Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Need to replace/rebuild LS1 99 WS6 Need Advice!!!

This is a discussion on Need to replace/rebuild LS1 99 WS6 Need Advice!!! within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; What are the specs on that cam (XR281HR) ???...

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

What are the specs on that cam (XR281HR) ???

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Great choice, and thanks for the info Brian. The spaecs are 228/231-571/573@112 LSA

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

hmmm, not bad. I was thinking it was bigger...lol. But then again I do have a pretty big cam allready. MS3.

Black
    1999 WS6

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/.../0406phr_gen3/

Jim,

this is the link to the article.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hoeffler View Post
    http://www.superchevy.com/technical/.../0406phr_gen3/

Jim,

this is the link to the article.
    Brian,
    You're a mind reader! As soon as I signed off, I thought about asking you for the link! I just read it, and thanks a bunch. I have not taken her to the outer limits of RPM's yet, but am already taking notes to have my tuner do the appropriate changes. In retrospect, if you think you'll be running yours in the upper ranges of RPM's, you might want to think about the Titanium valve retainers. They are co$tly. I didn't do it, because I got impatient about getting mine on the road, and didn't think I'd be up there (RPM wise) enough to justify the cost. But that was before I read the article. Seeing as our cam "comes alive" in the upper ranges, it just might be a safe bet. Think twice about the double row chain too. Prices are as follows:

Chain/ $160.00
    Retainers/ $240.00 OUCH!

I just might go for the chain, even now. It also allows for tuning, as we discussed earlier. Has your motor arrived yet? What have you come up with for exhaust? Nothing like the sound of a small block GM with headers!

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Just one more quick thought...I reread the article and they kept mentioning that with better flowing heads that all 3 cams would produce better numbers. But...they were using an LS1..whereas we have the LS6 with higher flowing heads, so you can safely had a bit more HP to the numbers they achieved, as we all know the LS6 heads flow a bit better than LS1 heads.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Another thought...You're going to want to flash your computer with our cam, because if you don't, you'll get "Random mis-fire" codes. My tuner did mine at install time.

Black
    1999 WS6

I beleive I have done that before. If I remeber correct, there are two specific fuses to pull and you have to do it with the ignition to the on position or something then let it sit. I forget. I think I have it wrote down somewhere.

No engine yet, they were out of stock. I should have it by end of next week.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Hey Brian..
    I went ahead and ordered the double roller chain set from Comp's own site as it was about $40.00 cheaper that LMperformance. I'll sleep a little better knowing that the motor's a bit more protected. *SIGH* What's another $125.00 lol I can also consider changing the cam's timing

Black
    1999 WS6

Well I orderd more,

Picked up the Spec stage III clutch

Dual Timing Chain

and

Powerbond underdrive pulley

You think the steel retainers are enough or are the titanium retainers a must?

Purple
    TVR Chimera with LS6

Quote Originally Posted by belairtx55 View Post
    I went to one of the magazine articles on the internet that did a comparison between the xr265 the xr275 and xr281. Here is what they found. There base performance with the stock cam and mods was HP/TQ 407/409 xr265HR had 439/426, the xr275 had 450/422 and the xr281 had 455/421, but the dyno showed the xr 281 was still gaining hp at the rev limit of 6200. They didnít test past it so they are guestimating that the max power is somewhere around 6500 rpms. According to the artical, for the xr 281 you will need to adjust the timing and fuel curves to maximize the top end of this cam, as well as set the rev up to 6800rpms.

So of course I went with the xr281!!!!!

Add bigger fuel rails and injectors to the list....

Add Tuning to the list!
    belair - are the above numbers on and LS1 or 6?

My First Post!!

Purple
    TVR Chimera with LS6

Also are these cam's belair is talking about beyond and LS6 cam?

Also I can't work out why a std LS1 is making around 400bhp? In Europe the LS1's in the Camaro and base C5 Vette were rated at about 345bhp.

Are you rating the power on a different measurement system.

i.e. my LS6 on custon exhaust and correctly setup ecu running on 95 octane on a well thought of rollers in the UK make 390bhp.

An LS6 (C5 Z06) is supposed to make 405bhp (I have the badge in the TVR's boot). A std LS1 should be about 60 bhp less than this (not around the same) - have similar figure on same roller of other LS6 cars at aroun 390 - 400bhp (i.e. very close to what Chevy say they should make).
    Last edited by jellison; 06-15-2007 at 07:10 AM.

