Black
    98 SS

need some good advise

I need to rebuild my heads on my stock 98 SS, the lifters are making lots of noise and a local performance shop thinks that i probably also have a worn out spring/springs. They said that while I am in there it would be a nice upgrade to replace my rockers...(they are trying sell me on the HP advantages of the adjustable Crane accelerated rockers...gold series) and that I would want to have a valve job done. I'm looking to do a Cam in the near future too. Here is what I am wondering, it's looking like it will cost me in the range of $980-1280 to buy everything new depending on the brands/types I go with on the springs and lifters and about another $500 for a valve job. I would still have unported heads cause I can't afford to do them too. It looks like I can buy a set of mild ported heads on ebay with valves and springs for around $1000, and then just buy the lifters, rockers, and pushrods. What would you guys do? I am budgeting myself almost $2000 and I use my car for Roadracing...not dragracing but do want max HP/reliability. Will any of the ls1, ls2 ls6 heads bolt on my 98 block, do I have to worry about anything? (Hey Rob, give me some advise too. I'm the local guy with the black SS that just put on the Bassani duals after looking at yours...love them) Help a poor kid out! Thanks a million

How many miles on the car? Unless badly beaten, I would not think you need to replace rockers. I'd get some stock lifters, get your cam package (springs/pushrods), find some 243 heads on the cheap and go from there. And while its apart, might as well get an oil pump and timing chain too. Do it right the first time.
    '06 M6 GTO (Redrum)
    Comp 228/232
    SW LT's
    GMM Ripper
    JHP Pod
    C.A.I. Air Box
    HPS Tuned
    421rwhp/401rwtq

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Your rockers should be fine......Unless you have a billion miles.....Or they where refering to upgrade to a 1:8 ratio which will multiple your stock cams lift.
    I would atleast find a local machine shop that uses a Serdi Valve machine to do there valve jobs. They can atleast go in the bowl area with cutters and gain you lot's of bang for the buck!!!
    A Serdi valve job is a total radious cut versus old school 3-angle or even 5 angle valve jobs. Which increases flow.
    Be VERY carefull buying heads off ebay. I've seen lot's of people burnt!!!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

2000$ price range can get you some new patriot heads and a cam...

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

like i said.. this is the best advise for that price range
    http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...952705e56268ac

after that 1300, tack on 130 for pushrods (chrome moly) and 400 for cam and 200 for a tune to run it and thats your 2000$!

Black
    98 SS

I think I like the idea of the Patriot heads....that's a good deal on them. I actually only have 30k miles on my 98 SS but in all honesty I have an easy 7-9K miles roadracing my car, so my car runs at high RPM's for much longer then most people's cars thus wearing stuff out. Maybe i'll do those heads, lifters and rockers and then wait for the cam until i can find more money in the couch If I do this work myself, do I have to uncharge the A/C to pull the heads off? Thanks all for the advise.
    Jeff

Thread Information