Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Need some help diagnosing this problem (video)

This is a discussion on Need some help diagnosing this problem (video) within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Have you ran the engine with the valve covers off ?...

Have you ran the engine with the valve covers off ?
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red

2009 CTS4 Ice Black

2013 1500 Silverado Z71

02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    Have you ran the engine with the valve covers off ?
    Not sure whom your quote is directed but yes, I have many times. On old SBC's I used to cut the center of the top off an old set of valve covers like a window to see the valves helps greatly if you're running adjustables. Once the valve covers are off it should only take a few seconds to determine which is the culprit. Yes as I said it can be messy but sure beats ripping down a motor for the wrong reasons, and that's why they make shop rags, and degreasers.. A rag can also be layed across the valves to control the oil loss too. Again only a few seconds are involed have a buddy help to shut her down and you've found the prob with just a little mess. Getting dirty is the name of the game...
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-10-2010 at 10:30 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

^ UM ARE YOU HAVING ISSUES ?
    This was for the original poster.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    ^ UM ARE YOU HAVING ISSUES ?
    This was for the original poster.
    Well let's not thread jack..

My bad I missed something. I was talking about removing the valve covers guess that's where the confusion came from..

sand
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Exhaust leak. Look at the video. The motor is perfectly still. If he had a broken spring, bent valve, bad lifter or a bad cam lobe the motor which is perfectly balanced would be shaking if any of the above had taken place. IMO.

I did pull the pushrods out and roll them, they were all perfectly straight (as I figured they would be, since this car is now my daily driver and never sees rpm's above 3200 or so). I did not run the car with the valve covers off, wasn't sure if I could do that or not. That may be more helpful to diagnose the valvetrain. Anything I need to watch out for when doing this (besides the likely mess that will happen)?

T-rexxx (or anyone else), is there an easy way to figure out if I have a bad header gasket (aside from actually replacing it and seeing if the problem goes away)? There is no black soot anywhere around the headers/heads.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by turo View Post
    I did pull the pushrods out and roll them, they were all perfectly straight (as I figured they would be, since this car is now my daily driver and never sees rpm's above 3200 or so). I did not run the car with the valve covers off, wasn't sure if I could do that or not. That may be more helpful to diagnose the valvetrain. Anything I need to watch out for when doing this (besides the likely mess that will happen)?

T-rexxx (or anyone else), is there an easy way to figure out if I have a bad header gasket (aside from actually replacing it and seeing if the problem goes away)? There is no black soot anywhere around the headers/heads.
    Pretty strait forward, just keep your fingers out of stuff and plug the PCV line temporarily before you start it if you have one.. Motor don't care if you bleed.. Just keep your sleaves up and clear of the serp belt and accessories.. .....and DON'T rev it!! Unless you're running a higher capacity oil pump, @ idle the oil should'nt "squirt" everywhere but it can still be messy. Best to let her warm up a little then wait for her to cool some. This will serve to not get you easily burned, and the oil will stay "thin" long after the motor has cooled some. Lot's of people think (because they can't see it) that the oil just squirts everywhere with the valve covers off. But @ warm idle the oil pressure is low and does'nt spuirt beyond the rocker arm valleys then gets poured over the valve stem and spring.

Header leak
    One way is to have someone rev it a few times while you are listening for where and watching for faint jets of smoke. Another is to go out after dark and have someone rev while you look for fire...
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-11-2010 at 10:02 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Mainly I say be safe. If you must wear a long sleeve shirt wear a tight fitting, relatively thin one so you can escape. If wearing something heavy and loose and the motor grabs you.......You're going in, or the limb is comming off!!

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rexxx View Post
    Exhaust leak. Look at the video. The motor is perfectly still. If he had a broken spring, bent valve, bad lifter or a bad cam lobe the motor which is perfectly balanced would be shaking if any of the above had taken place. IMO.
    Check all of your header bolts to make sure they're tight but I highly doubt that it's an exhaust leak judging by the sound.

When did you do your cam and is it still on the stock lifters? It's not uncommon for a lifter to spin in its tray and that sounds like it may be what it is. Unfortunately, your cam lobe will most likely be gouged to all hell if this is the case and you'll need to have the lobe checked but will most likely need a new cam as well. You will need to pull the heads to check lifters and its gonna be a weekend project.
    Last edited by 01ws6er; 02-13-2010 at 06:28 PM.

sand
    2001 Trans Am WS6

After looking at the video again why is the back of your intake especially on the left side while looking at it a different color than the rest of the intake? Does that area get hotter than the rest?

Black
    98 WS6

Take the Belt off to get rid of all the other noises that helps a bunch.

Then you are just dealing with the motor sounds.
    I have a car with a similar issue right now that I am trying to narrow down. But it happen after the motor overheated. Runs fine, just noisey bone stock WS6.

Similar sound, but more on one side and louder tick in the valve train.

One tech buddy said to check for a ceratin head casting as they were bad from the start and know to allow valve guides to move causing a lifter type noise when overheated. The car did not have the bad casting #. No visually bad springs, Push rods straight.

What I did notice is there is virtually no oil in the Drivers head the Passenger side looks fine in comparison. Any thoughts on how the heck that could happen?.

These motors have been so good I have never done more than swap heads. Worked on a ton of 5.0 fords and oil on one side vs. the other cannot happen, its all or none.

Interesting we have similar issues at the same time.

black
    2002 firebird trans am

my car made a very similar noise, it turned out to be an exhaust leak coming from my headers. Damn papar gaskets, a set of the metal gm gaskets fixed my problem.
    I used a stethoscope to find where the exhaust leak was coming from.

black
    02 ss camaro

Sounds like a valve train issue to me.Never tried to run a LS engine without the valve covers due to the ignition coil configuration,but I guess if you had to do it you could to try and find out which lifter is bad,and yes you can have a collasped lifter and no misfire the valve is still going to open.If it was me I would take the valve covers off again..don't run the engine with them off,turn the engine over with a breaker bar so you can watch every valve open and close.When the valve is closed...being the lifter on the base circle of the cam you will be able to determine if you have a collapsed lifter as you will be able to feel the pushrod being loose between the lifter and rocker.Flattened out cam lobe is a possibility as well

Black
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

In addition to the tick/knock, it sure sounds like compression or exhaust is escaping somewhere. Like a head gasket maybe?

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Wow my saturn sounds just like this. Not like a broken V8 but that ticking noise.....I was assuming a lifter or a rod. I've been too lazy to get into it with the weather here though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information