Black
    1999 WS6

I Dont Know The Specs On A Stock Ls6 Cam But I Am Sure That There Are People In Here That Could Tell You. The Ls6 Is Making 400hp Not The Ls1. The Engine We Are Buying Is The Gm Replacement Engine For The Cadillac Suv. Its Only 400 Hp Vs The Z06 Ls6 With 405 Hp. Your Correct On The Ls1 Hp It Ranges From 305 To 325 I Think. Back To The Ls6 Engines, The Only Difference From What I Have Been Told Is The Exhaust Ports. The Cadillac Version Has Smaller Exhaust Ports, My Guess Is To Increase Back Pressure Inturn Creating More Torque, Since The Vehicle Is Much Bigger That It Was Intended For. I Could Be Way Wrong On The Purpose. I Plan On Port And Polishing The Heads So The Cost Difference Between The Two Engines At Approx $2000 Offsets Easily For The 5 Hp Loss. I Can Do The Exahust Ports At The House. Increasing The Hp Back To 405 Base And Keeping The $2000 For My Other Parts! Hope This Helped.

Purple
    TVR Chimera with LS6

Alot more diferent on the 6 to the 1 than just the ports. Compression, sodium filled valve, possibly higher rocker ratio, more windage galleries in the block. Can rev a 6 harder as std rev limit is 6.5 up from 6.1.

Not sure a good idea to rev a 1 to high 6's without uprated valve springs and arp rod bolts.

Black
    2000Z-28

Are you sure about that ? Everybody else says the motors are the same EXCEPT you. Not calling bs, just really curious

Purple
    TVR Chimera with LS6

Quote Originally Posted by jellison View Post
    Alot more diferent on the 6 to the 1 than just the ports. Compression, sodium filled valve, possibly higher rocker ratio, more windage galleries in the block. Can rev a 6 harder as std rev limit is 6.5 up from 6.1.

Not sure a good idea to rev a 1 to high 6's without uprated valve springs and arp rod bolts.
    All well documented if you do the reseach. Need at least arp boldt to bet to 6500 maybe a bit beyond and then over that ls6 ratio rockers (1.7) or higher but also the heavy weight valve springs to avoid valve bounce.

LS7 std rev limit is 7k I think.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6// LS6

Brian

Good choice on the engine, you'll love it!! I just got done doing this exact same swap this week.
    I left the cam that comes with it in it for now. My budget was running thin, and I figured 420 some horses would be okay for a while. I also got an ls6 intake, then modifyed it for EGR, PA is almost as bad as Cali with emission. And put Long tube headers on it from American Racing, with their catted Y-pipe. There is no better time to do it then when you have the engine out! BTW I highly reccomend them. Ground Clearance is awsome, and the fit was perfect. Not even 400 Miles on it yet. A huge power increase to my stock '98 Trans Am. The stock tune for a '98 handles this engine fine. Not to say you don't need a tune, but you can get by for a while without it.

This is a True Ls6 engine like 01LSS6Camaro said. I too did doubt at first, but I did a lot of reserch and this is the replacement engine for the CTS-V for 04-05, its not an SUV engine. Thats comming straight from GM. The slight power decrease from 405 in the Vette to 400 is due to the CTS-V's slightly more restrictive exhaust system.

Other things you will need to transfer while putting it in.
    -The temp sensor that comes with the engine is a 2 wire sensor the one your your f-body is 3
    -The oil level sensor also has a different connector
    -The engine doesn't come with an oil pressure sensor, that has to be transfered, all other sensors are the same
    -The engine doesn't come with coolant cross-over tubes or gaskets so you'll have to transfer either the ones from your other engine, if you use your stock intake. Or if your going to upgrade to the ls6 style you'll have to buy them as well.
    -The balancer pulley is different, shorter then your '99
    -The ls6 block has a revised PCV system, your going to either have to fab. one up or just bite the bullet and buy the Ls6 Pcv valve assembly for an 02 Vette.
    -Dipstick tube has to be transfered.
    And just so all you guys know the Oil Pan that comes with this engine is almost identical to the F-body one. You do not have to change it or the sump system, IT WILL FIT!
    Let me know if you have any other questions

Oh and make sure you change the pilot bearing in the crank, its different. Its always fun your when your putting the t56 back in and your like "WTF!, whats going on, when it won't butt up to the bellhousing"

Steve
    Last edited by Steve83ta; 09-26-2007 at 05:40 PM. Reason: add

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Steve83ta View Post
    Brian

Good choice on the engine, you'll love it!! I just got done doing this exact same swap this week.
    I left the cam that comes with it in it for now. My budget was running thin, and I figured 420 some horses would be okay for a while. I also got an ls6 intake, then modifyed it for EGR, PA is almost as bad as Cali with emission. And put Long tube headers on it from American Racing, with their catted Y-pipe. There is no better time to do it then when you have the engine out! BTW I highly reccomend them. Ground Clearance is awsome, and the fit was perfect. Not even 400 Miles on it yet. A huge power increase to my stock '98 Trans Am. The stock tune for a '98 handles this engine fine. Not to say you don't need a tune, but you can get by for a while without it.

