new cam?

This is a discussion on new cam? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Right now im runnin a 2000ss w/hookers headers y pipe, slp dual dual,air lid,slp pulley,kenny brown sbfcs, nitto drag radials,tci ...

red
    2000 camaro ss

new cam?

Right now im runnin a 2000ss w/hookers headers y pipe, slp dual dual,air lid,slp pulley,kenny brown sbfcs, nitto drag radials,tci 3500 stall w/ shift kit, and patriot 243 castings w/ a comp cams 228/228 .588lift on a 114lsa and ran a 12.3. Next month I will be getting installed a 3.73 motive gear along w/ a spohn adj torque arm and lcas which should be good for .3 hopefully.I was contemplating on a bigger cam good for.2s. Possibly a 231/237112lsa.Really dont know which one.Right now its a daily driver but soon a weekend racer.If I do go bigger should I instead go with a 3.90 gear and what cam would best suit me

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

no where above do you list any real reason to want or need to step up to a bigger cam...what exactly are your goals: high 11 sec/mid 11 sec car?

you really wont gain that much more going from a 228 single pattern cam to a 231/237 dual pattern cam. ideally you would want to go bigger, but in doing so you more into peak HP cams (that for your purpose of a weekend warrior might be ok with). perhaps a MS-3: 237/242 .609/.603 @113 or 112 lsa might want to be considered...

as for gearing going from 3.73 to a 3.90 rear gear again really wont be that much of a step up performance wise. IMO, i would install the suspension, and gears and see what happens, just might surprise you...
    2000 SS - The Wicked Witch: °°Cammed 'n Slammed°° 458rwhp/410rwtq
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie_girl30
    I was hoping to just hump her up the exhaust cause she is so damn sexy....
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

red
    2000 camaro ss

I would eventually want a mid 11s to a low 11s car. Later on I am going to step up for a better tranny and a 4000 yank stall and some weight reduction and some better tires ets.With the mods i have now that should mean maybe mid 11s?So i was also thinking about the cam.its a good all around cam but how does that 231/237 perform on the street and track?Mid range top end. LOts of torque or just all 5000rpms and beyond

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by bad4ss View Post
    I would eventually want a mid 11s to a low 11s car. Later on I am going to step up for a better tranny and a 4000 yank stall and some weight reduction and some better tires ets.With the mods i have now that should mean maybe mid 11s?So i was also thinking about the cam.its a good all around cam but how does that 231/237 perform on the street and track?Mid range top end. LOts of torque or just all 5000rpms and beyond
    I honestly cannot tell you. Im currently running a Comp 224/224 .581 @112lsa, Patriot Stage II Ls6 Style heads (59cc), Ls6 intake, SLP Lid, Lt's/ORY, SLP LM, and HP Tune. I also have an M6 car while yours is an A4. I still have my stock 10 bolt and 3.42 gears. Here are a couple links from the 'other' site, one of which I started looking for answers. My FAST 90/90 and 231/237 wont be going in until August since I owed taxes big time this year...

What I have read and what I have researched is that the 231/237 cam is a very strong performer and one hell of a mean sounding cam. One of the links has a guy with some video clips, so check them out if you can. Hope this helps you out...

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699271
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670371

Thread Information