Pewter
    1999 TA M6

Need a little help with a cam.

I just ordered a TSP 224R 112LSA cam with 918 springs and hardened pushrods and was wondering if the stock tune would be alright for now since it is an M6 with a few bolt ons. I drive the car about 40-50 miles a day and need it to perform pretty good as a daily driver. I talked to a couple of people at TSP and they said that it should do fine with stock tune, but may need to crack the throttle a hair. I have heard that this cam produces some decent numbers but was wondering what i should expect in gains. Also does lobe separation have anything to do with hp?

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Post Camshaft Basics

Taken from:
    http://www.wallaceracing.com/cambasics.htm

The lobe separation angle is basically the measurement in degrees of the angle between the intake and exhaust lobes, and is generally between 104 and 118 degrees. This measurement may also be denoted as the lobe displacement angle. Intake and exhaust duration along with the lobe separation angle and camshaft lift combine to determine the amount of overlap, which is the amount of time in which both valves are open. Excess overlap can hurt low rpm performance, and will cause an engine to idle poorly. However, in some engines large amounts of overlap can help high rpm performance by scavenging the cylinders and improving volumetric efficiency. Assuming the lobe separation angle remains the same, the more lift and duration a camshaft has the more overlap it will have. A greater lobe displacement will decrease the amount of overlap, lift and duration being the same. Generally, smaller lobe separation angles cause an engine to produce more midrange torque and high rpm power, and be more responsive, while larger lobe separation angles result in broader torque, improved idle characteristics, and more peak horsepower.

Thread Information