Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

Need some cam help for 02 ws6

I currently have a 02 ws6 m6 and is basically stock, just tsp rumbler catback. I am planning on new tsp longtubes with off-road y pipe and was looking for help on a cam/valvespring selection. I was planning on keeping stock heads but would change timing chain and oil pump in the process. Just didn't know how aggressive I could go to being stock as it is. My car doesn't get drove much. Just on nice days so I try to keep it nice but just finally wanting to do some upgrades. I do like the more "rough idle" approach but just looking for help

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

There is so much that goes into cam selection. Sounds like you want to step it up just a notch or two. I would jump on Comp Cam's website and use their cam selector tool to run through your options. While you are at it, springs, pushrods and rockers should all be addressed as well. I have been in the same boat now for two years... thinking about a cam to run with my stock 243 heads but just not pulling the trigger.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

By "rough idle" I think you mean the chopper sound you hear depending on the cam lobe, correct? Think like an old school Harley or SBC.

With a manual you can get a lower LSA which gives you more of the chopper sound.

For what you're sounding like a 228 lift cam would work very well for you maybe even something in a 232 range. You'll wake up that LS with out needing to go overboard.

Brian Tooley Racing and Martin Smallwood (on facebook) both have good solid backgrounds in helping ppl choose the right stuff for their goals.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I also 2nd Brian Tooley products. I didn't even know about him until i did a cam swap on a buddies 2002 SS camaro. He got the dual valve springs, retainers, and a bunch of other supporting parts from him for the cam swap. Very good quality parts at a great price. Comp cams is the cam that I went with for my own personal cam swap. The have the online website, as mentioned above, that has sound bites of what the cams sound like also. Very good info on all the pro's and cons of different cams. There are a huge number of things to factor in when making a cam choice. I went with a mild cam because i'am supercharged and didn't really need to add more power, I just wanted to get the bada$$ loopy idle and muscle car sound. I choose comp cams #54-457-11 and i absolutely love it!!
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

Thread Information