Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new camshaft

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

new camshaft

okay so i knoo camshaftss are big topic on this webstie and everyone seems to be having the same problem as me. My problem is i want to keep it a DD and dont mind a rough idle but dont want it to bad. I was researching the Texas Speed cam packages and was thinking MS3 or the torquer and this comes with new springs and pushrods. my question is are springs and new rods all i would need to replace to keep me from damaging the engine i kno the cams going to make my revsa lil higher. any input is appreciated i have an m6 by the way.
    mods include pacesetter LT's, Volant CAI, and pro 5.0 short shift

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

All that you have to have when putting in a new cam really is springs, and a good tune. Pushrods are a topic that is up to debate and most like to replace the stockers with hardened pushrods. I personally have the stockers and they go up to 6500-6700 with my setup and have no problem. I would also recommend upgrading to at least an LS2 timing chain, and LS6 ported oil pump (cheap insurance and you will be in there anyway).

Of your two cam choices I would lean towards the Torquer 2, but to me it is still just a little bigger then I would want to run in my daily, but only a little.

red
    1998 Z28

since u r on the topic of the torquer 2 i thought id butt in and i was just wondering if either of u two know when the torquer 2 starts to get power, where it peaks, and where it ends? if u know where i could get a dino graph that would be much appreciated

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

ms3 is not a good daily driver, and the power under the curve has dissapointed many less power under curve with marginally better peak #'s, Ms4 or torquer is a better option if you must go that route.

Black

thanks alot for the responses guys so torquer 2 over the Magic Stick? any other experiences with other cams from different companies (dynos ect.) Im not going to swap the heads for a while but want a big enough cam that when i do it will make a difference. Also plan on getting a fast 90/90 combo soon after the cam so want a good overall package.
    Last edited by NewYawk WS6; 11-29-2008 at 12:24 PM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Call comp cams or another maker and have them build you a custom cam. You can go on ls1tech and look under dyno results to see people gains.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I'm a fan of the Texas Speed 233/239 cam.

Black

may be a lil too big for me i need to keep this a DD but im liking the Texas Speed productss too how much difference does the lsa make? pretty new to camshaft mods trying to learn as much as i can.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Every one seems to like the comp cam 224 decent power throught the curve.

NBM
    2002 Z28

228R 112lsa or something in that range.

BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper View Post
    228R 112lsa or something in that range.
    Great all around DD IMO!!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by TRANS-DAD View Post
    what kind of mileage and power you making with it.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by TRANS-DAD View Post
    Agreed, cams right around that size seem to work well for our cars as daily drivers. I do prefer a little more exhaust then intake though with stock heads.

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    what kind of mileage and power you making with it.
    Mine is almost the same as the 228R (226/228 .585/.588 lsa 112) and I did not notice any change in mileage except when I could not keep from playing around more

black
    2001 Camaro SS

i dunno if my sig works yet but i have the 228r and i love it. i put down 386rwhp and 368rwtq, it's got that good sounding idle and i'll second that it's an excellent dd cam. anyway man i've got a video of me punching it and also one of just an idle if you'd like a link, i'm having dejavuh

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by chevyss1234 View Post
    i dunno if my sig works yet but i have the 228r and i love it. i put down 386rwhp and 368rwtq, it's got that good sounding idle and i'll second that it's an excellent dd cam. anyway man i've got a video of me punching it and also one of just an idle if you'd like a link, i'm having dejavuh
    put a link on the thread for us all to see. I want a cam just would have to get a stall or never drive it around in first

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Not a 228, but close, thought I would offer up what mine sounds like. Sorry it is a crappy run and not the best quality, but it is the only vid I have of the Camaro (true duals, LTs, and 226/228 cam at the factory tire shootout in Denton).

black
    2001 Camaro SS

m'kay here it is:
    this is just the idle. the car was still gettin used to the tune so it's real slow at first, but after a few hundred miles it idles regularly immediately

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/l...dle_176464.htm

And this is me running through a couple gears, it's an awesome cam for a milder cam. i mean i put the back end out in second in this video without even trying. i'll try and get hold of the dyno graph and see if the guys at vengeance still have it.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/l...run_176465.htm

black
    2001 Camaro SS

put a link on the thread for us all to see. I want a cam just would have to get a stall or never drive it around in first

with this cam i don't think you'd need a stall if i understand you correctly. it's exactly what you'd like, it's basically still got the exact same manners as in drivablility it just sounds a lot choppier. And i got the 112 lsa, you can also get 114
    .... where's my sig dammit
    Last edited by chevyss1234; 12-03-2008 at 06:53 PM.

hugger orange

I pickedup my 2,800 tci stall off of ebay for $140 shipped the guy said it was used, but the thing looks brand new. just by putting the stall in with my stock cam it made a big differencem
    just keep an eye out for good deals

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Anything 224/224 or bigger needs a stall IMHO. The tv2 you are looking at doesn't start making good torque til 3500 which is why you see so many guys running around with 3600 stalls with that cam. Decide if you are gonna stall first and how big before you get a cam. You must match them.

tv2 + no stall = pushing through the brakes and a dog down low.

Also always run hardened pushrods ($100) with a cam/spring set up. The new springs will have higher seat pressures and this will cause the stock PR's to flex causing valvetrain instability.

I would the whole cam kit that would also include new locks, Titanium retainers (lighter) and valve seals if you are going to trouble of doing it.
    Last edited by SOMbitch; 12-04-2008 at 09:52 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information