06

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Damn!..Thank you for that info!...thats a lot, but do you know a place that has such a machine in the So Cal area, preferably North SD county? And do you know oh anyone that makes custom cams to match the heads?

Blue
    03,EB Z06

I think he means to have them take my heads off, port them, and then put them back on. Not to just port them.

Blue
    03,EB Z06

What do you guys think the power gains will be from a GOOD port/ polish, matched cam, tune, and bolt ons (see sig.)?

red
    2002 SS

hard to tell the true gains but i would say around 40hp or more

Blue
    03,EB Z06

hard to tell the true gains but i would say around 40hp or more
    Thats it?...one person estimated more like 60-70 hp gain.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Black02LS1 View Post
    Thats it?...one person estimated more like 60-70 hp gain.
    it all depends on the heads and cam....

and tune.

Thread Information