Gibby06

New Cam problems?

Hey guys new to posting on the board but always reading it.
    i just installed a Comp Cam XR265HR-15- on a 2000 TA- also with this i installed the lower pulley and other bolt ons with no computer tune..
    now my computer is throwing the codes P0410 AIR System and P1637 Generator-L-Terminal Circuit.
    now with that the car is acting weird is ..
    Its cold out so when i start it it doesnt want to idle at all.. which is no big deal..once it comes up to temp it does ok just a little rough which i figured is expected. but what i didnt expect is for the car to just out of the blue sitting in gear and clutch engaged for the car to just die.. or when shifting slowy for the car to die. Its like when the RPM's are up and u engage the clutch to come to a stop it just dies.. Whats going on with this thing.. anybody have these problems, or do i just simply need a good tune on the vehicle. i know Comp cams said with this cam no computer modifications where needed. but if i need it then i need it.. any help would be greatly appreciated guys!!
    Thanks in advance
    Kevin

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Any cam needs a tune to run smooth.

Not sure what P1637 relates to though. Might google it and see what you get.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby06
    i just installed a Comp Cam XR265HR-15- on a 2000 TA- also with this i installed the lower pulley and other bolt ons with no computer tune.
    Did you yourself install the cam? If so, we'll need to go back to the very beginning....

now my computer is throwing the codes P0410 AIR System and P1637 Generator-L-Terminal Circuit. now with that the car is acting weird is.
    Was the ECM reset? This is why we'll need to go over all of the work that was done....

Whats going on with this thing.. anybody have these problems, or do i just simply need a good tune on the vehicle. i know Comp cams said with this cam no computer modifications where needed.
    Although tuning would bring you the full potential of any cam, with a grind of only 212/218 522/529-114 LSA, I'd agree with Comp.... no tuning required.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

You need to have the car tuned and look at you T/B there is an idle screw. Take the screw out and put it it from the other side. This will raise the idle a little. Then you can adjust it up or down. I had this done when mine was tuned by GMMG. It still wanted to idle rough when you first cranked it. After they did that it fixed the problem.

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

If you need to raise the idle slightly also you could also take the TB off and drill a small hole through the flap... I did this with mine and i have a big cam and drilling the hole fixed all surging problems.
    Bulletproof Performance
    2002 Trans AM WS6 M6 Collectors Edition
    LSX 427 F-1R Procharged Build Underway
    Estimated Finish Date: Summer 2012-2013

Its cold out so when i start it it doesnt want to idle at all.. which is no big deal..once it comes up to temp it does ok just a little rough.
    It is a big deal though, as this is telling you that the ECM cannot maintain proper A/F ratio during open loop. Once operating temperature is achieved, the O2 sensors come into play. It sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere.

...or do i just simply need a good tune on the vehicle.
    Again, it's not in you're tune. Something was definitely overlooked...
    Last edited by Street Lethal; 02-22-2006 at 08:29 AM.

Rivera Blue
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Did you line up the timing gears Dot to Dot? Did you adjust the rocker arms right?

Black
    98 Trans Am

I agree in that it's definately not in your tune. I installed the bigger comp 216/220 .525"/.534" 114 LSA cam in my car, and it ran perfectly without a tune. When comp says no computer tuning needed, they mean it. Your problem lies elsewhere.

Thread Information