This is a True Ls6 engine like 01LSS6Camaro said. I too did doubt at first, but I did a lot of reserch and this is the replacement engine for the CTS-V for 04-05, its not an SUV engine. Thats comming straight from GM. The slight power decrease from 405 in the Vette to 400 is due to the CTS-V's slightly more restrictive exhaust system.

Other things you will need to transfer while putting it in.
    -The temp sensor that comes with the engine is a 2 wire sensor the one your your f-body is 3
    -The oil level sensor also has a different connector
    -The engine doesn't come with an oil pressure sensor, that has to be transfered, all other sensors are the same
    -The engine doesn't come with coolant cross-over tubes or gaskets so you'll have to transfer either the ones from your other engine, if you use your stock intake. Or if your going to upgrade to the ls6 style you'll have to buy them as well.
    -The balancer pulley is different, shorter then your '99
    -The ls6 block has a revised PCV system, your going to either have to fab. one up or just bite the bullet and buy the Ls6 Pcv valve assembly for an 02 Vette.
    -Dipstick tube has to be transfered.
    And just so all you guys know the Oil Pan that comes with this engine is almost identical to the F-body one. You do not have to change it or the sump system, IT WILL FIT!
    Let me know if you have any other questions

Oh and make sure you change the pilot bearing in the crank, its different. Its always fun your when your putting the t56 back in and your like "WTF!, whats going on, when it won't butt up to the bellhousing"

Steve
    Steve you just answered a lot of my questions. I have a 98 Z28 that I'm looking at making the swap. How did you address the sensor wiring 2 to 3 plus connectors? Any issues with fuel pressure? I heard the LS6 needs 28 psi and the LS1 is set up for 24 psi. Any way you could send me a list of what you made or bought to complete the swap and what it cost? I'm chomping at the bit to get started but I want to have everything ordered when I order the engine.

Also about how long did the job take? I was hoping to complete in a weekend.

Thanks man you just made my day.

Dennis

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6// LS6

The sensor issue is really a non issue, just reuse the sensors from your orginal '98, the stock 98 ls1 came with 28lb injectors, which is what I believe the 02 ls6's came with if I remember correctly. Fuel pressure should be just fine. Stock runs around 45 psi.

Ill add everything up when I can. I don't have everything on hand at the moment. I also did a lot of other things. Headers which I mentioned, and a complete rebuild of my t-56. The kit for that alone was 700 hundred something, practly a viper spec. now.

As for how long it took to do the job. I didn't actually do the engine swap my self. But I did just about everything else. The Engine must come out though the bottom, you either have to have a lift, or a jack that can go pretty damn high so you can slide the cross member out from underneith the car with then engine on it. I didn't have that much free time, couldn't do it at work because its around a 15 hour job. I couldn't risk having the car stuck on my lift on Monday if somthing went wrong during the swap. (Im a Mercedes-Benz Factory trained tech.) For the shop that I have gone to for years to do it, it came to about $1500.

Ill try to get you the prices asap

Steve

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6// LS6

The sensor issue is no big deal, just swap the sensors off your ls1 thats comming out. The stock '98 injectors are 28 lb, I believe the 02 ls6 engines in the Vette were the same. Ill try to get a list together, I don't have all the info this sec. but Ill get it. I also did a lot of other things including rebuilding my t56 to the tune of $700 something, ls6 clutch kit, replacing both the master and slave cylinders, ls6 intake, and headers, and there is a ton of other small parts.

As for the job. I didn't actually do the motor swap myself. I've been very busy lately and don't have the time. Its about a 15 hour job, and I couldn't risk tying up my lift for more then one day if something didn't go right and not being able to finish it in a weekend. (Im a factory trained Mercedes-Benz techand work for a dealership) The motor has to come out the bottom of the car, so you either have to have a lift, or a jack that can go really high so you can drop the fron't suspension and engine cradel. I took it to a shop that I trust and had them drop the motor and put the new one in.. It was about $1500

Ill try to get a full list together asap

Steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information