Thread: Need new engine

black
    95 z28, 05 Altima

Need new engine

I broke my car again this weekend and now have a really bad rod knock. I understand that this pretty much means I need to rebuild or get a new motor. I have a 95 LT1 camaro.

I wanted to get opinions on what kind of motors you recommend. I have been thinking of getting away from the LT1 (which I loved) because of it short comings. After some research I have found just buying a complete motor could be less costly. I am kind of interested in a stroker motor but any suggestions would be welcome. I would like to stay under $6,000

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Give me a place to stand. levityinc3's Avatar

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/Ho...s/build_it.jsp

In your price range I'd say either an LS1 or LS2, but there are better venues for cheap motors. If I had to replace my motor however, I'd put an LS7 in it.

black
    95 z28, 05 Altima

Well I think that I have decided to stay with a LT1. I really don't want to face the issues with chaning pcm, wiring and mounts, Plus I think i can get the power that I am looking for with the lt1.

I have found some vendors that sell the entire long block made to order. With so many options I am needing more information.

One of the option is 1.5 or 1.6 rocker arm. Can someone tell me what the pro and cons gain between the two?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by levityinc3 View Post
    http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/Ho...s/build_it.jsp

In your price range I'd say either an LS1 or LS2, but there are better venues for cheap motors. If I had to replace my motor however, I'd put an LS7 in it.
    You would buy an LS7. It would sound cool to say you have an LS7, but someone who payed thousands, thousands less for a stroker would blow you away. LS7 is a great engine, but still over priced for the power level you get. Way better options out there for less money and more HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbizkit View Post
    Well I think that I have decided to stay with a LT1. I really don't want to face the issues with chaning pcm, wiring and mounts, Plus I think i can get the power that I am looking for with the lt1.

I have found some vendors that sell the entire long block made to order. With so many options I am needing more information.

One of the option is 1.5 or 1.6 rocker arm. Can someone tell me what the pro and cons gain between the two?
    Just valve lift added to whatever cam you choose. If staying with stock cam, it might be worth it. If not, it might hinder you with some aftermarket cams. Im not real fimilar with LT1's, but I dont see going to 1.6's being any problem really. In LS1's, going to 1.8 can cause problems just becuase most LS grinds are based upon the 1.7 RA ratio.

Give me a place to stand. levityinc3's Avatar

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    You would buy an LS7. It would sound cool to say you have an LS7, but someone who payed thousands, thousands less for a stroker would blow you away. LS7 is a great engine, but still over priced for the power level you get. Way better options out there for less money and more HP.

Just valve lift added to whatever cam you choose. If staying with stock cam, it might be worth it. If not, it might hinder you with some aftermarket cams. Im not real fimilar with LT1's, but I dont see going to 1.6's being any problem really. In LS1's, going to 1.8 can cause problems just becuase most LS grinds are based upon the 1.7 RA ratio.
    You are correct. I would put an LS7 in my car, just to say I have an LS7 in it. And then twin turbo.

Of course it's overpriced. But I mean, if I had the money, I'd probably flaunt it.

Thread Information